Halloween (Jamie Lee Curtis Returning; October 19, 2018 Release Date) | Page 27

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Adamant, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    So now Laurie has three different children in three different timelines? Holy fuck. This would have been vastly more interesting if they'd have hired Danielle Harris to play Jamie Lloyd once again, as Laurie's daughter. The dynamic of blending H4 with H20 would have been amazing and would have made for some deep family drama.

I normally tend to dislike retcons but I couldn't possibly be MORE in favor of it for the Terminator franchise. Literally everything not directed by James Cameron is shit so them making this a direct sequel to T2 is much welcome. (Though it once again not being directed by Cameron is worrisome, I have hope because of how much he's involved and how much the new director seems to love the first two movies and loves Cameron) so we should be good. I hope.

As for Halloween, back when H20 came out I hated it so damn much that they ignored H4-H6. I'd rather this film was a direct sequel to H20 and ignored HR-RZH2, rather than being a direct sequel to either H1 or HII. But whatever. At the end of the day I'm just happy that we're finally getting the REAL Michael Myers back and not that RZ trash. It's about time we have another good and legitimate Haloween film. We haven't had one since 1998. That's too damn long. But thankfully there are reports that say Carpenter is "heavily" involved in the creative process, and no one knows Myers better, so that's a great sign.

I'll be going in a couple of weeks. It's the first time ever I'll have seen it on the big screen. I'm very excited. How many minutes does his interview run for?

BisexualMMA likes this.
  2. AndersonsFoot Brown Belt

AndersonsFoot
    I don't remember exactly but it felt like a good 15-20 minutes.

3. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    Officially, this is a direct sequel to the original film.

Speaking with Stereo Gum today, Carpenter spilled the beans.

It’s kind of a… I don’t know how to describe it. It’s almost an alternative reality,” Carpenter described the film. “It picks up after the first one and it pretends that none of the others were made. It’s gonna be fun. There’s a really talented director and it was well-written. I’m impressed.”

4. dawnignited 50 Shades of Shitposts

dawnignited
    Because that shit worked out so well for Halloween H20.

5. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    Well, H20 picked up after HII, so the brother/sister thing was still intact. But with this one picking up directly after the original, it means they're no longer related and Michael goes back to being a complete blank with no motive or reason at all. That's great. That's a breath of fresh air and opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for the future.

The biggest question mark I see is the 40 year gap. Why would Michael wait 40 years to return, and why specifically now? Has he been dormant this entire time? Might he be responsible for numerous unexplained killings over the years? Etc. As a direct sequel to H1, I think the overall story would have been better situated as a period piece taking place in the early 80s. But then obviously you wouldn't be able to include Jamie Lee Curtis. So, hopefully whatever story they worked out is really good and is more than just a simple one off. I don't want to wait another 9 years after this movie to get another one that's just another reboot. Hell, at this point, even a 3 year wait for the next one is gonna be painful for me. I really hope this one does so well and is so financially successful that they can bust out the next one in 2.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    AndersonsFoot and DM1982 like this.
  6. dawnignited 50 Shades of Shitposts

dawnignited
    I would have been fine with this, but that could also be my bias for Stranger Things and IT talking right now. In a way I'm glad JLC still has interest in these movies (especially after how badly Halloween Resurrection fucked things up) but I also just wish they'd go in a different direction at this point. I don't need these movies to keep focusing on Laurie/The Strodes. I'm hoping you're right about them nixing the sibling idea, at least. And if nothing else, I feel a little sense of hope with David Gordon Green involved along with McBride and Carpenter.

7. DM1982 Purple Belt

DM1982

'The biggest question mark I see is the 40 year gap. Why would Michael wait 40 years to return, and why specifically now? Has he been dormant this entire time?'

I don't know if you're legitimately asking this question; is something you feel would be a plothole for the upcoming movie,

but you answered it yourself really

'Michael goes back to being a complete blank with no motive or reason at all'

Who cares about the 40 year wait, what's he been doing - he's just an anonymous, terrifying 'Shape' who has returned.

8. TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

TheRuthlessOne
    And somehow and for some reason finds Jamie Lee again

riviting stuff

9. DM1982 Purple Belt

DM1982

If you don't like the movie or the thread, the door is that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bye.

10. TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

TheRuthlessOne
    If she was his sister it would make sense that he would continue to look for her

If you take away that it feels kinda funny that he just happens to run into her again

11. dabrian Orange Belt

dabrian
    JLC will still be Michael's sister, it would be just to weird to see her in a Halloween movie and her not be. I'm a big fan of H2 I hate to see them ignore it. I'm hoping Carpenter just misspoke.

12. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    Ok, but why now? What specifically makes him want to return this Halloween? He may be an anonymous shape but there has to be a reason why he's coming back now all of a sudden. I legitimately want to know what he's been up to for 40 years (and Laurie too for that matter). Even if it's just theory and not concrete. Did he hide out in the woods? In the sewers? While I prefer Michael himself to be a total blank, I would prefer some exposition as to why these events are unfolding the way they are. Definitely not as on the nose as "he's returned to kill his sister," but I'd prefer at least some vague hypotheses. You can't return to the original series but then retcon almost everything out of existence and expect no one to raise an eyebrow when they pick up 40 years later and pretend like nothing has happened since.

Even if they offer no explanation at all, I would still at the very least like to see Laurie or one of the other characters pondering these questions. That would satisfy my need for them to cover this topic well enough.

BisexualMMA likes this.
  13. AndersonsFoot Brown Belt

AndersonsFoot
    I kind of like the sibling thing, but I'm actually excited that they're going in a different direction. Almost the entire series has some kind of family involved. Like @Adamant said it's a breath of fresh air for the franchise. It sounds like there is some serious potential here and I'm starting to get pretty stoked. I can't wait until we get close enough for the teasers and trailers, I just want to see what this thing is going to feel like.

Explaining how Michael comes across Laurie again after all this time will be interesting. Maybe he returns to Haddonfield and starts killing again, JLC realizes that this could be him, and then seeks him out instead of him finding her.

BisexualMMA likes this.
  14. KnightTemplar Sith Belt

KnightTemplar
    Hold my beer:)

In the novelisation of the first movie, the prologue tells the legend of a Celt who was born in Ireland thousands of years ago. He fell in love with the beautiful princess of his tribe. Unfortuntely, he was ugly and crippled, dispised by everyone in a society where strength and fighting ability were so important. When he told the princess he loved her, she laughed in his face. She was promised to the greatest warrior of their tribe.

Enraged by her rejection, the Celt attacked them both during the Samhain feast - the warrior was drunk and unarmed - and knifed them both to death. The king ordered his daughter's murderer to be tortured to death. But that was only to be the beginning of his punishment: the Druids cursed his soul. He would never know peace. He would reincarnate again and again, murdering innocents and in turn being killed himself.

Present day: Michael has been travelling America for the last forty years. He has killed hundreds in that time, but never in a large enough amount at a single time and location to attract widespread attention. He varies his methods of killing, and often hides the bodies. Many of his victims are blamed on other serial killers. He travels across the Border to Mexico, where he is responsible for the murders of women blamed on the local Cartels. Some investigators suspect a connection, but most people dismiss it as an urban legend: the American Boogyman.

The Celt's present incrnation as Michael has lasted longer than any other. But now, he is finally dying. Although the supernatural nature of his curse enhances his strength and durability, the massive amount of damage he has sustained over the years is taking it's toll. During his murder tour of America and Mexico he has been shot and stabbed, burned and ran over, by his victims or those who tried to stop him. He knows that his present incarnation will soon end. He is compelled to finish his work. Laurie is the only victim who managed to escape him, in all the countless centuries of murder. He wants her to be his final victim before he dies again.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  15. House by the Cemetery Slasher

House by the Cemetery
    <Fedor23><mma4>

KnightTemplar likes this.
  16. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    This is going to be brutal for me because I so desperately want to see trailers and stuff, but at the same time, I know how awful trailers are at keeping secrets. If I watch it, I'll end up watching it 15 times and picking up on every single little detail and inevitably discovering some huge spoilery plot point. But I can't not watch it. I feel like I'm gonna be screwed.

These teasers are utter perfection, especially at not spoiling anything:

ufcfan4 and AndersonsFoot like this.
  17. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    I haven't read the original novel in several years but overall this sounds like a badass idea that I would be very happy with. Perhaps something like this will play a part in the new film because David Gordon Green supposedly talked with Carpenter about his original idea for H4 which was a little more spiritual and cerebral, which would (or could) fall perfectly in line with this.

Something tells me though they're not going to give us something so deep, certainly not with Druids again, especially after H6. And even more unlikely with how much McBride was shooting down the whole supernatural aspect. Not to mention Carpenter's big thing was Michael being "the absence of character" which would sorta be the opposite of what you posted.

But really though, I would be interested in seeing some aspect of this in a future story someday. It would actually make for a perfect sequel story to H6.

KnightTemplar likes this.
  18. AndersonsFoot Brown Belt

AndersonsFoot
    I'm the same way. I want to go into this not knowing a whole lot about it, but there's no way I'll just skip over the trailers once they're released. I just hope they keep things simple and don't show too much. I'm super pumped for this movie.

19. AshiharaFan Purple Belt

AshiharaFan
    I see that a lot of people find RZH and RZH2 abysmal. What I kind of like about RZ's version is how it more resembles the legend and supposed true character that Michael Myers is rumored to be based on. He was a serial killer in 1920s Idaho by the name of Stanley Stiers.

According to legend Stiers, at the age of 11, murdered his adopted family on Halloween day and went trick or treating that night. He also reportedly murdered (again on Halloween day and/or night) kids from his school who would routinely bully him.

It's said that Stiers' adoptive family treated him like shit and never allowed him to go trick-or-treating on Halloween while allowing their birth daughter (Stiers' adopted sister) to do so and also treated her like gold. On Halloween day 1928 little Stanley finally snapped and murdered the whole family, got dressed up and went trick-or-treating.

I've read where some people say that Stanley Stiers is a myth while others say he's not a myth but his murdering exploits are exaggerated. But RZ's take on Michael Myers seems to take more from that legend than the original version by John Carpenter. I just don't know if it's coincidental or if RZ is aware of the Stanley Stiers legend. Anyone interested can google Stanley Stiers to learn more about it and the connection many people make between it and Michael Myers.

20. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    I've never heard that before in my life but it's definitely interesting.

AshiharaFan and KnightTemplar like this.