Halfguard: escaping the crossface?

pa33

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi, first I want to say thanks to whoever posted that video a while ago on halfguard techniques...it really has helped me in my last few rolling sessions since now I actually know something to do when in halfguard.

My question now is: suppose you're on the bottom and the top guy has gotten the crossface and has flattened you out. What do you do at that point? Anyone know of a vid/tut on getting from this postion back to your side with the underhook?

There is actually a really nice sweep from this position if you still have your underhook established. But YOU NEVER want to be flattened out. It sucks so bad when you are.

You can do a lot of things. If you still have the underhook, look *away* from the cross facing arm and push your opponent up and over you.

If you don't have the underhook, you either have to make space by pressing your elbow against his throat, or play half butterfly. Usually I do the latter.

^^
This sweep is good, but the top guy isn't sitting on his cheek on the cross-faced side, which would hide the knee and the leg. Maybe it's because it is no gi, I don't know, but it seems pretty situational to me.

So I was in class tonight and found myself in this position and went for that sweep and it worked! :icon_chee Thanks Frodo.

If I do managed to get cross faced and flatten out I usually just go into a half butterfly guard, say if they guy is on my right side and is cross facing me with his left arm, obviously my left leg is free. I just hook it inside his thigh and work various elevator sweeps/de la riva/leglocks/or I just elevate him enough to pop out my leg and put him back into a closed guard. A lot of the space/lift I get comes from the foot hooking plus I put my hands on his hips to help create space.

I do the opposite of the video. I go WITH the crossface with one arm under the legs into sort of a high crotch type sweep. once get underneath the leg I grab the lapel so that they cannot take my back and it also helps with leverage. also watch for the triangle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back