Halloween (Jamie Lee Curtis Returning; October 19, 2018 Release Date) | Page 26

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Adamant, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Plissken Silver Belt

Plissken
    Halloween: The night He came back.
    or though it will not be even close to the final entry
    Halloween: The night He came home...one last time.

Uses the main title, no sequel or anniversary numbering, has a tagline that pays homage to the original but is distinctly not the same.

2. Plissken Silver Belt

Plissken
    100% agreed with that. I was absolutely pissed at the ending of H:20 in the theater when most of the rest of the theater cheered, made me sick to my stomach as well, felt so anti-Halloween. Didn't like the ending of part II either, but at the very least it was done in a much better way and you could tell Laurie was changed for life after, so some of the mood carried on. I, (III) IV, V, and VI all had dark endings.

I'm not against horror films having an ending with some sort of triumph (just escaping is a triumph a lot of times) over the antagonizing force (though I think most should still feel dark even in triumph), but the original Halloween was flat out about The Shape being an unstoppable force, the boogeyman that cannot be killed, he/it wasn't just some generic killer to be overcome. Throughout the entire last 15 minutes or so there was just an escalation of wounds that he was overcoming (knitting needle to the side of the neck, stabbed in eye with hanger wire then in the gut with a 12-14" chef's knife, then finally shot 6 times at short range and falls off a second story balcony), which culminated with the ending of him disappearing and still being out there (which Loomis expected deep down in his heart; Laurie still in tears) and the montage of the movie locations with his breathing dubbed over it telling the audience he could be anywhere or everywhere. That ending was the very definition of "you can't win" and "evil never dies", without them just killing off Laurie and Loomis; so for H:20 to go the exact opposite route (and even try to make him seem human by reaching out to Laurie) felt completely opposite to the spirit of the original (the spirit which should permeate all sequels).

I think the fact that we saw the fire burning into his skull at the end of Halloween II (after taking a bunch of bullets to vital areas including his brain, and taking a point blank explosion) then him coming back in IV and taking a firing range of rifles and shotguns, then being at the tail end of an explosion (in the flashback in part V); comes back in V, takes more shots to the chest, a bunch of tranqs that surely were meant for bears or moose or something and being beating beaten over the head with a wooden plank with nails still in it, then survives another explosion that warps the bars on his jail cell; comes back in VI, takes a shotgun point blank to the heart, a lot more tranquilizer juice than in part V (like a pint of it), then gets beaten over the head with a metal pipe for an extended period of time, and still comes back; also made the ending of H:20 (despite the decapitation) feel absurd. The fire at the end of Halloween II was worse as by the time the firemen came in the morning he'd have been little more than what we saw Ben Tramer became in the very same movie (just pretend that they first found the charred skeleton sort of remains, but when they did a further sweep of the grounds another fireman found a badly burnt but intact body and then informed the initial fireman who said he only saw corpses, and so leaving his regeneration leading to Halloween IV a mystery and not some Wolverine type stuff).

If they don't end this new Halloween film on a dark note with the Shape still out there I'll be angry. A horror film should usually be, well horrifying, it should stick with you after the film is over so that you occasionally look over your shoulder "just in case", especially a franchise that set such set in stone rules with the initial entry.

3. the muntjac Brown Belt

the muntjac
    Planet Scumdogia. That's way past Uranus, buddy!
    -Halloween (1978) - The best one. A classic.

-Halloween 2 - It's okay at best. Kills are kinda boring. I never liked the brother/sister storyline. They should have stopped with the Michael story here.

-Halloween 3 - I need to rewatch it, but I remember thinking it was dumb.

-Halloween 4 - Sucks. Worst mask in the series. Stupid ending.

-Halloween 5 - Trash. Probably the worst one.

-Halloween 6 - Also trash. The thorn crap was downright ridiculous. This might actually be the worst one.

-Halloween H20 - Improvement over the last four films. On par with the second movie.

-Halloween: Resurrection - Bad, but still better than the trash fire that are the 5th and 6th movies.

-Rob Zombie's Halloween - Pointless. The extra backstory for Michael was lame.

-Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 - Never saw it, and don't really care to.

So yeah, I think the only one truly worth watching is the original. It's a lousy series. Come at me, Halloween bros.

4. AndersonsFoot Brown Belt

AndersonsFoot
    I wouldn't say trash. Certainly not the best franchise ever. But I think it speaks to how good the character Michael Myers is, and how good the original movie was. The first one from 1978 is by far the best, and after all this time people are still interested today.

the muntjac likes this.
  5. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    I've wanted a legit Michael vs Jason film for as long as I can remember. As long as they treated it seriously and with earnestness and not like some stupid self aware spoof horror/comedy, I feel it would be amazing I'd be there Day 1 to see it. Probably 2 or 3 times. Literally, I would throw my money at them for a Michael vs Jason movie. Especially if it's done right (ie the exact opposite of what Freddy vs Jason was)

Now, an overall horror universe (if done as legit horror and not horror/comedy) would be a dream come true. Seeing Michael, Jason, Freddy, Chucky, Pinhead, etc all together in a movie...... I'd love it!

6. TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

TheRuthlessOne
    Halloween 6 is interesting as a motherfucker

7. armbarforhire Brown Belt

armbarforhire
    I liked they added gore, kill count and some T&A, ( ok only T, but some of the best in the genre), hospita setting is creepy, its not a classic film, but probably up there with the best slashers of the 80s.

I dont really care about the rest, never understood the love 4 and 6 get.

the muntjac likes this.
  8. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    Yeah, I agree. And with how badass Michael had become in H4-H6 (people say they turned him into Jason, but that's not true. I mean, he definitely became more of an unstoppable force, it felt like a natural progression, but his "abilities" never really changed from the first film) but H20 was a regression because they watered him down so freaking much that he just seemed like a total pussy by comparison. There's no doubt in my mind that H4-H6 Michael would have royally fucked Laurie up in H20 big time. Hell, even H1 and HII Michael are more badass than H20 Michael.

Just to note, another thing that kills H20 for me (among many other things)..... is it's supposed to be a direct sequel to HII yet they totally forgot to add burn scars to him. Laurie even mentions that she watched him burn, and they forgot the freaking burn scars. SMFH. I hope if this is indeed another direct sequel to HII, any parts of his skin that are clearly visible have scars on them. I felt that the scars we saw in H4-H6 made him even more terrifying and seemingly inhuman.

But yeah, I consider H20 the last good and legitimate Halloween film overall, but I honestly enjoy the previous 6 films vastly better.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  9. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    Last night, God knows why, but just for the fuck of it I decided to watch HR for a few minutes just to check it out again because I haven't seen it in ages, and HOLY FUCK is it bad. Every single thing about it is terrible. It felt like I was watching a Made-for-TV movie you'd see on MTV, with writing so horrible you'd think a freaking 5th grader wrote it. After about 10 minutes I had to turn it off. It was just too terrible.

Then on the flip side I needed to check out a specific scene from H6 just to make sure what I was thinking was correct, and holy hell that film is absolutely FLOODED with atmosphere and suspense. It's beautiful!

If they could make another film with the atmosphere of H6, we'd have a real winner on our hands.

10. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
  11. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    This is pretty cool. The girl in it has a KILLER booty (not a fat, nasty, out of proportion booty, but a legitimately nice booty) Good God!

Ikuza likes this.
  12. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
  13. Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator

Dragonlordxxxxx
    Update: October 2, 2017

Judy Greer to Play Jamie Lee Curtis' Daughter in HALLOWEEN Reboot

[​IMG]

Judy Greer is getting ready for Halloween. The actress is in talks to join Jamie Lee Curtis in the upcoming Halloween reboot, EW has learned. If she joins the cast, she would play Karen Strode, the daughter of Curtis’ character.

Curtis recently announced that she’ll be reprising her role as Laurie Strode, 40 years after starring in John Carpenter’s beloved 1978 original. Comedian Danny McBride and his writing partner David Gordon Green wrote the script for the new Halloween, with Green set to direct. (Carpenter is also on board as an executive producer and creative consultant.)

Green and McBride are keeping exact plot details under wraps, but the new film is said to pick up years after the events of the original 1978 film, as Laurie finds herself once again facing off against the murderous Michael Myers.

The new Halloween will hit theaters Oct. 19, 2018.

Halloween reboot eyes Judy Greer to play Jamie Lee Curtis’ daughter

14. SteveColdStone Green Belt

SteveColdStone
    Used to he obsessed with these movies as kid. Hopefully it isn't wack. I have no idea where they are gping to go with it. The one with Busta Ryhmes was the last of the original series of movies.

15. Grrrr HEY CLIPPY....BE NICE

Grrrr
    Have been obsessed with 70's/80's horror movies since I was a kid.....still am. Will watch the new Halloween.

16. prod2821 Gold Belt

prod2821
    I guess @Anung Un Rama is in now

Anung Un Rama likes this.
  17. EJRMAN513 Black Belt

EJRMAN513
    With Jamie Lee Curtis stating she's doing this as a final send off to the Laurie Strode character then it has and I mean HAS to end with Michael finally killing her and walking off into the sunset...or darkness. I absolutely agree with @Adamant and @Plissken about the ending of H20. The series has always been about Michael having a victim and said victim escaping. Not the victim gaining some type of vengeance toward Michael. Even though Resurrection was overall atrocious and on par with RZH2 as the worst Halloweens in the series, it at least provided some closure with Michael finally achieving basically his life's mission and the movie itself ended with Michael living(Let's just forget about everything that happened before and between those 2 plot points in the movie).

18. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom.

GearSolidMetal
    So, first Terminator, and now Halloween, are saying 'Nevermind about those dozens of shitty sequels, this one is taking place after the last good one.'

19. RTL Inflatable Balloon Belt

RTL
    WTF? How many kids does Strode have? So I guess we're going to retcon both Danielle Harris' and Josh Hartnett's characters now.

This is already a fail. The last thing this movie should be is another "Laurie Strode protects her kid" plot. It looks like they're going to make this a direct sequel to HALLOWEEN 2 1981 by repeating the storyline to HALLOWEEN H20 (which was also a direct sequel to H2).

Lame af.

20. AndersonsFoot Brown Belt

AndersonsFoot