Hands question

Token7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was on facebook the other day and the legendary street fight between kimbo (rip) and Sean Gannon was going viral for whatever reason so I watched it and was completely intrigued how 2 big guys beat the heal out of each other for 10 minutes with just hands and (from what I know and could see) they didn't break their hands?

Matter of fact any of kimbos famous street fights, HOW did he never break his hands???

And before anyone puts, yes Ive seen sinisters fist thread and it is GREAT, seriously. I just don't think kimbo or any of the savage street fighters he fought are forming their fist like that.....

Any ideas? Extremely curious to know if anyone has any insight and if there's something I'm missing here.

I think the likelyhood of breaking your hands is overstated (mostly by TMA guys ). It happens relatively often but I'm pretty sure you know a lot of guys who had street fights and how any broke their hands?
Maybe they didn't have the greatest training but if you fight bareknuckle regularly you probably learn how to hit properly or teach it to yourself along the way.
Also these are guys with many street fights those who have naturally vulnerable hands probably filtered out it#s survival of the fittest in sports and fighting

I think the likelyhood of breaking your hands is overstated (mostly by TMA guys ). It happens relatively often but I'm pretty sure you know a lot of guys who had street fights and how any broke their hands?
Maybe they didn't have the greatest training but if you fight bareknuckle regularly you probably learn how to hit properly or teach it to yourself along the way.
Also these are guys with many street fights those who have naturally vulnerable hands probably filtered out it#s survival of the fittest in sports and fighting
Not that common to break hands, very common to injure wrists.
Source: friend paramedic and personal exp.
Also:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/403306-i-sprained-my-wrist-from-boxing/

When I was in my teens, my friends and I used to spar in the park bare knuckle because we couldn't afford real training. I'm not saying it wasn't a stupid thing for a bunch of 16 year olds to be doing, but I will say we never had any hand injuries. I'd have to echo what other people have said, I think the hand breaks are exaggerated in traditional martial arts as a selling point.

And in truth I don't think Kimbo was really hitting that hard in those street fights, I think he was probably careful not to hurt his hands. I don't recall him ever swinging haymakers, I remember him being a fairly reserved fighter despite the image that competitive street fighting probably conjures in your mind.

Actually the breaking hand thing is from boxers.

One reason I think is boxers hit freaking HARD!!! They know how to hit. Kimbo and other street fighters are swinging for the fences but you rarely if ever see a KO. I hear mostly boxers talk about their hands breaking.

As for why it's going viral, I think cuz the kids are just finding out about it and it was a really good fight.

Well the overall media coverage of bare knuckle fights is not really well covered, generally hand breaks are reported in the media at a higher level of a sport.

I think you would need to talk to someone heavily involved in the scene to get a better understanding of the injuries incurred.

That bare knuckle gypsy guy who supposedly is the best bare knuckle fighter in the world talks about how he broke his hands multiple times

You break your hands mainly on the heavy bag. That is done mainly by boxers. I have been with a proper boxing coach for 2 weeks and I already injured my jabbing wrist and I just started feeling pain in my right wrist too, as soon as I started doing the right cross properly. It is lack of conditioning rather than heavy hits though.

The most powerful shots are the hooks, a boxing coach will tell you not to hook a heavy bag at all in order to protect yourself and mainly work with straight punches on it.

Most bareknuckle fighters have first very poor technique to do a proper force on a hit. Most kickboxers and other fights sports including kicks, do not do as many hits as boxers do in a training day with their punches. Boxers work tons on a heavy bag, it is even a more important tool than pads for them. You use gloves to protect your hands, but when hitting a heavy bag with a proper technique for an hour everyday it is a bit too much.

You break your hands mainly on the heavy bag. That is done mainly by boxers. I have been with a proper boxing coach for 2 weeks and I already injured my jabbing wrist and I just started feeling pain in my right wrist too, as soon as I started doing the right cross properly. It is lack of conditioning rather than heavy hits though.

The most powerful shots are the hooks, a boxing coach will tell you not to hook a heavy bag at all in order to protect yourself and mainly work with straight punches on it.

Most bareknuckle fighters have first very poor technique to do a proper force on a hit. Most kickboxers and other fights sports including kicks, do not do as many hits as boxers do in a training day with their punches. Boxers work tons on a heavy bag, it is even a more important tool than pads for them. You use gloves to protect your hands, but when hitting a heavy bag with a proper technique for an hour everyday it is a bit too much.
Haha no.

unfortunatley he's right that why most boxers replace there hands with plaster of paris just look at guys like margarita and luis resto
ive only heard of new people breaking hands on a heavy bag. I've never had a boxing coach tell me not to throw hooks on the bag
An hour of bag work a day isn't too much.

ive only heard of new people breaking hands on a heavy bag. I've never had a boxing coach tell me not to throw hooks on the bag
An hour of bag work a day isn't too much.
i was joking Margarita and Luis Resto are two boxers who got caught cheating.
I agree with you, although i think an hour on the heavy bag straight seems weird to me. Even the most ymca type boxing gyms i have gone too have a more varied and well developed training session then just a hour straight hitting the heavy bag. As far as just personal trying even then an hour seems excessive when you could be doing shadow boxing, speed bag, double end bag, slip bag, Footwork exercises, etc.. instead of just straight bag work.
that being said an hour of straight bag work doesn't have to be just straight flailing on the bag there a myriad of different ways to hit the bag to work on different components of Boxing, etc, so not trying to shit on bag work. just saying that a gym that only does hours of bagwork with no hooks on the bag seems odd

Punching bareknuckle/with mma gloves is another skill. Some adjustments are needed; hooks are different, forearms can be used for striking, two big knucled twisting karate straights can be used, etc.

Elaborate...

Boxing fracture accrues mostly in a fracture between the ring and the little finger bones that connect with the wrist. The majority of boxing gloves are made in a way that it is hard to punch with a full fist, which is a reason for accidental hits these 2 bones. Hooks and uppercuts connect with these 2 bones more often than straight hits. Boxers do more punches in a life time than any other sport. Additionally an average work out for a top or a professional includes about 30 rounds in which most of them are done at the boxing bag. I have no academic evidence behind, just expressing my logical thoughts, so not engaging anyone with my opinion.

I was on facebook the other day and the legendary street fight between kimbo (rip) and Sean Gannon was going viral for whatever reason so I watched it and was completely intrigued how 2 big guys beat the heal out of each other for 10 minutes with just hands and (from what I know and could see) they didn't break their hands?

Matter of fact any of kimbos famous street fights, HOW did he never break his hands???

And before anyone puts, yes Ive seen sinisters fist thread and it is GREAT, seriously. I just don't think kimbo or any of the savage street fighters he fought are forming their fist like that.....

Any ideas? Extremely curious to know if anyone has any insight and if there's something I'm missing here.

The old timers (bare knuckled boxers) used the three knuckle landing. For what it's worth, (with all due respect to sinister) I think it is the best way to land a punch without hurting your hand and/or wrist.

Check out Jack Dempsey's book if you want detailed info about this technique.

Lol.........You people do make me laugh.......you break your hand hitting people's skulls, most bare knuckle fighters used to work the body of their opponents, plus the possible chance of an infection from getting your knuckles cut open on someone's mouth, which could have been deadly before the introduction of antibiotics.

One thing that always bugs me is when I hear people say the human hand is not evolved to punch.... yes it is.

Back