Halloween (Jamie Lee Curtis Returning; October 19, 2018 Release Date)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Adamant, Jun 15, 2015.

1. brokenjaw

brokenjaw Green Belt

I read it on 4chan's /tv/ board then i found a reddit thread that had some spoilers but was cleansed of spoilers except for one which reveals the ending.

2. Adamant

Adamant GOLD BELT

Can you post a link to the ending one?

Also, if you see any more spoilers in the future, that'd be great if you could link them here (in spoiler tags of course).

3. Adamant

Adamant GOLD BELT

But if you cut it back to just the original film, her main encounter with Michael was basically a 10 minute ordeal. I know traumatic things can happen to people that affect them for years, but are we really supposed to believe that a 10 minute cat & mouse chase is supposed to affect her so deeply that 40 years later she's still obsessed? Seems totally contrived. There's people who've been brutally raped who let it go after 5-10 years. I'd really have to be stretching to believe her encounter with Michael in H1 was more traumatic than a rape. (I know she saw her friend's dead bodies and also had a highly stressful physical confrontation with Michael, but still.... 10 minutes).

Now, if we had the history of H1 + HII, then her obsession would seem more legit (as it did in H20). Even better with H1 + HII + H20. But doing all this for the sake of erasing the brother sister thing is lame. I would have rather they kept HII and H20 alive and just gave us a contrived reason for them "not really being related" as opposed to the contrived bit we're getting now that erases practically everything.

Not to mention they've written themselves into a corner with old man Myers. The only option after this is to reboot again, unless they want to make some quick followups. (I wouldn't mind a trilogy, I suppose). But they were already making "old" jokes in H20, 20 years ago. It's gonna be a little awkward 40 years later.

I will see this, but boy..... I think I'm more anticipating the next one, rather than this one. At least there's a chance the next one will be more interesting. Especially if they reboot. As is, the trailer lacked suspense, atmosphere, and dread. I hope I'm dead wrong, but it isn't often a disappointing trailer is followed up with an amazing movie. We'll see.

4. Senzo Tanaka

Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

I'm really digging this behind the scenes shot. The mask looks great. Easily my favorite since part 1 and 2.

Some people aren't happy that it looks close to the Rob Zombie one but this one legit looks like the original mask just decayed over 40 years in the evidence room. It looks nice and creepy.

[​IMG]

AndersonsFoot likes this.
  5. Senzo Tanaka

Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

I do think that they are out of ideas which is why we are getting a reboot in the first place. Carpenter had the right idea with Halloween 1 being a stand alone movie and the rest being anthology movies with different stories on Halloween.

I think the idea is after Michael gets shot off the balcony, he manages to crawl away but eventually is found and arrested by the police. Since it was such a big local event, Laurie is reminded of it every year and knows he's going to eventually get out again. I can definitely seeing the incident making her strong and wanting to kill him. He literally killed all of her friends in a single night and almost killed her. That's strong motivation.

Apparently we are going to get a lot of easter eggs from 2, 3 and others to make everyone happy. I do like the true crime take on the story but atmosphere and tension is crucial to make Halloween work and what I saw from the trailer, it's going to be lacking. It's just going to be a guy in the mask running around killing people. That's only part of what made Halloween work.

6. Adamant

Adamant GOLD BELT

This one sorta reminds me of the HII mask. But I'm not a fan of the neanderthal forehead.

[​IMG]

This was the best he looked in the entire trailer. I hope he looks like this in most of the film. In fact, it was practically the only shot of him I thought look good in the entire trailer:

[​IMG]

7. Adamant

Adamant GOLD BELT

Man, I hope to God he isn't just recaptured and sent back. I think it would be so much creepier if after he is shot and disappears, he just randomly shows back up at Smith's Grove, checking himself back in. That would actually be an insanely badass WTF moment. (I know we wont see it, but to hear someone describe it would be cool).

Simply getting recaptured by the police, especially after the awesome ending of H1, would elicit little more than a groan from me.

8. armbarforhire

armbarforhire Brown Belt

They should have used what in comics are known as soft reboots/retcons and it could all have worked.

You can have Laurie faking her death in a car accident(as told in H4) becaus eof her trauma and starting a new life (H20) then at the end of that film we see her jumping to te dark side a little after playing victim for so long to become Sarah Connors in this new one.

Problem is there are too many things that still have to be erased for It to work (Daniel Harri's characther dying in H6) , JLC dying in (H8), the whole cult thing, it would have been a complex film continuity wise for causal audiences and it stiill would have left hardcore fans unsatisfied with what details were retconed and what not ( pretty much I only like H1 and H2) .

AndersonsFoot and ufcfan4 like this.
  9. armbarforhire

armbarforhire Brown Belt

If they just find him a couple of blocks away passed out would be a real let down from the H1 ending.

10. MMouse

MMouse Brown Belt

11. armbarforhire

armbarforhire Brown Belt

I cant really tell by the blurry image but people say he is this guy getting his head smashed around by Michael, probably thats the way he will lose his teeth.

trailer is probably edited to make it look like Michael is headbutting the bathroom, its pretty common by trailer makers to basically create new scenes by editing dialogue and images (do you bleed! from BvS comes to mind).

[​IMG]

MMouse likes this.
  12. armbarforhire

armbarforhire Brown Belt

13. the ambush

the ambush Black Belt

Did they really have to visit the psycho ward/asylum and explain Michael, again? That was what made the first 5-6 movies so enjoyable it kind of left Michael’s psychological and emotional state up to the viewer’s interpretation. This was what I also hated the most about the contemporary RZ Halloween movies, the detailed explanation behind Michael. Meh.

14. AndersonsFoot

AndersonsFoot Brown Belt

If we’re supposed to believe he’s just a regular guy though he would’ve been really messed up after the events of H1. Stabbed with a knitting needle and a clothes hanger, shot multiple times, plus the fall.

He would’ve been struggling to move and with so many people looking for him it would’ve been pretty easy to find him. I see what you’re saying though.

15. fonzob1

fonzob1 Red Belt

Watched the trailer today. It looks good. It also looks like it completely ignores H2O, which is for the best since that movie sucked. I will definitely be giving it a chance.

16. adam199

adam199 Purple Belt Platinum Member

Looks very meh. I hate horror films where the main character fights back successfully and without fear. Hopelessness is part of what made the original so terrifying. She was just an average innocent girl trying to fend off a force of nature.

bandicoot likes this.
  17. Senzo Tanaka

Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

Every woman has to be a warrior and badass now. That's the new narrative.

18. Adamant

Adamant GOLD BELT

I'm really bummed out they're calling this "Halloween" with no numbers or subtitles. Seriously, we now have three movies in the franchise that are called "Halloween".

And if there's a direct sequel to this, what are they going to call it? Ugh. This is so dumb.

fonzob1 likes this.
  19. Adamant

Adamant GOLD BELT

That's definitely not Michael. That's the British guy from the beginning of the trailer, who shows Michael the mask. Also, the bathroom scene takes place at the mechanic shop. She goes for a piss while the guy is looking around. He finds the dead mechanic, and then from there it cuts into the bathroom encounter.

Oh please God, they better not be making Michael "just some regular guy". Michael isn't just some regular Scream killer-type guy. who's nothing more than a regular man in a costume. He's definitely got a supernatural element to him, and if they completely do away with that, I'm going to be really upset as an uber fan of the franchise. The streak of shit will continue, Strike 4. (They don't need to hit the supernatural aspects on the head like they did in some of the later films, but they can hint at it and allude to it, just as they did in the first film).

AndersonsFoot likes this.
  20. MMouse

MMouse Brown Belt

I wish they would get more into depth of mike obtaining supernatural feats.

I guess they left it up to the audience to imagine it?

His sister has aged, while the guy is still prime time. Literally need supernatural USADA to test him