Guy tries using Windows 98 as his primary OS

Okay, well skipped to 6:18 and it shows the actual system he's using.
That looks to be the real deal. Someone did make a bare bones kit a couple of years ago. I wanted one bad but they were ridiculously expensive.

I git my first PC when I was 11 in the early 90s. that shit was Windows 3.1 son !!!

anyone remember this??

1043487-1.gif~c200

You're a youngin'... as a I said you need to load and save on a cassette. Tons of fun.

You're a youngin'... as a I said you need to load and save on a cassette. Tons of fun.

haha my older bro had a commodore, but he would never let me touch it, aside from being locked up in his room.

I git my first PC when I was 11 in the early 90s. that shit was Windows 3.1 son !!!

anyone remember this??

1043487-1.gif~c200
Laser Squad and Commander Keen were my go to win 3.1 games until X-Com came out.

Laser Squad and Commander Keen were my go to win 3.1 games until X-Com came out.

I personally was a huge fan of Sierra Games. King's Quest, Gobliiins etc. I was too young but used to watch my bro play Police Quest & Leisure Suit Larry when he would let me.

Anyone here ever watch "Halt and Catch Fire"? If you like nostalgia of vintage computers, it's great. Good show in general.

I dont know. Probably just a personal preference based on familiarity. I had very little hands on experience with 2000.

We had 95 then 98 on our home computers but my dad had NT at work and he fucking hated it.

I was in computer school when 2000 came out and had to use it quite a bit. It supported less hardware then 98 but was far more stable because it used the NT kernel. It was designed as a business OS, and so stability was given a higher priority than it was for the consumer-oriented 9x releases.

Generally the "tick-tock" of "amazing-shitty" holds up for Windows releases, but not for 98. I must admit I didn't think it was really like that at first.

Windows 95 was sort of mindblowing after 3.1
But Windows '98 was fantastic, too.
Windows 2000 was not my favorite.
Windows XP was fantastic.
Vista was a disaster.
Windows 7 was(is) incredible. GOAT.
Windows 8 did kind of suck out of the box. Windows 8.1 once you configured the Start Menu was a pretty solid OS.
Windows 10 is fantastic, and I understand why they basically have built backdoors into controlling your OS, especially with the updates, but I can't stand it. I hate that.

95 was definitely a huge step up in terms of the look and features, but goddamn was it ready to crash at any random moment. I actually loaded it onto an old system I had just a few years ago and literally within 10 minutes of having installed it I was getting errors.

You'd have thought that Microsoft considered errors out of the box a feature.

That looks to be the real deal. Someone did make a bare bones kit a couple of years ago. I wanted one bad but they were ridiculously expensive.

Why precisely would someone want that, especially at a high price?

I mean, I guess I could see someone wanting one for nostalgia purposes or just to tinker with, but I couldn't see someone being willing to spend serious money on it.

Anyone here ever watch "Halt and Catch Fire"? If you like nostalgia of vintage computers, it's great. Good show in general.

Great show, especially season 1. The pilot episode remains to this day to be one of the best, most finely crafted pieces of television I've ever seen.

Considering the ratings, I am shocked we're going to end up with four seasons. But I'm thankful.

Some very good memories!!. Windows 98 was when I first really got into computers

Worst has got to be ME. Shit still makes me toss and turn at night. Been using since 3.1

I used 98SE long after it became obsolete. It's totally useless now, even with KernelEX.

you get office cred, doing this, instead of plastering sticky notes on your screen.
floppy-password-hack.jpg

When did you finally leave it behind? And why did you stick with it for so long?

I really don't know why. I upgraded to XP, which is now considered obsolete even though XP is the best version of Windows.

I still have two Windows 98 CD's. One is the original Windows 98 and the second is the SE edition Windows 98 was great but it didn't have the real multiple users like newer Windows versions had. If you made two users files would save in each different users folder BUT you could access both users files without any issue.

Back