Half guard - Faria, Leite etc

Leite's half is more broadly applicable (Faria doesn't work so well without the gi), but I think Faria's is safer because you are using the knee shield. The big thing with Faria's guard in general is that you have to be willing to suffer. He spends a lot of time getting crushed hanging on to that lapel feed for dear life, and since he can do so he usually gets the sweep eventually but there's a lot of getting cross faced hard while clinging to that lapel and trying to force your way to your knees.

I was under the impression Leite uses the knee shield at distance until he's able to punch for the underhook.

The one problem with that is that someone like me would rather you be in on a single driving up than playing guard, not saying it can't work, just that it puts some people in their wheelhouse

True, although usually opening up that space will allow you to at least bail to DHG, where my chances of getting on top go from "no chance in hell" to "this is going to suck"

I was under the impression Leite uses the knee shield at distance until he's able to punch for the underhook.

Generally yes. But Faria pretty much goes from the knee shield to the single leg, whereas Leite has a few more steps between the entry and the sweep and personally I've found the danger of getting choked much higher with the Leite version because you really have to get your head in there to start attacking whereas with the Faria version you just have to get to your knees.

True, although usually opening up that space will allow you to at least bail to DHG, where my chances of getting on top go from "no chance in hell" to "this is going to suck"
Oh for sure not arguing that, and I don't always stop the sweep but it's something to consider. Though I will say that when people bail on a single to deep half I usually feel fine because I have the initiative and they're going to deep half basically because I made them.

What would the good wrestling moves from the opponent standing from the Lucas Leite half be:

Example of a Miyao standing up from the dogfight and wrestling his way out.

Getting the underhook and up to the dogfight position isn't easy against people who know what you're aiming for but once I do, it's going well.

you can always use the lockdown to whip up and get an underhook

For what it's worth. I'm on the older side, and I base almost all of my game on Bernardo's. I use almost everything except his positions where he likes to wrestle for singles and doubles from the knees. That puts too much pressure on my lower back. However, I do think his deep half and z-guard games are great for older grapplers. The positions do not put much pressure on your joints, the pump-handle gi grips he uses are relatively easy on the hands, and the sweeps don't require a ton of energy. I also like his over-under passing game. His passes based on pressure and technique, not speed and agility.

Hey guys I was on Lucas Leites instagram and it seems he's currently filming his instructional :D

awesome

Back