Hand positioning for hooks

Kaiserjuan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I actually thought that your fist can be horizontal to the floor (palm facing down) or vertical (thumb up) when throwing a hook.
It comes way more natural to me to throw the hook (left or right) with my hand in a thumb up position, the other way was just not comfortable enough.

I then come across this Freddie Roach video where he insists on the palm down position for hooks and doesn't even consider the thumb up as an option or variation.

So I decide to try it out a few times but every 2 or 3 punches my wrist kinda bends, this happens especially with full power hooks. I must specify that my wrist is probably small for a 30yo man whilst my hooks are quite powerful and my arms and forearms are quite big when compared to the wrist.
On the other hand, I have no proble whatsoever throwing thumb-up hooks and I feel I can get all the power into them.

Thumb up is easier on the hands imo some fighters even do pinkie up lol I don't think it matters

LinedDeterminedFinwhale-size_restricted.gif

here is GGG using both.

use whichever works best. he tried vertical, and then made an adjustment.

I think it depends on the range. I find palm down to be better/easier if it's close and definitely thumb up is better for far away hooks.

I use a mixture of both also. Both works. I don't understand why some coaches prefer one way or the other, especially, a caliber like Roach.

I also think a lot has to do with the angle. Look at the above gif, he threw the hooks depending on the angles. Thumb up is also better/easier to land on knuckles on certain angles, whereas palm down, you might land on your pinky on certain angles. I think angling matters a lot which kinda goes back to the range and proximity.

In the end, Both works and both can KO. Use whatever you're comfortable.

I've always been told to do thumb up if the range is longer, palm down if you are in close. Been told this by both American and Thai trainers.

I've always been told to do thumb up if the range is longer, palm down if you are in close. Been told this by both American and Thai trainers.

I've been taught from Thais the same thing. The closer your hook, the more it must feel like throwing an elbow... so palm downs...
Long distance hooks should be thumbs up to give you the ability to trap the opponents hand or grab the head to go to the clinch...
But that's for MT, don't know the rules/logic for boxing.

Last edited:
horizontal (palm facing down) I feel i get shitload more power, but palms in its safer on my wrist

I think it depends on the range. I find palm down to be better/easier if it's close and definitely thumb up is better for far away hooks.

I use a mixture of both also. Both works. I don't understand why some coaches prefer one way or the other, especially, a caliber like Roach.

I also think a lot has to do with the angle. Look at the above gif, he threw the hooks depending on the angles. Thumb up is also better/easier to land on knuckles on certain angles, whereas palm down, you might land on your pinky on certain angles. I think angling matters a lot which kinda goes back to the range and proximity.

In the end, Both works and both can KO. Use whatever you're comfortable.

This sums up my opinion as well.

I think it really depends on the range, if real short range, thumbs up or palms down both works imo if middle range palm face down, if long range, thumbs up again for that extra reach.
Thumbs up in mid range is real sucky since it puts your arm and shoulder in an awkward/ unnatural position.

Thumbs up to the body. thumb up/down to the head, which ever you prefer. You can use both styles. I generally use thumb up.

Thumbs up to the body. thumb up/down to the head, which ever you prefer. You can use both styles. I generally use thumb up.

I've always switched it up on my hooks. I'm short for a heavyweight, so I do a lot of inside work. I'll double up hooks and throw a thumb up to the body, thumb down to the head, then reverse it.

I've always switched it up on my hooks. I'm short for a heavyweight, so I do a lot of inside work. I'll double up hooks and throw a thumb up to the body, thumb down to the head, then reverse it.

never seen thumbs down to the body before.

So I actually thought that your fist can be horizontal to the floor (palm facing down) or vertical (thumb up) when throwing a hook.
It comes way more natural to me to throw the hook (left or right) with my hand in a thumb up position, the other way was just not comfortable enough.

I then come across this Freddie Roach video where he insists on the palm down position for hooks and doesn't even consider the thumb up as an option or variation.

So I decide to try it out a few times but every 2 or 3 punches my wrist kinda bends, this happens especially with full power hooks. I must specify that my wrist is probably small for a 30yo man whilst my hooks are quite powerful and my arms and forearms are quite big when compared to the wrist.
On the other hand, I have no proble whatsoever throwing thumb-up hooks and I feel I can get all the power into them.

The key to throwing the hook palm down is to keep the elbow at level or slightly higher than the fist. Also, the punch works best when the arm is bent close to 90 degrees.

As a number of posters have said, most people teach thumb down for close range and thumb up for long range.

I'll try to explain a bit why that is the case:

Generally, when your close to your opponent, you'll want your guard up high and your opponent likely will have his guard up high.

Try throwing hooks with the hand on different angles and you may notice that pronating the hand (thumb down) forces you the probate the rest of the arm and shoulder a bit, raising the shoulder which protects the chin more.
This is excellent in close range as a defensive part of the technique.

On the offensive - at close range the opponent is likely to have an active guard and not leave many openings. The opening that you'll commonly be looking for with your hooks though is over the top of the shoulder and upper arm. They represent a horizontal plane when defending, so if your attacking weapon as also on a horizontal plane (thumb down) you increase your chance of penetrating the opponent's guard.

Throwing a thumb-up hook at short range can have a "square peg round hole" feel at times for this reason.

Back