Hall vs Penn

Crappy point fighting slaps for 3 rounds, coming up.

Hopefully bj's ego will give us a nice ground battle for once. He probably knows he can keep it standing all night and box the shit out of Ryan.
But bj being a warrior will most likely make him take Hall down and try to prove his jiu jitsu is still strong enough to hang.

i hate this matchup. i want to see Hall run a jits clinic on some meathead striker, not BJ Penn.

Hopefully bj's ego will give us a nice ground battle for once. He probably knows he can keep it standing all night and box the shit out of Ryan.
But bj being a warrior will most likely make him take Hall down and try to prove his jiu jitsu is still strong enough to hang.
BJ is my favorite fighter of all time so I'm sad to see this fight go down. I think this will be BJ's first submission loss.

I think BJ is at a big disadvantage in all areas. On the feet I think Hall's striking is good at maintaining distance and if BJ is able to get in the pocket and force Hall to trade then I think Hall will use a leg entanglements to take it to the floor and finish with either a rear naked or brabo strangle.

This could be a fun fight if it hits the floor. But BJ's best grappling game is his dope mount to mount to back to rear naked series and the dope mount is risky these days for good leg lockers to take the 4-11 and Hall is great at that.

BJ's best chance for victory I think would be to force Hall to stay in the pocket and trade with him and I don't see Hall doing that.

Last edited:
I'm pulling for penn with the KO/TKO maybe even a submission set up with some brutal gnp. Even if his bjj isn't as good as halls, Penn will believe it is which will allow him to box Halls ears off with zero hesitation like in Hall vs everyone he's ever faced.

Even if if hall goes for a sushi roll entry to some leg locks Penn is game enough to survive and employ some serious Gnp.

Penn is a true mixed martial artist. Hall is just really good at bjj and just tries to survive the other aspects of MMA, including wrestling, which is strange. I honestly think Hall should have been finished already. It's just his Jiu-Jitsu pedigree gets into people's heads and they think they'll immediately get subbed if they get anywhere near the ground. I actually believe the level of bjj in MMA to very high and believe most top MMA fighters bjj skills to be comparable to halls.

I actually believe the level of bjj in MMA to very high and believe most top MMA fighters bjj skills to be comparable to halls.

Can you clarify this?

The Penn who was wrecking at 155 (Sherk, Stevenson, Florian, Sanchez ) would absolutely run through ryan

this penn - the guy dropped siver and then got put in half guard and just lay there because was tired or something.

Maybe Bj catches Ryan coming in. But i suspect a drawn out 3rd decision with not clear winnner.

I actually believe the level of bjj in MMA to very high and believe most top MMA fighters bjj skills to be comparable to halls.

You're high.

I believe BJ is a more well rounded MMA fighter.

Hall might karate distance him all day too...

That's my prediction. BJ has never dealt with kicks well, and that's most of Ryan's offense. I imagine it'll be a terrible fight with Ryan kicking BJ every time he gets close for a boring UD.

Isn't it likely that Ryan Hall realises he doesn't need to win but must also *entertain* this time if he wants his career to move anywhere?
If he goes for a yet another boring UD the UFC will just shelve him forever.

Isn't it likely that Ryan Hall realises he doesn't need to win but must also *entertain* this time if he wants his career to move anywhere?
I think the hope is that BJ engages him. In most of Hall’s matches it seems that his opponents try and stall on the ground, fearful of moving and making a mistake. The hope is We get a motivated BJ Penn where he will keep up with Hall cardio wise and we have an interesting match up.

He’s been given a huge gift here, against a big name who is a dismal shell of his former self. If he manages to screw it up, he won’t get a second chance.

I think the hope is that BJ engages him. In most of Hall’s matches it seems that his opponents try and stall on the ground, fearful of moving and making a mistake. The hope is We get a motivated BJ Penn where he will keep up with Hall cardio wise and we have an interesting match up.

"motivated BJ..."

thanks for the laugh! haven't heard that phrase in a while. It's like "Batman with prep time" for MMA.

"motivated BJ..."

thanks for the laugh! haven't heard that phrase in a while. It's like "Batman with prep time" for MMA.
agreed. Bj is done and he was the only guy willing to fight hall. he will do better than most imo but he will get tapped to if he goes to the ground for too long.

Some of you guys live in a bizarro world, where the bugs bunny version of BJ Penn that last fought never existed.

Bj is oldschool, he doesnt play that footsie shit.

He might not have a choice. He’s old man. I love the prodigy but my heart has been broken too many times watching him get hurt and lose.

Last edited:
That's my prediction. BJ has never dealt with kicks well, and that's most of Ryan's offense. I imagine it'll be a terrible fight with Ryan kicking BJ every time he gets close for a boring UD.

I have never in my life understood why guys like BJ and the Diaz brothers etc refuse to check leg kicks more regularly and utilize less risky kicks for distance management, much like a jab. It’s not like the rubber guard where you have to have way above average flexibility to pull it off.

Prime Penn would have crushed Ryan Hall. On the ground and ofcourse standing. What proof do we have that Hall is better on the ground than BJ? BJ is a shell of his former self. It's not even close, so he will probably lose this fight. But Prime Penn? Better everywhere.

Back