Gustafsson has the best adaptability in MMA, will be 205 lb champ.

Best adaptability is such a made up, non-point. He won't be champion as he has been defeated by anyone he has faced that could plausibly hold a title. Nothing has changed.

A lot of the tactics Jon Jones uses to control distance do not work vs. Gustafsson. I feel like if this fight is one of the best possible matchups the UFC has ever had the chance of making.

Plus Jones linear attacks like side kicks, oblique kicks, his long right cross is nullified by Gustaffsons lateral movement and slick boxing causing a hard counter for any of those, leaving Jones with spinning attacks and round kicks.

Gus said he believed he lost to both Jones and DC via being outworked in championship rounds and that he worked specifially on that, then goes on to KO Glover in the 5th round in one if the best displays of cardio I've ever seen at 205.

Best adaptability is such a made up, non-point. He won't be champion as he has been defeated by anyone he has faced that could plausibly hold a title. Nothing has changed.

Jones is a non-factor for the foreseeable future, DC is over the hill and Gus is only getting better. Who, other than those two, will stand in his way?

Well if DC wins at HW he may retire or stay there, so the UFC will likely gift him a title shot if he signs a new contract

Did he sign a new contract yet?
Yes

I agree he's skilled as hell, would just be nice to actually see him fight every once in a while

He's basically the Cain of LHW when it comes to activity

He’s great at turning and running from the pocket. He ran from Glover lol

Gustaffson went from having virtually no wrestling skills in the Davis fight, to having high caliber skills that led to impressive take downs, coupled with skillful take down defense within a small amount of time. He is an astoundingly fast learner, is incredibly strong, and despite his one off fight with Johnson, is naturally tactical.

Gustaffson deadlift reps of 660 lbs with bottom heavy hips. Cormier is old, and Jones has been out to long.

Everybody is sleeping on Gustaffson.

ZLWpKyx.gif

Know one is sleeping on him. And this is not a very ballsey prediction. He gave the number 1 and number 2 guys, possibly, there toughest fights ever.

The division is paper thin. Cartoonishly thin. There were four legitimately elite guys with Jones, Gus, AJ and Cormier at the top.

Jones is facing a multi-year suspension
AJ retired
Cormier is nearly 40 and taking a final fight at heavyweight

Literally there is no one else. Gus is going to be champ by default.

Until the UFC increases the entry pay up from 15k to get your head punched in, you will not see elite athletes in their prime the size of 205/265 enter the sport. We're shuffling around old farts.

If "adaptability" means being able to gain credit for losses then yes, he is #1 in MMA.

If Gus wins the belt it will only be because guys who beat him (Jones, Humble, DC) aren't in the picture.

Losing to the best every time and later picking up the scraps ... ain't the same as being the best.

So not sure what "best adaptability" even means doe.

No one is sleeping on him.......take JJ and DC out of the loop and he’s da fooking man!

Am I supposed to be impressed by a 230lbs athlete doing clean and press with 95lbs with half the ROM on the press?

He's also 3-3 in his last 6... gtfo.

Oldest trick in the book. Someone walks in while you are doing pullups (or any other lift) and you callout 101, 102, 103.......

If Gus wins the belt it will only be because guys who beat him (Jones, Humble, DC) aren't in the picture.

Losing to the best every time and later picking up the scraps ... ain't the same as being the best.

So not sure what "best adaptability" even means doe.
It must mean being the only guy guy who will be adaptable enough to be in the UFC in 2019.

D.C. - old, retiring, not adaptable.

Jones, not adaptable enough to stop being a goddamn fuckup.

Rumble- selling weed... wait, that seems adaptable to me.

Gus might be Adaptable enough to win the belt by default.

Agreed. Gus adapted to losing a decision to Bones by getting his shit pushed in by Rumble two fights later.

It must mean being the only guy guy who will be adaptable enough to be in the UFC in 2019.

D.C. - old, retiring, not adaptable.

Jones, not adaptable enough to stop being a goddamn fuckup.

Rumble- selling weed... wait, that seems adaptable to me.

Gus might be Adaptable enough to win the belt by default.
DC is not adaptable in what way? Because he's old and retiring?

Just say Gus might win by default, being the last man standing. Being 'adaptable' has virtually nothing to do with it.

Correct, based on this thread that must be what adaptable means.
That's patently wrong, though. Being successful across two weight classes despite aging (beating, for example, younger men in Gus and Humble) means DC is, in fact, adaptable.

So why you'd think Gus is more adaptable than (e.g.) DC is curious.

Gustaffson went from having virtually no wrestling skills in the Davis fight, to having high caliber skills that led to impressive take downs, coupled with skillful take down defense within a small amount of time.
I think you need to watch that Davis fight again. I'm not sure where you get "virtually no wrestling". Phil was having a hell of a time trying to get him down.

Wouldn't he have been able to adapt to Cormier, Jones and Rumbles style and beat them?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back