Guys crossing legs in side control to avoid being mounted. | Page 3

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Slippyj***, Mar 27, 2012.

1. The K1000 Orange Belt

The K1000
    You're holding your opponent to you instead of creating space, I'd be saying thanks.

2. Bebop Brown Belt

Bebop
    i like the knee on belly option if i can get it, but my transition there is pretty weak. what i do find, though, is if they cross the knee like that, their mobility sucks and it's easier to surf to the other side and start attacking from there instead.

3. TrumpetDan Green Belt

TrumpetDan

This video is so much better than the youtube. I cant even watch my youtube videos anymore. They make me cringe.

Grappling Basics

I do have something for the foot grab! its easy but hard to explain online. I position my left leg (the one not being grabbed) in a way that blocks them from grabbing it

4. muttonwar White Belt

muttonwar
  5. KJGould Silver Belt

KJGould
    The arm triangle option above is very good also, if you can get that arm scoop.

6. NastyNugs White Belt

NastyNugs
    I am holding my opponent, also controlling his movement. I decide when I want to make /remove space and when I want to escape, if I pull my leg closer to my body it will open up space and I will then proceed to straighten out my leg, shrimp and put my knee inside,(moving quickly). .

I usually will only do this when i'm tired and am more worried about them getting mount or going to north south than sweeping or establishing my guard. I do this especially for people who are real spazzy and it will stop them from doing anything. My far arm will usually be under their throat so I don't get americana'd or Kimura'd. BTW I'm a white belt.

Any one see any major flaws in this defense, other than while i'm holding it I cant really do much? Or subs or sweeps I have from this position?

7. kjg1672 Purple Belt

kjg1672
    Whenever someone puts their leg up like this it glues their hips to the mat, never a good thing in JJ.

8. Kozbot Purple Belt

Kozbot
    that shit is MOUNT CITY SON, get with it

9. SuedeWade87 Orange Belt

SuedeWade87
    I use this defense when I'm tired and it's decent at stalling but not much else. I frame for it though by pressing my arch into my knee and then base off the leg to drive into their side While my elbow presses the hip from opposite side pinning them a bit. People get around it by just abandoning mount and taking submission options, but if you're quick u can use sub attempts to initiate a scramble. Still, mostly used for stalling and as long as u just move on to north south or begin working for a sub they will gain nothing from it on bottom.

Edit: I am a one stripe white belt so my advice is purely from being the guy on bottom and just shedding light on how they make me pay for it

10. Steelviper Green Belt

Steelviper
    I've heard that "defense" called the "TV watching position". As in, you should only be in it when you're watching TV.

11. jaysculls Purple Belt

jaysculls
    Me talking about this position on the bottom and why I don't like it (It's 16 minutes but I talk about different things):

Thanks for watching,
    Jason Scully

12. NastyNugs White Belt

NastyNugs
    Great info on the theory behind the position jaysculls. You and tumpet dan probably have the best BJJ vids on Youtube in regards to both mindset and technical skills.

13. rmongler Purple Belt

rmongler
    people who do that are just asking for a leg turk