***Gurdarshan "Saint Lion" Mangat SHERDOG Q&A***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am ready! Most likely I may drop to Flyweight . I don't walk around too heavy , 145 off season , so the bantamweights are huge nowadays but if they banned weight cutting then id move up to 135 . For myself personally , i am at a point where UFC isn't the only option i look at anymore. First lesson of business is that risk but equal the reward. If i am fighting the best guys the world i want to be paid the best money in the world. Think a lot of fighters cut themselves short and don't see their own potential and thats how i think organizations take advantage. Its also why i am happy where I am right now. I would love to fight in the UFC and def feel I'm ready but i am also older now and dreams of family , and such have to make sense for the bread i bring home. we break ourselves in these camps and go out and put on shows that can have devastating effects on our bodies, minds and ppl close to us, least we need is good compensation for this especially if we are called professional athletes .
Great answer my man, thanks again for stopping by.

Also, looking at your fight finder page it says you also train at 10th planet jiu jitsu. I've always found the 10th planet system very interesting. Do you still train there often? What are the advantages to 10th planet's system in addition to traditional bjj that will help you in grappling exchanges in your future fights?

Yes i am there least 2-3 times a week under 10th planet black belt Nabil Salameh who was given his black belt straight from Eddie Bravo. It is definitely interesting, i felt in the gi i could rest in the guard more and there was more stalemates where wen i roll no gi 10th planet they are very active from there backs so you always gotta be alert cause they always trying to break posture and break you down with mission control. I feel like my fast twitch reactions have gone up a lot cause theres scrambles and a lot of action . I enjoy it a lot and am always exhausted at the end of every session. I have also grown my arsenal of submissions much more cause i never focused on leg locks, ankle locks in the past and wen i first arrived there i was getting caught so much but i realized theres much more limbs than just the arms and quickly adapted.

Yes i am there least 2-3 times a week under 10th planet black belt Nabil Salameh who was given his black belt straight from Eddie Bravo. It is definitely interesting, i felt in the gi i could rest in the guard more and there was more stalemates where wen i roll no gi 10th planet they are very active from there backs so you always gotta be alert cause they always trying to break posture and break you down with mission control. I feel like my fast twitch reactions have gone up a lot cause theres scrambles and a lot of action . I enjoy it a lot and am always exhausted at the end of every session. I have also grown my arsenal of submissions much more cause i never focused on leg locks, ankle locks in the past and wen i first arrived there i was getting caught so much but i realized theres much more limbs than just the arms and quickly adapted.
It would be awesome to see you hit a heel hook or an ankle lock in your next fight!

So kind of to springboard off this... There was a video you posted awhile back...around UFC 196, I think it was. Where you were hanging out with Dana & he was saying he wants you in the UFC, etc.

So the question is have they made you offers before they just weren't to your liking?

I am signed by Paradigm Sports Management who also manage some of the biggest names such as a Conor , Bisping, Larkin, wonder boy etc . and so obviously my plan was to go to the UFC but i have something else in my hands and that is the Indian Market, whichever organization i go into India with I can make my name , and thats something they had to sit me down and explain and i agreed with them. the end goal is the ufc , but there is so much more potential outside . so there was talks after that video but then we also had to sit down and discuss the long term plan over the short term plan and gains, and we went back on the patient road of pursuing india with them.

Are you a fan of womens mma , and if so who is your favorite fighter? Thanks for your time!!!

i am a huge fan of women MMA!! I would have to say Waterson and Joanna are my favourite. I love Joannas skill , and love watersons skill and her story as a mother, its very inspiring.

favorite video games?

Mighty mouse has me streaming here and there but I'm not on like how he is on the regular but if you want to follow me on twitch is saintlion87. My favourite game in the past lil while has been Battlefield 1 , never seen such amazing graphics, and first time i have ever bought the soundtrack to a game cause the music was amazing. was so addictive! but still huge COD fan and was pumped for infinite warfare and then tossed on battlefield ,and was done with COD

Hi Gurdashan,

Best late night takeaway food after a good night out on the lash, chicken tikka or poutine?

hahaha my montreal days says poutine and my indian genes say homemade chicken tikka but theres prolly a chicken tikka poutine out there somewhere so u could kill 2 birds with one stone

Mighty mouse has me streaming here and there but I'm not on like how he is on the regular but if you want to follow me on twitch is saintlion87. My favourite game in the past lil while has been Battlefield 1 , never seen such amazing graphics, and first time i have ever bought the soundtrack to a game cause the music was amazing. was so addictive! but still huge COD fan and was pumped for infinite warfare and then tossed on battlefield ,and was done with COD
Hell yeah! Rack up them wins and you'll get the Terry Crews money, playa:

Can you play yourself on the EA UFC game, yet?

Cricket is very popular in India, just wondering, are you fan and have you ever played it?

I played a bit wen i was a kid and have tuned into matches, whenever india vs pakistan its a huge thing!! but I'm hoping i can give indians something new to cheer for besides just cricket .

Hi,
apart from training at tristar, what else did you like about Montreal :)

Who has been your toughest opponent so far & why?

my toughest opponent has been myself, i don't see my opponents i only see the battles i have with myself, and this has proven to be true cause the battle i was losing with myself leading up to a fight is the one loss i have on my record. definitely learnt a lot from it and forever grateful of it, i monitor myself a lot , emotionally, mentally, physically, physically being last. if I'm mentally there , there aint a man across from me that can stop me.

What's your favorite submission and striking technique?

Was about to go to sleep and realised I forgot to ask the most important question!

What are your favourite choons to listen to when you're training?

I listened to new the Zara Larsson album today, google it and give ti a play, it's bloody terrific!

Hi,
apart from training at tristar, what else did you like about Montreal :)

MTL was a crazy journey , you get taken to places with objectives in mind but u never know what god truly has in store for you. i went to train with the best and in taking great risk of leaving all that i know behind, friends, fam, comfort, i met my fiancee who changed my life and sure i changed hers from being in mma. she hardly knew anything about it and now i think she on sherdog more than i am. life is a trip and ppl who have this weird idea of how they want their life and have control of everything but in all honesty we don't have much control over anything . Everyone has their own version of fairytales, some ppls are just good moments , vacations, expensive things, others fairytale moments are made from many broken nights, many painful days, many realistic downfalls to make history , they create their own fairytale not let someone else build it for them. but truly grateful of finding my beautiful fiancee and the strength she provides on this journey .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back