Guy getting incredibly tired

P

Pugilistic

A friend of mine started lifting for several months ago he's been complaining the whole time that he gets incredibly tired after lifting. He is about 6'2 and 180lbs, lanky and is one of those people who can't gain weight to save their lives. He wants to pack on more muscle and using his words, "look normal." I never seen him with his shirt off but he looks the stereotypical skinny fat guy without the best proportions.

He was going to the gym and just lifting shit willynillly and basically after weeks of arguing with him, I convinced him to get on the starting strength program. He got up to a 90 lb deadlift and squat and has thanked me because he said he finally looks like he has an average amount of muscle. He jokes that he had to work out for months just to look like the average guy who doesn't work out. But now he has recently quit working out due to the extreme level of fatigue lifting causes him.

He says it makes him so tired he can't do anything afterwards and ends up sleeping 10-12 hours. He has to stop working out because he can't function in life basically. I never heard of anyone getting this tired. I workout (in both lifting and cardio) way more than him and don't get that tired. I asked him about his diet and he says he eats a ton. I don't know the exact details but from what he tells me it seems like only a bit more food than what I eat, but I'm also 5'5 and 150 lbs.

To me it doesn't make sense that an 180lb guy can't handle lifting 90lb weights while a smaller guy like me is lifting way more than and functioning normally. I told him maybe there's another issue at play and to get it checked by a doctor. He says he asked people around him and they told him it's because he's "getting old." He's 29 and I'm 32.

Is this normal? I'm curious if this is a normal case or if something else could be going on.

Not trying to be a prick here, but my 6 year old has deadlifted 75 lbs. The neighbor that is 7 years old put up 75 lbs with total ease. Granted, their range of motion is not big since they are so short. Either way, there is no way this guy is putting in any effort.

Honestly, either something is severely medically wrong with the guy OR he's making excuses because he doesn't like to lift and wants to get you off his back.

I think the second option is more likely.

People who aren't into fitness just don't wanna do it. I've tried to get friends of mine to lift with me. We go once or twice, they get spooked by the specter of attempting a 65lb bench press or something, and they never return.

(also, wtf? a 90lb deadlift? Does he mean 90lb plus the bar? because at least that's a plate on each side--how do you even deadlift just 90 pounds? the bar is 45. Like not to harp on this but there is LITERALLY an 80-year-old woman at my gym who deadlifts >155 so this makes no sense to me)

Honestly, either something is severely medically wrong with the guy OR he's making excuses because he doesn't like to lift and wants to get you off his back.

I think the second option is more likely.

People who aren't into fitness just don't wanna do it. I've tried to get friends of mine to lift with me. We go once or twice, they get spooked by the specter of attempting a 65lb bench press or something, and they never return.

(also, wtf? a 90lb deadlift? Does he mean 90lb plus the bar? because at least that's a plate on each side--how do you even deadlift just 90 pounds? the bar is 45. Like not to harp on this but there is LITERALLY an 80-year-old woman at my gym who deadlifts >155 so this makes no sense to me)

I didn't push him to work out; it's something he sought out to do on his own accord. It seems he's never lifted weights until last year and I'm thinking he's never done anything athletic before either. He says he's done "kung-fu" and "martial arts" for years, and that can mean anything. He wanted to get more muscular and healthy so he started to lift weights on his own and sometimes asks me questions. I found out about his fatigue issues because he was asking me if it's normal. I'm leaning toward something is really wrong with him myself. Either that, he's been killing himself in the gym or eating nothing but according to him, he doesn't feel that tired in the gym (the fatigue comes afterwards) and he eats more than normally.

The people who told him he's getting old obviously don't know anything about anything.

None of what you are saying makes any sense. You are either trolling or your friend has AIDS.

90lbs deadlift <Lmaoo>pouring the bullshit on a little thick aren’t you?

Other than the weights mentioned being absurdly trollishly light (90 pound deadlift? I’ve seen teenage girls pull 225 first time lifting), it sounds like a case of low T.

Also unlike what Trump believes no, lifting weights for an hour doesn’t exhaust you. If you are training hard you will want at least 8 hours of sleep though.

Sounds like excuses with him very worried about being out of his comfort zone. Either way DOMs at first are the same for everyone, he'll just has to be committed to it otherwise this entire ordeal is pointless.

The only thing I can think that would hold him back is if he has muscular dystrophy, but at that point he would struggle to walk.

90 lbs?? .. I don’t get how you can end up that weak at 29. Has he never done anything physical in his life?

There might be something legitimately wrong with him. He should see a doctor.

If he keeps training, I would recommend taxing the nervous system as little as possible and even ditch the weights because I've read that loading the spine fatigues the CNR. So that would be calisthenics, low reps, low sets, never to failure, progressing gradually.

Eustress training, basically.

See how he responds to that.

Not trying to be a prick here, but my 6 year old has deadlifted 75 lbs. The neighbor that is 7 years old put up 75 lbs with total ease. Granted, their range of motion is not big since they are so short. Either way, there is no way this guy is putting in any effort.
thinking the same thing. ive ditched my bar, but my daughter was getting 65lbs when she was 6. She is jacked now at 8, i wouldnt be surprised if she was at 95.

I feel like this might be a friend bashing thread, with exaggerrated weakness. i know guys who are 6’2, and 160 who are much, much stronger than that.... in fact.......

i mean, just cull the motherfucker if this is true. Put him out of his misery.

A friend of mine started lifting for several months ago he's been complaining the whole time that he gets incredibly tired after lifting. He is about 6'2 and 180lbs, lanky and is one of those people who can't gain weight to save their lives. He wants to pack on more muscle and using his words, "look normal." I never seen him with his shirt off but he looks the stereotypical skinny fat guy without the best proportions.

He was going to the gym and just lifting shit willynillly and basically after weeks of arguing with him, I convinced him to get on the starting strength program. He got up to a 90 lb deadlift and squat and has thanked me because he said he finally looks like he has an average amount of muscle. He jokes that he had to work out for months just to look like the average guy who doesn't work out. But now he has recently quit working out due to the extreme level of fatigue lifting causes him.

He says it makes him so tired he can't do anything afterwards and ends up sleeping 10-12 hours. He has to stop working out because he can't function in life basically. I never heard of anyone getting this tired. I workout (in both lifting and cardio) way more than him and don't get that tired. I asked him about his diet and he says he eats a ton. I don't know the exact details but from what he tells me it seems like only a bit more food than what I eat, but I'm also 5'5 and 150 lbs.

To me it doesn't make sense that an 180lb guy can't handle lifting 90lb weights while a smaller guy like me is lifting way more than and functioning normally. I told him maybe there's another issue at play and to get it checked by a doctor. He says he asked people around him and they told him it's because he's "getting old." He's 29 and I'm 32.

Is this normal? I'm curious if this is a normal case or if something else could be going on.

stopped reading there. eat more.

Sounds like excuses with him very worried about being out of his comfort zone. Either way DOMs at first are the same for everyone, he'll just has to be committed to it otherwise this entire ordeal is pointless.

The only thing I can think that would hold him back is if he has muscular dystrophy, but at that point he would struggle to walk.
I don't know if this affects anything but he did a ton of drugs when he was younger. He's been lifting for several months now so I feel like he should be used to it by now. I don't think he's the type to make excuses especially since this is something he went out of his way to try on his own.

There might be something legitimately wrong with him. He should see a doctor.

If he keeps training, I would recommend taxing the nervous system as little as possible and even ditch the weights because I've read that loading the spine fatigues the CNR. So that would be calisthenics, low reps, low sets, never to failure, progressing gradually.

Eustress training, basically.

See how he responds to that.
That's good advice. I'll tell him that. I've also been telling him to get checked but he still is convinced this is "normal," according to some people around him who obviously don't work out.

I can vouch Pugilistic ain't no troll.

I can curl considerably more than he deadlifts, that's fucking weak. It's actually incredible.

I vote for something being really wrong with him. My dad as a 72yr old nerd who lost half of a calf to tb back in childhood could do more than that without having lifted ever before.

I don't know if this affects anything but he did a ton of drugs when he was younger. He's been lifting for several months now so I feel like he should be used to it by now. I don't think he's the type to make excuses especially since this is something he went out of his way to try on his own.

That's good advice. I'll tell him that. I've also been telling him to get checked but he still is convinced this is "normal," according to some people around him who obviously don't work out.
There are people who look to do new hobbies, but really aren't for it. Or realize its tougher than it was and wants out. Happens all the time in fitness.

"I'm ready for a fight coach" or "Yeah I wanna lose this guy"

then after a few sessions, just disappear.

There are people who look to do new hobbies, but really aren't for it. Or realize its tougher than it was and wants out. Happens all the time in fitness.

"I'm ready for a fight coach" or "Yeah I wanna lose this guy"

then after a few sessions, just disappear.

Yeah it's possible. I feel like lifting weights by yourself is completely customizable so you can go as light or hard as you want. If he is really straining himself, he can go lighter. After my last conversation with my friend I think you are right though. I was trying to tell him that it isn't normal and that people half his size, including women and children, lift more than he does without getting that tired. I implored him to get it checked because it might be a symptom of a worse problem and he just gives me a sarcastic response, "Yeah lifting isn't tiring at all." I pondered his issue partially because I am genuinely curious and also to see if I help him, but he may not really want it after all.

I feel like anyone who has reached adult age can deadlift 135, male or female

Back