Gym Idiots Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't usually contribute much, but I was in the university gym lifting yesterday. Was at the smaller gym on campus so I couldn't hide away at the squat racks. I overheard one guy mention to his spotter after a bench set "Those last couple were all you!". Read that again. Total face-palm.

Also, apparently you should never max out or go for heavy singles. Apparently they're only to stroke your ego and it actually doesn't promote any strength gains or adaptations.

Doing deadlifts today, some guys with his hot girlfriend were in the power rack beside me. Dude was a pretty fit guy and seemed to be doing a circuit of some sort with pull ups and BOR's. His girlfriend goes up to him and asks him what he's doing, he just explodes at her like an asshole. She was being really nice too. He says something along the lines of "What do you think i'm doing? I'm training my endurance, technique, strength, speed.. I'm crossfitting! blah blah" and he just rambled on about how he's building strength etc. He then told her to go do something productive and work on her strength or "some shit"

It was pretty funny actually...

Tried to teach a guy to deadlift. Literally could not get him to keep his arms straight or extend his hips at the top, he just didn't understand how to feel his body position. Heard him talking to someone about going to a Crossfit gym for a trial session... The dude ain't gonna make it through whatever they put him through, guaranteed.

i tried to teach a guy how to squat, but he could barely even squat underneath the bar to put it on his back and then couldnt get it on his back because he was so inflexible. ive never seen that before... his a typical gym rat with massive arms and shredded though. the kinda guy that prob cant touch his ear.

he weights about as much as me and i told him how a guy in my weight class did 585 on squats and he goes "thats alot. yeah i did 500 on leg press... yeah it was about 500." i go "oh.. well theyre...pretty similar i guess" - hes never done squats before.

A guy showed up to the No Gi class I take wearing Vibrams (the five finger shoes), he got on the mat and tried to join in the class. The instructor yelled at him to taked those fucking things off the mat.

What a dink. I wear those things and I would never try to wear them on the mats lol.

Anyways today I got to the gym and these two kids (16 or 17) were in the only rack. They were 1/4 squatting 265 with the pad on. Whatever. So I ask them how long and they say "5 sets". So I go right to my bench pressing. I do two bar sets, three warm ups, and three work sets with generous rest times. It takes around 20 min altogether.

I circle back to the squat rack and the two kids are still in there. They are yapping about basketball shoes. I begin my bodyweight warm ups, do some goblet squats etc. They are now yapping about how their heights. 10 min goes by and they have just yapped, not a single rep, so I'm getting pissed off. Finally the kid unracks it, wobbles backward, does a 1/8 squat, then struggles to re rack it.

I go over there and ask if he is done and he says "two more sets". I just snapped. I started yelling. I said something like " i've watched you two yap for 10 minutes, this isn't a social club, you have to actually do your work out so shut up and start lifting the weights". The one kid says "just let me do one more set". I say "do it, but hurry the fuck up". He does his set quickly and they slink away with their tail between their legs.

I felt like an asshole afterwards, but that's too bad. If they want results they need to get in, do the work, and get out. I was probably doing them a favor in the long run.

Why-I-Go-to-the-Gym.jpg

Didn't feel like searching for the appropriate thread for this...but since it is Crossfit, I guess it kind of applies to this thread, anyhow.

They now offer group training at my gym featuring mish mash circuits on equipment- swiss balls, C2 rowers, bosu balls, battle ropes, medicine balls, and TRX. When I walked in they were doing some exercise where like one foot was in the TRX band while they were doing alternating slams with the bosu balls. I had to laugh.

Overheard a guy telling his friends that he'd seen an Asian guy in Hollister who had a massive upper body but tiny, skinny legs.

He then attributed this to Chinese people having 'shitty leg genetics'

Does wearing vibrams in the gym qualify for gym idiocy?

I work out at home with KBs and exercise barefoot round the house so I am used to that sort of thing.

I don't usually contribute much, but I was in the university gym lifting yesterday. Was at the smaller gym on campus so I couldn't hide away at the squat racks. I overheard one guy mention to his spotter after a bench set "Those last couple were all you!". Read that again. Total face-palm.

Also, apparently you should never max out or go for heavy singles. Apparently they're only to stroke your ego and it actually doesn't promote any strength gains or adaptations.

So is this thread Gym Idiots according to the principles of Strength Training? Did you bother to even look into what this guy is trying to accomplish during his time in the gym?

If his intention is to look good with his shirt off, then yes doing heavy singles is nothing really more than an ego-lift. You don't need to lift a shitload of weight to induce hypertrophy.

I understand as a person who probably does Wendler's or follows the Conjugate Method that this drivel would seem silly to you, but not everyone is trying to accomplish what you are and that doesn't make them an idiot.

I was at the gym yesterday trying to cram two days into one due to a busy schedule. There were only about 300 people at the gym. Only 300...

I'd like to believe that it was all of the 1/4 squats, partial reps, bosu insanity, and bros that made me throw up a bit in my mouth and not my own stupidity of doing too much work.

I also learned that doing more than 3 plates on the DL is, "just dangerous".

So is this thread Gym Idiots according to the principles of Strength Training? Did you bother to even look into what this guy is trying to accomplish during his time in the gym?

If his intention is to look good with his shirt off, then yes doing heavy singles is nothing really more than an ego-lift. You don't need to lift a shitload of weight to induce hypertrophy.

I understand as a person who probably does Wendler's or follows the Conjugate Method that this drivel would seem silly to you, but not everyone is trying to accomplish what you are and that doesn't make them an idiot.

Did you even read the post?

First off, the dude told his spotter "that was all you bro". Gee, wonder what that spotter's goals were?

And the next point was that someone else told him that heavy singles are useless. He's not saying someone else was dicking around by not doing heavy singles- he's saying someone came up to him and informed him that what he was doing was useless. So, curlbros telling him that singles do nothing for you does make them an idiot, as they're being wrong about it and claiming their BS as fact.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

It felt appropriate.

So did you just came in here to pick out someone's post, misinterpret it, and then bitch about it?

You sound like a cool dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back