Hallmark Commercial

Most would exclude polygamy. Me personally I have the cut off at cousin marriage. Anything beyond that is too genetically close. I don't really care to justify it beyond just because. Its a universally held taboo so I don't expect much argument on that point.

Yeah, I agree with you, but there'a a reason why we think this way, and it's not arbitrary. Sex with family members is a great way to be a genetic dead-end, not unlike... homosexuality, bestiality, etc.

And don't get me wrong, I don't care if someone likes men or women, I stand by live and let live, but the fact that "we" approve of homosexuality and not other things is purely cultural. Which is why I say the arguments against other things are ad hoc. The truth is that we object to them based on biology.

My guess is polygamy and she males are just around the corner. Pedo shit will probably take a little longer.

In the same way many people support a candidate and disagree with certain views they have. Look at the christian right. They still think homosexuality is a sin and support Trump.

Doesn't that just reinforce the fact that your original post and the justification for it was really dumb?

Yeah, I agree with you, but there'a a reason why we think this way, and it's not arbitrary. Sex with family members is a great way to be a genetic dead-end, not unlike... homosexuality, bestiality, etc.

And don't get me wrong, I don't care if someone likes men or women, I stand by live and let live, but the fact that "we" approve of homosexuality and not other things is purely cultural. Which is why I say the arguments against other things are ad hoc. The truth is that we object to them based on biology.
But is it wrong that its culturally determined? Plenty of things are culturally determined and we're okay with them. Aren't so many posters here always defending Western culture? Well, its ability to evolve has been one of its hallmarks *wink wink*

Doesn't that just reinforce the fact that your original post and the justification for it was really dumb?
Yes. Of course it was dumb and came from a place of emotion. Most of what I say is like that. Doesn't mean I am totally uninformed on politics. I mean maybe I am really but I at least know what I believe in and do my best to pay attention! I make a lot of posts that I afterwords think 'that was dumb'.

sexywomenkiss.jpg

Yes. Of course it was dumb and came from a place of emotion. Most of what I say is like that. Doesn't mean I am totally uninformed on politics. I mean maybe I am really but I at least know what I believe in and do my best to pay attention! I make a lot of posts that I afterwords think 'that was dumb'.

You should try to say things from a place of factual evidence instead of a place of emotion in the future imo

You should try to say things from a place of factual evidence instead of a place of emotion in the future imo
Well it's a balancing act. I am very emotional and sensitive person so that often drives what I say or how I react. Sometimes I think emotion can be good for things like empathy and understanding. But it's bad for having debates or communicating. i can understand that. I do my best to balance it out but I know it's not so good always.

But is it wrong that its culturally determined? Plenty of things are culturally determined and we're okay with them. Aren't so many posters here always defending Western culture? Well, its ability to evolve has been one of its hallmarks *wink wink*

Again, this begs the question- is there an objective truth, or isn't there? In the West, we had agreed upon certain axioms that were concrete, namely, let consenting adults do what they want. We either accept this, or we don't.

I accept this legally, but I reject it morally. I think if someone wants to be in an incestuous relationship, they should be legally allowed, but I consider it wildly immoral.

Again, this begs the question- is there an objective truth, or isn't there? In the West, we had agreed upon certain axioms that were concrete, namely, let consenting adults do what they want. We either accept this, or we don't.

I accept this legally, but I reject it morally. I think if someone wants to be in an incestuous relationship, they should be legally allowed, but I consider it wildly immoral.
Sure that's fair. Personally I think anything between first order relatives(siblings, parent/child) is crossing a line and wildly disgusting and immoral. Cousin marriages are...iffy but acceptable IMO. If it was good enough for Darwin I can accept it.

Sure that's fair. Personally I think anything between first order relatives(siblings, parent/child) is crossing a line and wildly disgusting and immoral. Cousin marriages are...iffy but acceptable IMO. If it was good enough for Darwin I can accept it.

Wouldn't you agree that your view of morality is biological in a sense? And if so, doesn't that present a problem for other evolutionary disadvantageous behaviors?

Wouldn't you agree that your view of morality is biological in a sense? And if so, doesn't that present a problem for other evolutionary disadvantageous behaviors?
Biological how? As in, being based rationally in biology or originating in biology as a moral compass shaped by natural selection?

Biological how? As in, being based rationally in biology or originating in biology as a moral compass shaped by natural selection?

The reason we reject incestuous relationships is because they're genetically harmful. It's not a coincidence we find them detestable. It's biological. We are programmed to not find family member sexually attractive, so an aberration is just that. This is the exact same reason we object to homosexuality.

The reason we reject incestuous relationships is because they're genetically harmful. It's not a coincidence we find them detestable. It's biological. We are programmed to not find family member sexually attractive, so an aberration is just that. This is the exact same reason we object to homosexuality.
I don't think you can say its the exact same reason. Even if this parallel of yours has merit there are doing to be particular mechanisms at play in each case. And I would also say that even if its ingrained from evolution, understand that we mostly evolved in the context of hunter gatherer societies. Those dynamics might not be relevant in the developed urban West while the issues with incest still are.

I don't think you can say its the exact same reason. Even if this parallel of yours has merit there are doing to be particular mechanisms at play in each case. And I would also say that even if its ingrained from evolution, understand that we mostly evolved in the context of hunter gatherer societies. Those dynamics might not be relevant in the developed urban West while the issues with incest still are.

We've reached an impasse. I believe that the urge to resist homosexuality is based on the same principle that the urge to resist incest is based on- evolutionary biology.

Note that this doesn't imply a moral connotation, simply a biological one.

Insults without addressing the points brought up = confirmation that you know you're wrong. Thanks for making it obvious.
You're saying Hallmark is responding to the market...are you implying the other members of the LGBT community don't purchase greeting cards!? You don't think a man in a relationship with a shemale has ever bought his shemale a greeting card!?

You don't think that 17 y/o has ever been in the market for a nice greeting card for his 20-something y/o teacher!?

You sound extremely narrow-minded, pal.

You're saying Hallmark is responding to the market...are you implying the other members of the LGBT community don't purchase greeting cards!? You don't think a man in a relationship with a shemale has ever bought his shemale a greeting card!?

You don't think that 17 y/o has ever been in the market for a nice greeting card for his 20-something y/o teacher!?

You sound extremely narrow-minded, pal.
I'm implying that Hallmark is a business trying to make money, and you're a moron that makes stupid threads.

Any other questions?

Back