Gym idiots

Right, because all I like to do at the gym is to talk about the party I was at the other night, droning on and on about the insane amount of liquor I imbibed, along with other stupidass shenanigans.

And I like to waste people's time doing some bullshit workout at the squat rack e.g. curls, kipping pullups, and some quarter squats with weights I have no fucking business handling in the first place.

Great fucking job, Cratos. You've figured me out. Here's a chocolate mint cookie for your efforts.

Went over your head, eh?

The gym I used to go to in Chiang Mai was like that, but I didn't mind. The main clientelle were retired expats, in their 60s and 70s. All but one of them would not do too much- walk on the treadmill, some bicep curls, but be there for two hours mostly just gossping (the other was a former college track star and track coach, who was still in amazing shape in his 60s). I didn't mind, they were all nice guys, intelligent, and well-informed because they didn't have much to do except read and watch the news. But it was a big gym, and they rarely went near the power rack. In that respect, it was the best gym I've been to- the one where I was most likely to be able to walk right up to it.

The gym I go to at the moment in Jordan is kind of the opposite. It doesn't have strength athletes, although there are a lot of really jakt guys. But everyone there tries really hard. Even the weakest guys or the ones who are doing goofy exercises are busting their ass, which I quite like. I rarely have anyone doing anything really inconsiderate- once some guy jumped in and started doing boydweight dips on the safeties while I was standing in front of it and obviously in the middle of squats, but that has generally been extremely rare. The downside... they are often doing their goofy exercises in the squat rack.

I was in chiang Mai a few months ago. Pretty much everybody at the gym was old expats sitting around talking to each other. Seemed like a chilled out environment but pretty much nobody was lifting.

I was in chiang Mai a few months ago. Pretty much everybody at the gym was old expats sitting around talking to each other. Seemed like a chilled out environment but pretty much nobody was lifting.

There are a few places where people go a bit harder. There's a place called Fitness Thailand, which is on top of one of the computer centres at the North-West corner of the moat, there are some big, hard-working guys there. In my last few years there I used to go to PowerHouse, where people worked a bit harder. There's the CrossFit gym there too. The owner is a nice guy and is interested in all strength sports, and lets people use the facilities out of class if he thinks they know what they are doing. The gym that was and is really like that, though, is the one in the Chiang Mai Orchid hotel. But I still have a big soft spot for that place.

There are a few places where people go a bit harder. There's a place called Fitness Thailand, which is on top of one of the computer centres at the North-West corner of the moat, there are some big, hard-working guys there. In my last few years there I used to go to PowerHouse, where people worked a bit harder. There's the CrossFit gym there too. The owner is a nice guy and is interested in all strength sports, and lets people use the facilities out of class if he thinks they know what they are doing. The gym that was and is really like that, though, is the one in the Chiang Mai Orchid hotel. But I still have a big soft spot for that place.

The gym I was at was in a hotel but they sold memberships to the fitness center or whatever you want to call it. It was on the 8th floor of the hotel.

I forget the name of the hotel but it was a big white building like 5 minute walk from that night bazaar place....gym didn't have a rack, just a smith machine but I was staying in the hotel so I got to go for free.

There was a pretty good Indian restaraunt across the street from the hotel too. In the other direction from the bazaar was the Muay Thai "stadium"....just bars with TONS of hookers and a ring in the middle. Saw some good fights there.

The gym I was at was in a hotel but they sold memberships to the fitness center or whatever you want to call it. It was on the 8th floor of the hotel.

I forget the name of the hotel but it was a big white building like 5 minute walk from that night bazaar place....gym didn't have a rack, just a smith machine but I was staying in the hotel so I got to go for free.

There was a pretty good Indian restaraunt across the street from the hotel too. In the other direction from the bazaar was the Muay Thai "stadium"....just bars with TONS of hookers and a ring in the middle. Saw some good fights there.

I know the exact spot.

I actually don't mind the Muay Thai stadium area at all. Even though it's all bar girls, it's pretty relaxed. The girls aren't aggressive at all, they can tell if you are a punter and if you're not they don't bother you. They'll talk to you, play pool or some board game if you want, the only thing is if they see a potential "paying customer" they tend to take off. There are regular tourists, families and so on around there. Not as aggressive as Bangkok and way, way less than Pattaya.

Now we're talking about whores and Muay Thai fights.

I like where this thread is going. Let's keep it going, boys.

I know the exact spot.

I actually don't mind the Muay Thai stadium area at all. Even though it's all bar girls, it's pretty relaxed. The girls aren't aggressive at all, they can tell if you are a punter and if you're not they don't bother you. They'll talk to you, play pool or some board game if you want, the only thing is if they see a potential "paying customer" they tend to take off. There are regular tourists, families and so on around there. Not as aggressive as Bangkok and way, way less than Pattaya.

Yeah I wasn't complaining, I think that Muay Thai bar place is awesome. The tickets were cheap, even for "vip" seats and they will deliver those large size singhas and changs to you for relatively cheap.

I liked it better than Bangla stadium, maybe the talent is a bit better at Bangla but it's not nearly as laid back.

Yeah I wasn't complaining, I think that Muay Thai bar place is awesome. The tickets were cheap, even for "vip" seats and they will deliver those large size singhas and changs to you for relatively cheap.

I liked it better than Bangla stadium, maybe the talent is a bit better at Bangla but it's not nearly as laid back.

Yeah, it's actually a really nice environment. The bars are all light and fun. It's very casual, and the beers are pretty cheap.

When I moved to CM me and my buddies would drink there regularly. Never went for the girls, we just liked the environment. Much more than the backpacker places, which always had a sort of stoner vibe. Back then there weren't so many upscale places though. Nowadays I prefer to go to more upscale bars, wine bars, places like that. In CM they are mostly over on the other side of town, around the Nimmanhemen Road area. Better drinks, and you can see the Thai Beautiful People- students, young professionals, the odd model and TV star. Makes your eyes stand out on stalks.

Yeah, it's actually a really nice environment. The bars are all light and fun. It's very casual, and the beers are pretty cheap.

When I moved to CM me and my buddies would drink there regularly. Never went for the girls, we just liked the environment. Much more than the backpacker places, which always had a sort of stoner vibe. Back then there weren't so many upscale places though. Nowadays I prefer to go to more upscale bars, wine bars, places like that. In CM they are mostly over on the other side of town, around the Nimmanhemen Road area. Better drinks, and you can see the Thai Beautiful People- students, young professionals, the odd model and TV star. Makes your eyes stand out on stalks.

Yeah that nimmanhanmen road area is great too. I could handle living in chiang Mai, no problem.

There is definetly a disproportionate amount of creepy old sexpats there even compared pretty much everywhere I've ever been in asia.

Too many Chinese there too. You forget how wretched they can be when you're living in China, then you go somewhere like Thailand and you can spot them from a mile away spitting, shouting, vomiting and letting their shitty little kids run around like they are gods gift to the earth.

Last edited:
Yeah that nimmanhanmen road area is great too. I could handle living in chiang Mai, no problem.

There is definetly a disproportionate amount of creepy old sexpats there even compared pretty much everywhere I've ever been in asia.

Never been to Pattaya? That place is 10x what Chiang Mai is. 100x maybe. In one soi off the beach road they probably have as many bars and girls working as they have along the whole of Loi Kroh Road and the MT stadium area in Chiang Mai, which is pretty much its whole red light district. Not that i would recommend it- it's highly unpleasant.

But yeah, it's an awesome city. Pretty much my favourite place in the world. I miss it, but I guess I won't be moving back there for quite some time.

Never been to Pattaya? That place is 10x what Chiang Mai is. 100x maybe. In one soi off the beach road they probably have as many bars and girls working as they have along the whole of Loi Kroh Road and the MT stadium area in Chiang Mai, which is pretty much its whole red light district. Not that i would recommend it- it's highly unpleasant.

But yeah, it's an awesome city. Pretty much my favourite place in the world. I miss it, but I guess I won't be moving back there for quite some time.

No, I never went to pattaya luckily. I actually turned down a fairly decent job there maybe ~ 4 years back simply because of the reputation the city has.

I can completely understand too enjoying certain hangouts then moving to nicer places as time goes on, I'm the same exact way. When I first moved here I went to all these expat hangout dive bar places and loved them. Girls, cheap beer, loud music.

Now days though, it's just up scale pubs/restaraunts and wine bars. Usually when I go to these places the only expats there are the ones in our group and we sort of like it that way.

I think there's about 3,000 foreiners in this city and from what I can tell, about 25 of us are career type people, the rest are English teachers, we have a completely different schedule than them because we work m-f and English teachers usually work just Friday, Saturday, Sunday so we are lucky to avoid the whole backpacker/cool guy party scene.

No, I never went to Pattaya luckily. I actually turned down a fairly decent job there maybe ~ 4 years back simply because of the reputation the city has.

One of my sleazier friends says that every year there are 5-6 reported suicides in Pattaya- an old Sexpat with an ex-bargirl wife seems to end it all by jumping out of their high condo. In some cases they arrest the wife, some they don't. But it's enough of a thing that it is meant to have a name- "the Pattaya High-Fliers' Club".

One of my sleazier friends says that every year there are 5-6 reported suicides in Pattaya- an old Sexpat with an ex-bargirl wife seems to end it all by jumping out of their high condo. In some cases they arrest the wife, some they don't. But it's enough of a thing that it is meant to have a name- "the Pattaya High-Fliers' Club".

Sounds like I made a good choice then haha. Yeah that place is probably in the running for armpit of Southeast Asia.

Picture bosu ball squats, but on a medicine ball. Of course, the dude lost balance and face planted. I had the luxury of viewing such nonsense today.

I'm pretty tired of broheim's using the safeties as a springboard for their rack pulls that they have no idea why they're doing.

Picture bosu ball squats, but on a medicine ball. Of course, the dude lost balance and face planted. I had the luxury of viewing such nonsense today.

Oh noes...

Did he died?

Back