Gym got rid of airdyne! Elliptical as substitute? Thoughts?

SpicyMayo

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
the commercial gym I go to got rid of the airdyne!!! What a crime!!

Asides from running, it’s one of my favorite tools for conditioning/ weight loss... especially because it’s non weight bearing.

Anyway... what do you guys think of using an elliptical as a replacement?
They have plenty of those... and when you think about it... it’s similar...

they have handlebars like the airdyne so you can get a full body workout... and if you crank up the resistance you can actually do some pretty brutal intervals.

Thoughts? Should I just sue the gym instead ;)

I’m about to see if I can buy one.. they aren’t too expensive actually..

This. I just got my concept 2 and am doing a 5k after every lifting session and am already noticing results after 14 workouts. Amazing piece of equipment

I'm trying to get my CV back, so hard rows first then weights.

Not ideal but broke 5k @ 1 min 50.1 per 500m as a warm up on tuesday prior to deadlifts.

Good bit of gear that concept 2

From a recent thread:

I said:
Older Airdynes are really cheap on Craigslist. They don't have the modern computers on them, but they give you just as good of a workout and are really well built.

They also have a pretty small footprint.

I'm trying to get my CV back, so hard rows first then weights.

Not ideal but broke 5k @ 1 min 50.1 per 500m as a warm up on tuesday prior to deadlifts.

Good bit of gear that concept 2

Lol and I thought my skipping warm ups were sometimes a bit much but 5k on the erg?

Just remember people from the catch/full compression it’s legs down, body (swinging your shoulders from in front to behind your hips) then arms (bend at the elbows only after you have straightened your legs then swung back your body). From the handle at the body position it’s arms, body swing forward, legs compress (if you don’t straighten the arms first then your knees get in the way).

Jesus man leave that gym asap. Im so sorry for your loss.

Time to take mass shootings out of the schools and into the gym.

I was so bummed when I moved to a new gym and they didn't have them. About 50 bloody running machines and 30 bikes/elliptical, but no airdyne's.

The last couple of weeks I've started all my workouts with ten minutes on the bike, ten heavy rowing, and ten on the elliptical. This is doing me ok so far.

Do they have an UBE and a spin style stationary bike?

Back