Gunman Arrested at Phoenix Comicon Wanted to Kill Green Power Ranger

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Gunman Arrested at Phoenix Comicon Wanted to Kill the Police and Green Power Ranger

Jason-David-Frank-1000x390-Dragonlord.png

A man armed with loaded handguns and a shotgun was arrested at Phoenix Comicon yesterday and told police he intended to kill “bad” police officers as well as Jason David Frank, the actor known for being the Green Power Ranger who is attending the convention, according to court documents.

The judge set 31-year-old Mathew Sterling’s bail at $1 million and he is facing charges of attempted murder, three counts of aggravated assault, resisting arrest, carrying a weapon in a prohibited place, and wearing body armor during the commission of a felony, according to the Phoenix police.

The police report obtained by the Arizona Republic states Sterling “believes that there are police officers that have kind faces in uniform but they can be bad officers,” and he “would use violence against them if it meant he needed to protect his friends.”

Sterling allegedly told police he was the Punisher, and that the firearms were for “self defense in case officers gave him trouble and that he would shoot to kill.”

But his vendetta against cops was only one reason for his attendance, according to police who said he intended to kill Power Rangers actor Jason David Frank.

The police report states that Sterling told them he stabbed the potential victim 15 years ago at an event and wanted to “finish the job.”

At Sterling’s initial court appearance, Maricopa County prosecutor Ed Leiter said he had set a calendar reminder in his phone for May 25 to “kill JDF comicon.”

“He exhibited a dramatic threat to the community beyond police officers, beyond Jason David Frank,” Leiter said. “A number of other people were referenced as possible targets or people he wanted to kill.”

No one was hurt at the event and Phoenix Comicon organizers have since heightened security measures for the duration of the weekend.

Including restricting the entrances and increasing security at the checkpoints, Convention Director Matthew Solberg said in an email prop weapons would be prohibited at the event.

Phoenix Comicon Gunman Allegedly Wanted To Kill Police And Green Power Ranger Actor

Dude, WTF?! I wish we knew more about why he specifically targeted Jason David Frank.

Also, I'm especially WTFing at "he had set a calendar reminder in his phone for May 25 to 'kill JDF comicon.'"

Just an item on his to-do list. . .

He was lucky the cops shown up or else JDF would have spin kicked his ass to oblivion

Nerd rage is a serious condition.

Delusions are a sumvabitch to deal with. Both for the person having them and the institutions having to deal with the person. I think neurology and medical tech will eventually be able to deal with it humanely but for now the only places those with severe issues can live is psychiatric hospitals aka jails aka places of ill repute. Its a sad state of affairs and one that will eventually raise moral dilemma. This century will allow for brain surgery to eliminate potential neurological and psychological issues at birth. The big question will be should it be done?

Last edited:
Also, I'm especially WTFing at "he had set a calendar reminder in his phone for May 25 to 'kill JDF comicon.'"

Just an item on his to-do list. . .

For real, dude was a complete nut.

..Also who'd try and fight with Tommy? That's like the last person you'd mess with at comic-con.
powerrangers-kicks.gif

Tommy was the shit when I was younger. As for the perp, enjoy your time in prison, nerd-boy.

The Green Power Ranger really seemed to be enjoying his little press conference.

Guy probably has schizophrenia or something of the sort. Apparently thought he was the punisher. I've dealt with people that had serious mental conditions, one of them thought she was an angel and another talked to aliens through head phones.

The mind can make you do crazy shit.

This stuff is very serious. I hope the authorities take it as such.

Stories like this remind me of the actress from "My Sister Sam" that was stalked and then killed by a fan. After all, the word "fan" is a shortened word for fanatic.

Friend went and texted me yesterday that he saw the guy before he got arrested.

Crazy.

Gunman Arrested at Phoenix Comicon Wanted to Kill the Police and Green Power Ranger

Jason-David-Frank-1000x390-Dragonlord.png

A man armed with loaded handguns and a shotgun was arrested at Phoenix Comicon yesterday and told police he intended to kill “bad” police officers as well as Jason David Frank, the actor known for being the Green Power Ranger who is attending the convention, according to court documents.

The judge set 31-year-old Mathew Sterling’s bail at $1 million and he is facing charges of attempted murder, three counts of aggravated assault, resisting arrest, carrying a weapon in a prohibited place, and wearing body armor during the commission of a felony, according to the Phoenix police.

The police report obtained by the Arizona Republic states Sterling “believes that there are police officers that have kind faces in uniform but they can be bad officers,” and he “would use violence against them if it meant he needed to protect his friends.”

Sterling allegedly told police he was the Punisher, and that the firearms were for “self defense in case officers gave him trouble and that he would shoot to kill.”

But his vendetta against cops was only one reason for his attendance, according to police who said he intended to kill Power Rangers actor Jason David Frank.

The police report states that Sterling told them he stabbed the potential victim 15 years ago at an event and wanted to “finish the job.”

At Sterling’s initial court appearance, Maricopa County prosecutor Ed Leiter said he had set a calendar reminder in his phone for May 25 to “kill JDF comicon.”

“He exhibited a dramatic threat to the community beyond police officers, beyond Jason David Frank,” Leiter said. “A number of other people were referenced as possible targets or people he wanted to kill.”

No one was hurt at the event and Phoenix Comicon organizers have since heightened security measures for the duration of the weekend.

Including restricting the entrances and increasing security at the checkpoints, Convention Director Matthew Solberg said in an email prop weapons would be prohibited at the event.

Phoenix Comicon Gunman Allegedly Wanted To Kill Police And Green Power Ranger Actor
XC7YjCA.gif

Going to suck for any future Cosplay type shows.

They are going to have to confirm every prop is exactly that and not a weapon

Going to suck for any future Cosplay type shows.

They are going to have to confirm every prop is exactly that and not a weapon

I hope not. Sometimes you just have to accept that life is never going to be a 100% safe endeavor.

Back