Hand Health (Calluses)

I was reading starting strength again recently and supposedly the way you grip the bar can increase the liklihood of tearing a callous. Gripping it closer to your wrist in your hand on deadlifts causes you to fold more skin when you grab it, leading to more tears. The book has a really good picture showing the discription.

My lady-boy callus tore from deadlifting and I think it was more about how I was grabbing the bar. Before I was just grabbing it and not putting much thought into it. Now I try to stretch the area where my fingers meet my hands by rubbing that area on the bar and then I tighten my grip. Haven't had any issues at all since then and my deadlift is heavier now.

I was reading starting strength again recently and supposedly the way you grip the bar can increase the liklihood of tearing a callous. Gripping it closer to your wrist in your hand on deadlifts causes you to fold more skin when you grab it, leading to more tears. The book has a really good picture showing the discription.

This is what I do and I've never really had problems with callouses but maybe I don't pull enough weight yet for it to become a consistent issue. I hold the bar right at the base of my fingers so there is very little skin to pinch. I've also read that some people are just more lucky (or unlucky) than others.

I use the Badger Balm that Donny talks about every day and a nail file when necessary...

This is what I do and I've never really had problems with callouses but maybe I don't pull enough weight yet for it to become a consistent issue. I hold the bar right at the base of my fingers so there is very little skin to pinch. I've also read that some people are just more lucky (or unlucky) than others.

Rip has a video on this too, showing correct bar placement in the hand and what happens if you hold the bar too close to the wrist. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here you go:

Starting Strength

Don't know how to embed a Vimeo vid, sorry.

Back