Hahaha, this has to be a joke, right? ESPN pulls Asian Robert Lee due to name

Do you agree ESPN should've pulled Lee?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You ever watch Undisputed on FS1? Shannon Sharpe acts like a lowbrow Malcolm X and the term "cuck" was invented for guys like Skip Bayless.

Nope never watched it, can't stand Skip Bayless to begin with and your description of him is dead on. I avoid any of the shows that try to discuss sports as it relates to pop culture.

Still, all of that is predicated on the law. The law forbids certain things, and if a group continues to violate the law and partake of those forbidden things then they will continue to see high incarceration rates.

I don't see it as over policing. The police go where the crime is.

The law, including enforcement and sentencing, has had and continues to have racial bias.

The idea that it's neutral and colour blind is wrong.

Do you not find this odd for the land of the free?

images

They are probably still sensitive about race issues ever since this article.
17e78w4n9qyjwjpg.jpg

The law, including enforcement and sentencing, has had and continues to have racial bias.

The idea that it's neutral and colour blind is wrong.

Do you not find this odd for the land of the free?

images
I don't see it as bias. Look man it really is simple. We have laws, and they are being broken. The police go after those breaking the law. Period. The stats fall where they may. If certain groups want their incarceration stats reduced then that group should take steps to stop breaking the laws that are leading to their arrests. I don't care what group it is, if you do X and X is illegal by law, then you should go to jail and the police should vigorously investigate.

It really is that simple. Don't want to go to jail, stop breaking the law. Now, if this discussion is about the laws themselves being too much, then that is a different discussion. In that regard both sides of the political coin have failed to address that issue.

I don't see it as bias. Look man it really is simple. We have laws, and they are being broken. The police go after those breaking the law. Period. The stats fall where they may. If certain groups want their incarceration stats reduced then that group should take steps to stop breaking the laws that are leading to their arrests. I don't care what group it is, if you do X and X is illegal by law, then you should go to jail and the police should vigorously investigate.

It really is that simple. Don't want to go to jail, stop breaking the law. Now, if this discussion is about the laws themselves being too much, then that is a different discussion. In that regard both sides of the political coin have failed to address that issue.

America imprisons more people than South Africa, Iran or Zimbabwe. World leading in incarceration. With a heavy focus on minorities.

You can pretend it's normal and regular. But it isn't.

Mass incarceration is rightly seen as one of the moral evils of western society.

Blacks and whites do drugs at the exact same rates, yet blacks are far more likely to be arrested, charged, convicted and given harsh sentences for the same crime. They're subject to stop and search at much higher rates. There are undercover tapes from the NYPD where a cop who was stopping people based on behavior rather than race was told to harass blacks more instead. There's a case where a black guy was harassed by police hundreds of times and arrested 56 times at his job for trespassing, even though it was where he worked and it obviously wasn't trespassing. If you think the cops call it down the middle all the time you're deluding yourself.

30_war_on_drugs_fig.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...eople-are-more-likely-to-get-arrested-for-it/

America imprisons more people than South Africa, Iran or Zimbabwe. World leading in incarceration. With a heavy focus on minorities.

You can pretend it's normal and regular. But it isn't.

Mass incarceration is rightly seen as one of the moral evils of western society.
It is not the fault of the cops then. It is the fault of the people who made the laws. Which is a different discussion, one you seem to be uninterested in.

Blacks and whites do drugs at the exact same rates, yet blacks are far more likely to be arrested, charged, convicted and given harsh sentences for the same crime. They're subject to stop and search at much higher rates. There are undercover tapes from the NYPD where a cop who was stopping people based on behavior rather than race was told to harass blacks more instead. There's a case where a black guy was harassed by police hundreds of times and arrested 56 times at his job for trespassing, even though it was where he worked and it obviously wasn't trespassing. If you think the cops call it down the middle all the time you're deluding yourself.

30_war_on_drugs_fig.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...eople-are-more-likely-to-get-arrested-for-it/

Does not change the fact that they had the drugs on them. Why should I care if they are being stopped and frisked more if the cops indeed find the illegal substance on them? No doubt their is some measure of racism involved in the stats but I doubt they are significant. Maybe blacks are just worse at concealing/hiding their drugs?

30_war_on_drugs_fig.png

The Washington Post loves those fuzzy numbers.

These statistics are often skewed because they don't tell you what percentage of those arrested were repeat offenders. Of course you will receive a much harsher sentence for the same exact crime if it's your tenth time being charged as opposed to your first. Black offenders tend to have the highest recidivism rates.

Also, being arrested with an ounce of pot is not exactly the same as possessing 90 pounds of heroin to use an exaggerated example. There are many reasons for differences in sentencing and they don't have to have anything to do with race. But these biased numbers crunchers don't take such variables in to account.

Yes, there is a much heavier police presence in urban neighborhoods which disproportionately affects minorities but that is not by accident. African-Americans commit homicide at a rate nearly 8 times greater than whites. If you remove Hispanics from the white category than it jumps to 11 or 12 times greater. This is a very large statistical over-representation when compared to population size. The police are very well aware of these risks. Sometimes in urban America your reputation precedes you.

The number one cause of death for young black males (ages 15 - 34) is homicide. For all other races it's accidental causes.

Are all police decent (name one profession where everyone is)? No. But African-Americans have more violent encounters with the place for statistical reasons as well.

http://www.poynter.org/2014/fact-checking-claims-about-race-after-ferguson-shooting/266133/

Fact-checking claims about race after Ferguson shooting

"...According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, homicide was indeed the No. 1 killer of black men between the ages of 15 and 34 in 2011, the most recent year with statistics available. Accidents were the second leading cause of death.

Compared to other ethnicities, the numbers really stand out. Forty percent of African-American males 15-34 who died were murdered, according to the CDC, compared to just 3.8 percent of white males who died.
..."

Does not change the fact that they had the drugs on them. Why should I care if they are being stopped and frisked more if the cops indeed find the illegal substance on them? No doubt their is some measure of racism involved in the stats but I doubt they are significant. Maybe blacks are just worse at concealing/hiding their drugs?
I already explained the discrepancy with legit sources. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but it is willful ignorance at this point.

I already explained the discrepancy with legit sources. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but it is willful ignorance at this point.
So you are saying that Cops should ignore people that may have drugs? You are pointing out the discrepancy with the stop and frisk rates, but what about the fact they keep finding drugs? Why is all the blame on the cops and not on the people carrying the drugs in the first place?

Edit to add. As I said, their may be an element of racism, but that does not absolve the person from his crime of having the drugs in the first place.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/awkward-pelosis-father-once-dedicated-statue-robert-e-lee
Awkward: Pelosi's Father Once Dedicated Statue to Robert E. Lee

"We can look for inspiration to the lives of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson."

It's no coincidence. A very large number of these statues were put up by Democrats a generation ago. It's not just an American rejection of their divided past. It's a left wing rejection of their Democrat heritage. Maybe in that sense it is healthy?

They should get on renaming the 50+ building s and roads named after Robert Byrd.

So you are saying that Cops should ignore people that may have drugs? You are pointing out the discrepancy with the stop and frisk rates, but what about the fact they keep finding drugs? Why is all the blame on the cops and not on the people carrying the drugs in the first place?

Edit to add. As I said, their may be an element of racism, but that does not absolve the person from his crime of having the drugs in the first place.
It's very simple. If white people were stopped and frisked at the same rate as blacks, if they were treated the same in the court system, then drug arrests and convictions and sentences would be the same. Blacks are the victims of disproportionate arrests and convictions relative to the actual level of the crime being committed across the board by both races. In terms of policy, I favor so-called soft drugs like marijuana being legalized and so-called hard drugs being treated as a medical matter rather than criminal when it comes to amounts intended for personal consumption as opposed to distribution. I also believe stop and search without probable cause should be disbanded. Our criminal justice system is overloaded with nonviolent crime and victim-less crimes when we should be focusing on violent crime. I also believe that the War on Drugs if anything has caused violent crime because it brought in the criminal element to the drug trade, just like prohibition did with alcohol. We learned our lesson with alcohol prohibition and hopefully we are learning the same lesson with regards to other types of drugs, some of which are actually less dangerous than alcohol.

I also believe stop and search without probable cause should be disbanded. Our criminal justice system is overloaded with nonviolent crime and victim-less crimes when we should be focusing on violent crime. I also believe that the War on Drugs if anything has caused violent crime because it brought in the criminal element to the drug trade, just like prohibition did with alcohol. We learned our lesson with alcohol prohibition and hopefully we are learning the same lesson with regards to other types of drugs, some of which are actually less dangerous than alcohol.
iu

Back