Gunnar Nelson loses appeal of KO loss

Ponz basically finger-banged his orbs clean outta da sockets

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyy...

Thumbs up, Ponzarelli

Why mock him for getting eye poked deep...like a lot of times. That's pretty horrible

Hvtfu8Z.jpg

I doubt it would be overturned even if it got to that point.

Gunnar posted a link to his website where he has addressed losing a recent appeal to have his first round KO loss to Santiago Ponzinibbio.

https://www.nelson.is/is/frettir/eye-pokes-in-glasgow

My understanding is that Gunnar had Johny Hendricks design his website.
You'd have to be retarded to not think his complaints are 100% valid. Ponzinibbio is a dirty fighter and intentionally broke the rules throughout the fight.

What Ponzinibbio did is more dangerous than Palhares. I'd rather have a gimp leg than be blind.

You'd have to be retarded to not think his complaints are 100% valid. Ponzinibbio is a dirty fighter and intentionally broke the rules throughout the fight.

Its not so much that I disagree with his complaints, although at the time I really don't remember much talk about it or mention on the broadcast. I was just more shocked with how he chose to address it like that.

It would be fair to argue that referee errors won't be fixed if they aren't criticized, but it would also be fair to say that not a single fighter ever has ever improved their image to the fanbase or other fighters by complaining openly in a similar fashion.

Its not so much that I disagree with his complaints, although at the time I really don't remember much talk about it or mention on the broadcast. I was just more shocked with how he chose to address it like that.

It would be fair to argue that referee errors won't be fixed if they aren't criticized, but it would also be fair to say that not a single fighter ever has ever improved their image to the fanbase or other fighters by complaining openly in a similar fashion.
I didn't watch the fight live and I had a similar reaction until I actually saw the evidence. What that guy did was pretty damn egregious, blatant disregard for the rules and sets a very dangerous precedent.

Palhares is rightly denounced, but his wins are fair and square. This guy broke the rules (clearly intentionally, he repeated it over and over during the short duration of the bout and even held onto his shorts) to win, and easily could have blinded Gunnar. Personally I think the UFC should ban him for that.

I didn't watch the fight live and I had a similar reaction until I actually saw the evidence. What that guy did was pretty damn egregious, blatant disregard for the rules and sets a very dangerous precedent.

Palhares is rightly denounced, but his wins are fair and square. This guy broke the rules (clearly intentionally, he repeated it over and over during the short duration of the bout and even held onto his shorts) to win, and easily could have blinded Gunnar. Personally I think the UFC should ban him for that.

I think it might be worth a re-watch for me. I honestly don't remember him purposely doing it. I know that Gunnar often fights in a way where he jumps in and out and if Santiago had his fingers extended it could result in inadvertent eye pokes. I'll need to review.

Dunno man. Every other appeal has been declined so why not try something else? Think he was just trying to draw attention to it to create discussion in order to try sway the appeal decision. Can't blame him for that. Long as he doesn't go overboard like Hunt.

Another reason I'd rather continue boxing, it's a shame the sport still doesn't have any real protocal regarding them. Honestly if I got eye poked it'd take me atleast 10min to recover, idk if my eyes are just super sensitive or these guys have insane pain tolerance but eye pokes are the worst.

Good. The two eyepokes that happened in this fight were irrelevant to the outcome.
How is impaired vision irrelevant to a fight? {<huh}

When they're against the cage he poked both eyes. The first one where he had his arm and fingers extended when Nelson came in for a strike could have been an accident (more likely gameplan), but not two of them back to back against the cage, and certainly not "irrelevant."

So, basically eye poking is one of the most effective tools in the current mma landscape, with zero consequences. Good to know.

yeah if rumble's "loss" via eyepokes to kevin burns isnt going to get overturned, then this isnt. it wasnt even a eyepoke->punch, he just crumpled to the ground from the pain of having a detached retina

vid is timestamped

appeals pretty much never work, because they dont want to set a precedent that causes everyone to appeal every loss

If they didn't overturn Burns' win over Aj they aren't overturning this.

Back