Gyms in Bangkok

Right now I highly recommend FA Group. Why? because they have their stable of Thai fighters but are very open to training foreigners. The gym is friendly, reasonably priced, in a good area of Bangkok and they don't look at your like a walking ATM. For example I paid for a months training just before Christmas last year and due to work and family I couldn't make it. When I went back a month later to train and went to pay again they told me not to worry, train for another month before I have to pay again. That's the sort of people that are difficult to come by in gyms in Thailand.

HERE'S A GOOD POINT. Good fighters don't always make good trainers. You know Petchboonchoo? The most decorated Muay Thai fighter ever? You get to train with Petboonchoo's trainer who received the trainer of the year a year or two ago.

The ratio of Thai's to foreigners is good. You will clinch with some of the best clinchers in Thailand everyday and they always try to pair up foreigners with Thai's.

I've been to a lot of gyms in Bangkok but still train at FA (when I'm fit enough).

Even the boys from Teded 99 come and clinch some days which is another gym I've trained at but they train one a day and run 10km before their once a day afternoon session. Nice people probably not what your looking for.

Other gyms Meenayothin was great a few years ago when I went. I don't know what it's like now. They have an olympic boxing coach as they have a WBC boxing world champ.

Around FA accomodation is cheap, food is cheap. Don't get sucked into an all inclusive package.

If you want the best private Muay Thai lessons in Bangkok I know of pm me, price used to be 500THB but maybe now 750THB per 1 hour or 1 1/2 hours but not sure if it's still that price. If it's just normal training at a gym FA all the way.

By the way, most privates (not all) are bullshit in my opinion. Why the hell do you have to pay extra to have a trainer train you. That's some Phuket business tourist trap bs.

Right now I highly recommend FA Group. Why? because they have their stable of Thai fighters but are very open to training foreigners. The gym is friendly, reasonably priced, in a good area of Bangkok and they don't look at your like a walking ATM. For example I paid for a months training just before Christmas last year and due to work and family I couldn't make it. When I went back a month later to train and went to pay again they told me not to worry, train for another month before I have to pay again. That's the sort of people that are difficult to come by in gyms in Thailand.

HERE'S A GOOD POINT. Good fighters don't always make good trainers. You know Petchboonchoo? The most decorated Muay Thai fighter ever? You get to train with Petboonchoo's trainer who received the trainer of the year a year or two ago.

The ratio of Thai's to foreigners is good. You will clinch with some of the best clinchers in Thailand everyday and they always try to pair up foreigners with Thai's.

I've been to a lot of gyms in Bangkok but still train at FA (when I'm fit enough).

Even the boys from Teded 99 come and clinch some days which is another gym I've trained at but they train one a day and run 10km before their once a day afternoon session. Nice people probably not what your looking for.

Other gyms Meenayothin was great a few years ago when I went. I don't know what it's like now. They have an olympic boxing coach as they have a WBC boxing world champ.

Around FA accomodation is cheap, food is cheap. Don't get sucked into an all inclusive package.

If you want the best private Muay Thai lessons in Bangkok I know of pm me, price used to be 500THB but maybe now 750THB per 1 hour or 1 1/2 hours but not sure if it's still that price. If it's just normal training at a gym FA all the way.

By the way, most privates (not all) are bullshit in my opinion. Why the hell do you have to pay extra to have a trainer train you. That's some Phuket business tourist trap bs.
Sounds good, but I want to leave that type of gym for later on. From what I've heard, communication can be a problem. My Thai is non-existent, and their English is probably not great. Also, its location and fact that only small fighters train there (60-65 kg) lets it down a bit. I'll definitely consider it for my next trip.
However, since it's my first time, I want a gym that is more popular among foreigners. I'd started out considering Sitsongpeenong, but feel that it is a little TOO touristy, what with Sittichai's successes (every farang within 100 miles will drag themselves there most like). With this in mind, I probably won't go for Sitsongpeenong.

On the other hand, Sitmonchai is in a great location, is farang-friendly and maintains a great ratio of Thai:Farang. English-speaking management is also a huge plus.
The other gym I'm considering is Banchamek Gym. Really like the focus on boxing and they have great fighters. Just can't find enough info on it so I'm kind of unsure. Seems to attract quite a few foreigners, tho...
I've narrowed it down to these two gyms. I'll look into gyms like Kiatphontip, FA Group and Meenayothin for next year.
Do you have any experience/recommendations for Sitmonchai or Banchamek gym?

Sounds good, but I want to leave that type of gym for later on. From what I've heard, communication can be a problem. My Thai is non-existent, and their English is probably not great. Also, its location and fact that only small fighters train there (60-65 kg) lets it down a bit. I'll definitely consider it for my next trip.
However, since it's my first time, I want a gym that is more popular among foreigners. I'd started out considering Sitsongpeenong, but feel that it is a little TOO touristy, what with Sittichai's successes (every farang within 100 miles will drag themselves there most like). With this in mind, I probably won't go for Sitsongpeenong.

On the other hand, Sitmonchai is in a great location, is farang-friendly and maintains a great ratio of Thai:Farang. English-speaking management is also a huge plus.
The other gym I'm considering is Banchamek Gym. Really like the focus on boxing and they have great fighters. Just can't find enough info on it so I'm kind of unsure. Seems to attract quite a few foreigners, tho...
I've narrowed it down to these two gyms. I'll look into gyms like Kiatphontip, FA Group and Meenayothin for next year.
Do you have any experience/recommendations for Sitmonchai or Banchamek gym?

I was at sitmonchai for a few months and I gotta say I loved it. At the time I was mostly fighting K1 & glory rules shows so the style suited me at the time.

I've been to a lot of gyms n I've gotta say they by far treated me the best from top to bottom for example I arrived at 4am the day New Year's Eve morning and didn't have any Thai money, Pee-A (the owner) gave me quite a bit of money to tide me over Until the banks opened again after the holiday period (a week and a bit) and when they did open he drove me to 4 different banks to make sure I got the best exchange rate. Anything u need they will get it for u even replacing my mattress as my pad holder thought I wasn't sleeping enough n it was affecting my power lol. That being said their is pad holders in particular at sitmonchai that don't train you in their style... for example punch low kick , and they will be very technical. I worked mostly with San who is huge for a Thai and very traditional style with strong knees and kicks and most days their was clinching but it wasn't enforced like at other gyms so most of the thais clinched among themselves.

The location also is great if u like the smaller town feel, theirs not a whole lot to do so most of the time u will either sleep or go to tescos and they have a night market twice a week so theirs no distractions. Also Abigail is great to deal with and will help u with whatever questions u may need.

The style their is no longer suitable for me but If it suits your training style then go ahead u will love it and if u train hard they will look after u.

Did you get to spar and clinch alot with the thais?

Lucky, I was planning to go this July but some unexpected money issues arose. Looking to next summer.

You should update this thread while you're down there.

Back