Gym hoppers. Good or bad?

my instructor is a black b and the entire team is a pretty good group of guys. i started training 2 years ago under an instructor who knew limited jiu jitsu and had no belt rank. so based on numbnuts opinion i should still be under the 1st guy and not with the bb. makes sense.

Having team loyalty helps the competitive structure of BJJ as it is not an Olympic sport that receives money and it does require competitive structure from clubs to progress in a local scene.

Also, having team loyalty helps talent pools develop in each club, if there was no loyalty, the more talented guys would just be leaving to train with the most prestigious instructor.

Changing gyms is not bad if you do it for the right reasons, but you need to not be a douchebag about it and change gyms whenever you feel like it because it suits you. If you disagree, it means you are a gym hopper and do not have any loyalty to your team, or you train in a very 'free love' and liberal area which is not common.

You would never get anywhere in BJJ unless an instructor put faith and time into showing and teaching you, have a bit of respect for that. Instructors should not be treated as BJJ dispensing machines, you are coming into their establishment they have worked hard to build and you are agreeing to become a part of that and help it grow, and if you up and leave for no good reason, then you are being a dick.

I cant see why people are so upset with this logic? USA BJJ hasnt gone that far down the pan has it?

This is interesting and is brought up every now and again. What's more important for you guys? Your team or your instructor? This answer varies wildly depending on what level you're at but for the most part I always felt it was more important to have good training partners and a competent instructor. I'll that combination over a great instructor and shitty team every day of the week.

If your instructor is great, your teammates won't be bad for long. If he just has a new gym or a lot of newer students, it may not be a bad situation. Everyone learns from a great teacher, and you help each other improve along the way. Even if you're a big fish in that pond, the instructor can still help you progress, and eventually some students may emerge that can also push you to improve. The sky is the limit, but it may take time to get there.

The flipside is with a merely competent instructor but good teammates is that they'll help push you to improve, but you could potentially reach a point where you surpass the instructor as the best grappler in the gym. Especially if you have a thirst for technical knowledge and your instructor is not as passionate about continuing to develop his own game, this can happen. What do you do then, if you still want to push your game to an elite level?

You would never get anywhere in BJJ unless an instructor put faith and time into showing and teaching you, have a bit of respect for that. Instructors should not be treated as BJJ dispensing machines, you are coming into their establishment they have worked hard to build and you are agreeing to become a part of that and help it grow, and if you up and leave for no good reason, then you are being a dick.

I cant see why people are so upset with this logic? USA BJJ hasnt gone that far down the pan has it?

Dude, lay off the brain wash.

It is his job to teach you. working hard to build! really.

help it grow? where does it say that in your contract?

If your instructor is great, your teammates won't be bad for long. If he just has a new gym or a lot of newer students, it may not be a bad situation. Everyone learns from a great teacher, and you help each other improve along the way. Even if you're a big fish in that pond, the instructor can still help you progress, and eventually some students may emerge that can also push you to improve. The sky is the limit, but it may take time to get there.

The flipside is with a merely competent instructor but good teammates is that they'll help push you to improve, but you could potentially reach a point where you surpass the instructor as the best grappler in the gym. Especially if you have a thirst for technical knowledge and your instructor is not as passionate about continuing to develop his own game, this can happen. What do you do then, if you still want to push your game to an elite level?

At some point serious students of the game need to take the onus upon themselves to learn outside of class and use competitions, seminars, instructional videos and whatever other resources they can think of to improve. Besides, what does it mean to be the "best grappler in the gym"? I think we can easily agree that it's not the person who's tapping everyone, right? Afterall, just because I possess the strength and athleticism to tap out everyone in the gym that doesn't make me the best grappler.

Out of curiosity, of the purples on up posting in this forum what role does your instructor play in your development? I find the greatest value my instructor provides is when he points out minute details to moves I'm struggling with or encouraging me to try something else in a certain position. But these nuggets of knowledge occur less and less as I continue to progress and I believe that makes perfect sense.

Do you guys think people should stick to one team and not gym hop? What is your opinion on these people?

As long as they don't claim to have not trained before, then do an advanced spider guard sweep on you, followed by a choke setup you've never seen before.
I hate those kind of gym hoppers.

And what you do is your prerogative but the reason why so many people maintain this sense of loyalty is due to the role that your team plays in your training. IMO your instructor can only teach you so much. Your teammates are the ones that you practice with and discover holes. Hence another question that always comes up, privates vs. group classes.

I know people that have joined bigger team because it gave them more people to train with. The quality of the main instructor was not the major factor.

By principles, I am against someone paying privates classes with their own instructors.

Out of curiosity, of the purples on up posting in this forum what role does your instructor play in your development? .

nothing really.

You instructor plays a role at white belt and maybe at blue.

But by purple, you pretty much writing your own thesis/phd on BJJ and you start studying and researching from different sources.

In the end it does not matter. Some faithfuls and gym hoppers are awesome training partners and awesome people while some respectively are assholes. Respect anyone on the mats until they do something to lose it.... Touchy people around here.:eek:

BJJ (or anything else for that matter) is not a one-size fits all journey.

People with legit reason for changing gyms I have no issue with.

And at white and blue belt there's not much harm to it anyway. It's not like we have loads of secret techniques or anything.

But as you progress to purple and beyond you are privvy to tons of info on the serious competitors at your gym regarding injuries, games, strategies etc.

Jumping gyms then and possibly facing old team mates or coaching against them in competitions would be dick move of the year in my book. Maybe that's just me and seeing as I've experienced someone coaching against me whom I've trained for many years with it just rubs me the wrong way.

I liken it to a ( pro or otherwise high level ) MMA team where people are serious about the sport in more than a hobby fashion and giving up inside info could have serious repercussions on a career you put alot of stake in.

In the end it does not matter. Some faithfuls and gym hoppers are awesome training partners and awesome people while some respectively are assholes. Respect anyone on the mats until they do something to lose it.... Touchy people around here.:eek:

BJJ (or anything else for that matter) is not a one-size fits all journey.

so simple and so true. worry about your own journey and let others worry about theirs.

it would suck to lose friends who switched but they would undoubtedly still be my friends.

i pay to train so i train wherever the fuck i want. im not brazilian. i wouldn't be allowed to train if i didn't pay. so fuck off.

At some point serious students of the game need to take the onus upon themselves to learn outside of class and use competitions, seminars, instructional videos and whatever other resources they can think of to improve. Besides, what does it mean to be the "best grappler in the gym"? I think we can easily agree that it's not the person who's tapping everyone, right? Afterall, just because I possess the strength and athleticism to tap out everyone in the gym that doesn't make me the best grappler.

We have a brown belt at my gym that is easily in the top ten in the world at his weight class. He took gold at Pan Ams, and lost to the eventual champ in the quarterfinal at Worlds. He regularly beats two of our black belt instructors, and they have not tapped him with any regularity in several months. He's using resources outside of our school to improve, just as you described. His technical knowledge rivals that of either of those instructors, and he's got phenomenal execution because he is both a perfectionist and the hardest working guy at our gym. Is he strong and athletic? Sure, but that's not why he's winning...even our black belts will tell you that.

I can say with confidence that the folks at my gym would understand it if he decided to move on to another gym, one with elite level competitors and some of the most highly regarded coaches in the sport. I wouldn't hold it against him, he has the potential to be the brown belt world champ, and to become a strong black belt competitor as well.

However, we happen to have an outstanding 3rd degree black belt as our shihan, Johnny Lee Smith. Johnny's technical knowledge and understanding of jiu-jitsu is deep enough that he has something to offer even a world class competitor. Yes, this young man has a great deal of loyalty to our school, but he also feels that he has everything he needs to be a world champion right where he is.

Now, say that instead he had started training at a small gym with a purple belt instructor...perhaps one without much drive to improve his own game? Should this guy have surpassed his teammates and instructor, and then struggled to improve and fulfill his potential...strictly out of loyalty?

I don't think someone should change gyms lightly. However, there is a time where it is understandable, and the right move to make for the development of their jiu-jitsu.

Out of curiosity, of the purples on up posting in this forum what role does your instructor play in your development? I find the greatest value my instructor provides is when he points out minute details to moves I'm struggling with or encouraging me to try something else in a certain position. But these nuggets of knowledge occur less and less as I continue to progress and I believe that makes perfect sense.

That's consistent with what I see at my gym. The biggest role instructors play in helping purple/brown/black belts is to help them refine their technique.

I'm only at my school because of my instructor.

I love the people at my school and my instructor, i just go to other gyms time to time to roll with other people because i get burnt out of rolling with the same people all the time

I'm a Grappling hobo. Due to school and work, I've had to go from gym to gym for the last 5 years. I've been to 4 different gyms total. It's been interesting, I feel like my game is unique and truly my own because of it due to being a large mixture of people's games.

I don't care unless you lie about why your leaving. I had a guy at my gym say his girlfriend didn't want him training anymore (Worst excuse ever btw) and then he goes to another gym after we were nice enough to go out of our way to cancel his contract for nothing. I just happen to be friends with the other gyms owner and he told me.

Just say you don't like the gym, instructor, whatever. Don't be a little bitch, man up.

A couple of years ago, my work schedule changed, and I couldn't make night classes. That meant I would only be able to train on the weekends, which isn't enough for me. I talked to my instrutor about it, and I started training at my instructor's best friend's school. My now second instructor, was having a rough period at the time. He was hurting for students, so my teacher told me to start paying him. I was up front and honest about wanting to still train at the school I started out in when I joined. I now train at both places and my instructors have no problems with it. It has actually improved my game since both of my instructors as well as the students have different styles.

Even though, I don't pay my original instrutor anymore, I make sure to be conscientious and bring him things he needs for the gym (toilet paper, laundry detergent, etc), advertise, and what not. Every so often I'll bring a little something (present), just to show my gratitude as well.

Also, my instructor has lots of pictures and video of him training at Macaco's. I mean it wasn't a problem even with all the drama between Macaco and Godoi.

Im not a BJJ hippie like many on this board. I dont think that gym hopping to suit every tiny whim you have is cool, the only legit reasons for leaving a club are 1) the instructor is not teaching you properly 2) you have to relocate 3) The club is not competitive enough, or too competitive for you.

what if: 1- the instructor is a douchebag, despite teaching well? 2- you just don't fit- i.e. if your instructor is a bible thumpin, religion pushin' dude, and you don't dig that, or vice versa, you're religious, but the instructor calls students p*ssies and drops f bombs all the time? 3- a bunch of the students are just not good training partners, and injure each other all the time?

why are those reasons not legit?

If you leave after you have been graded and made the decision to be at one gym then you need to honor that...

the thing is, you don't. and what if you've never 'made the decision to be at one gym' to begin with, but just happened to have been working out there?

for me, the owners of the gym i started at had a falling out, and ended up splitting into THREE different gyms. was every guy in the gym not loyal (and a dick), as we all had to chose where we were going to go and ditch someone?

gyms are businesses. you may be friends with some of the owners and employees, but they're businesses. do what you need to (and frankly, what you want to.

Back