Crime Gunman opens fire during Mass in Catholic church, kills at least 4 (Brazil)

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Gunman opens fire during Mass in Catholic church, kills at least 4
Four people were killed and four others were injured after a gunman opened fire during Mass inside a Catholic cathedral in southeast Brazil on Tuesday, officials said.

The gunman ended up killing himself, officials said.

Officials said the unidentified man, armed with a pistol and a .38 caliber revolver, entered the Metropolitan Cathedral in Campinas, a city about 60 miles north of Sao Paulo, the Folha de S. Paulo reported.

Globo News reported the man walked to the front of the church during Mass and opened fire. Then he turned the gun on himself, the military police told the newspaper.

AP18345626363784.jpg

A firefighter walks next to a victim killed at the Metropolitan Cathedral in Campinas, Brazil, Tuesday, Dec.11, 2018. Authorities say an armed man entered the cathedral in southern Brazil on Tuesday afternoon and opened fire, killing at least four people before killing himself. (Denny Cesare/Futura Press via AP)

The four people who were injured were taken to local hospitals. Their conditions were not immediately known.

“We do not have information on motivation or who the victims were," Alexandre Monteiro with the military police told O Globo newspaper. “Most [were] elderly, innocent people and he [the suspect] ended up firing on all these people. The scene is desperate, a great tragedy.”

Hamilton Caviola Filho, the local police chief, told Globo they estimate the gunman fired at least 20 rounds and there could have been a greater death toll had military police not entered the church as soon as they heard gunshots.

“I entered the church, the Mass was over. A few minutes later the gunman came in and stood in de front of a couple and opened fire,” Pedro Rodrigues told Folha de S. Paulo. “I ran away, there was no screaming, just running. And he kept firing. I’m very lucky to be alive.”

Wilson Cassante, a spokesman for the Campinas archdiocese, told The Associated Press the officiating priest had left before the shooting began. He said church officials did not recognize the shooter or have any ideas about his motive.
These guys really like shooting up churches.

Speaks volumes about the nature of good and evil, IMO.

Who is the gunman? Didn't see his name in there. Maybe I missed it.
Not there. I just assumed they didn't have it yet. He was a stranger to the church. I figure with all the favelas down there they might not have the most expeditious or consummate government records and tracking.

Not there. I just assumed they didn't have it yet. He was a stranger to the church. I figure with all the favelas down there they might not have the most expeditious or consummate government records and tracking.

People sometimes say "don't publicize the shooter's name, you're giving them the notoriety they wanted."
I'm actually a little creeped out by the possibility that the news will one day stop reporting that information.

Went to Mass to pray, but ended up at a mass shooting.

Lame.

RIP.

People sometimes say "don't publicize the shooter's name, you're giving them the notoriety they wanted."
I'm actually a little creeped out by the possibility that the news will one day stop reporting that information.
I get the sentiment, saturating the news with coverage of these shootings has long been thought to increase the chances of generating copycats. But completely omitting the name of the shooters seems like a bit much. These stories should be covered with all the relevant information that is known being made public but at the same time the media should move away from sensationalizing these kinds of stories.

People who need to know can look to public records. If gun rights aren't unlimited then neither is freedom of the press. Assholes who don't like guns but enjoy expressing their opinions would probably cry about a law that says you can't talk about these shooters. Citing the Constitution. :rolleyes:

Damn. RIP to the victims.

Ever since all these shootings began to increase, I've always worried about something like this happening at my church. Makes it really hard to pray when you've got an eye on the entrance. It's not good for the spirit and I imagine everyone who survived this will forever live like this.

Not only we have a fuck ton of crime, now we have mass shooters as well.

Guy worked at IT and had depression.

Who is the gunman? Didn't see his name in there. Maybe I missed it.
Euler Fernando Grandolpho, 49, IT guy.
foto_facebook.jpg

His ID, drivers license:
atiradorfoto.jpg

I wonder why he'd do such a thing? Seems senseless.
According to police and doctors, paranoid schizophrenia.
20 rounds with a wheel gun?
He had a semiauto pistol and a .38spl revolver. He reloaded the pistol at least once and didn't use the revolver. The media said he used a 9mm pistol but 9mm pistol is the term the media uses for any pistol, that's when they don't call it a glock or every rifle an AK-47 or AR-15. 9mm are legal in Brazil since 2017 (they were only for the military for logistical reasons, most ammo is produced by CBC and they didn't want police and civilians buying it up, old school protectionist ideas), and not as popular as .380ACP and .40 S&W, so I'd bet he used one of these.
Guns are legal for home ownership, not concealed carry, but as hard to obtain as in Europe, he probably had an illegal gun.
Here he is, laying dead with his pistol while keeping trigger finger discipline:
homematirador.jpg

Video of the attack. Low quality.

Victims:
Dead:
vitimascampinas.jpg

Sidnei Vitor Monteiro - 39, top left
José Eudes Gonzaga Ferreira - 68, bottom left
Elpídio Alves Coutinho - 67, top right
Cristofer Gonçalves dos Santos - 38 bottom right
Wounded:
Maria de Fátima Frazão Ferreira, wife of José Eudes. Released from hospital.
Jandira Prado Monteiro, Mother of Sidnei Monteiro. Released from hospital.
Unnamed 65 year old man. Released from hospital.
Dr. Mário Gatti, 84, hit on the chest, went on surgery and is currently on ITU.

There is actually quite a bit of evidence that publishing the name/photo and making them famous triggers copycat killers.

See e.g.

https://scholarcommons.scu.edu/engl_176/31/

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0002764217730854

Personally I think nobody needs the name. Nobody needs the photo. Age, sex, profession, ethnic / religious background, biography etc. are all relevant.

Generally speaking I feel way too much focus is on the killer instead of those affected by the deed.

These guys really like shooting up churches.

The article said nothing was known yet about the shooter or his motive.

By "these guys" did you really just mean Brazilians??

:
homematirador.jpg

I'm not a firearms expert, and some vary obviously, but I notice the slide is locked back. Most the semiautomatic hand guns I've fired lock open after the last rounds.

So that to me would mean he had planned to use the very last round on himself? I mean he was keeping track very well to know when he was down to a single round left. I know at the range I'm bad at keeping count of how many I've fired, so for him to do so in what to us would be a stressful moment hints to a calmness and awareness as he did this.

Last edited:
The article said nothing was known yet about the shooter or his motive.

By "these guys" did you really just mean Brazilians??
He probably meant mass shooters, see Dylan Roof, the synagogue shooter and the other guy who shot a Baptist church and got stopped by a good guy with a rifle.
I'm not a firearms expert, and some vary obviously, but I notice the slide is locked back. Most the semiautomatic hand guns I've fired lock open after the last rounds.

So that to me would mean he had planned to use the very last round on himself?
Possibly, he committed suicide.

He probably meant mass shooters, see Dylan Roof, the synagogue shooter and the other guy who shot a Baptist church and got stopped by a good guy with a rifle.

Possibly, he committed suicide.

Sorry I was editing as you replied since my post sounded like "mr. Obvious".

I mean he was keeping track very well to know when he was down to a single round left. I know at the range I'm bad at keeping count of how many I've fired, so for him to do so in what to normal people would be a stressful moment hints to a calmness and awareness as he did this.

Agree, media is all over interviewing colleges and family this only draws more attention to the crime, which I´m sure sick people want attention. The guy was very disturbed, had no social life, lived with his dad fuck him.

There is actually quite a bit of evidence that publishing the name/photo and making them famous triggers copycat killers.

See e.g.

https://scholarcommons.scu.edu/engl_176/31/

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0002764217730854

Personally I think nobody needs the name. Nobody needs the photo. Age, sex, profession, ethnic / religious background, biography etc. are all relevant.

Generally speaking I feel way too much focus is on the killer instead of those affected by the deed.

Back