Hand Strength.

Hang onto a bar, possibly with a judo/bjj Gi.

Hey folks, I would like some advice on hand conditioning regarding Joint Ligament and Muscle Strengthening exercises and methods to avoid injury.
I currently have a small degenerative thumb knuckle (interphalangeal joint) change as a 47 year old and want to improve and continue my training.
Location of affected area as below...........

View attachment 428639

This was affected or flared due to hard impact boxing just wearing gloves and the thumb pointing forward. : (
Can you offer any remedial and conditioning exercises that would help in this area.
There is no dislocation or fracture just cartilage deterioration or wearing out.
Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

you could benefit from rolling up and down a towel (like this) and working the extensors with a rubber band:
images

john brookfield has many more good low tech hand endurance tips. maybe you look up his stuff.

also there is some sort of plastic gravel which you can put into a bucket and do the karate open/close hand exercises without fucking up your hands like you would with real gravel or sand.

since there are no muscles directly surrounding the big thumb joint, you should be careful with all the heavy strengthening stuff.
strength work is great but in some cases like the with the thumb joint it could just make things worse. just try it.

i know people who got great results from finger qigong.

Thank you for suggestion I am going to see a Doctor / Surgeon once he clears me I will probably get into this stuff rehab exercises as the pain is still very much ongoing.

Thank you for suggestion I am going to see a Doctor / Surgeon once he clears me I will probably get into this stuff rehab exercises as the pain is still very much ongoing.
I spent 30 bucks on iron minds rubber bands its just some golden goose cash cow .. don't waste your money unless you got money to waste..
get a Horse-Shoe dumbbell looking 3 lb dumbbell ( you can get it at any sporting good store ) don't waste your money on Iron Minds , Captain of Crush , or one of those fancy looking dog toys looking things.. most of that amazon stuff is crap

get a Horse- Show 3 lb dumbbell .. door knob turns then do palm up slowly as many reps as you can until you feel that burning .. then you stop ice it .. and do it again the next day

no corpse is right .. you need to keep working it don't let it just sit there it is not getting better

I let this bitch female ( neigbhor of mine) talk me into not rehabbing it .. and it just got weaker .. she said just" stretch it just heat it .." told me to spend a lot of money on paraffin wax .. what a joke

Last edited:
I am attempting to make my own hand grippers that are akin to the CoC's I have a CoC trainer that is rated by them at "100lbs" however, when I had it gauged at the lab here at work, it was only 70lbs. Does anybody know at what point on the handle of the grippers that IronMind uses to gauge the resistance level?
That is normal. Some dudes came up with a "Redneck Gripper Calibrator" (google it) and found out the printed numbers don't really match reality.

This is something similar:
https://www.dieselcrew.com/articles-pdf/gripperhierarchy.pdf

Do manual labor. Farmers will crush your hands when they shake them.

Back