Gun Cleaning Thread

Be careful with Simple Green on aluminum parts. I've read that it can be a mild corrosive.

I was using Frog Lube but I switched to Weapon Shield. It doesn't smell bad at all and after watching George Fennel explaining it's properties and demonstrating it's wear resistance on YouTube I was sold.

Good video. Goes to show there's a variety of products out there than can do the various jobs.

My dad has used Hoppe's No. 9 since he was like 10.. which would have been in 1948.

For me I use Hoppe's to clean then the Frog Lube CLP to lubricate everything.

My dad has used Hoppe's No. 9 since he was like 10.. which would have been in 1948.

For me I use Hoppe's to clean then the Frog Lube CLP to lubricate everything.

I thought with frog lube you weren't supposed to use any other products. But I've no experience with it.

You aren't supposed to. Froglube does not play well with others.

I thought with frog lube you weren't supposed to use any other products. But I've no experience with it.

I've honestly never had an issue with gumming up when using Frog Lube after using Hoppe's as my solvent.

I've honestly never had an issue with gumming up when using Frog Lube after using Hoppe's as my solvent.

Any reason a guy should switch to frog lube? My main issue is it seems a little restrictive to use it and only it.

Any reason a guy should switch to frog lube? My main issue is it seems a little restrictive to use it and only it.
Mine's a pretty stupid reason that what ever my dad was using for lube I couldn't stand the smell or the feeling of it on my hands.

I bought a Hoppe's kit to clean a 12 gauge shot gun (Remmington 870 Express Super Magnum). It hasn't been fired in at least 10 years, but was at least stored in a case. Should I completely break it down and clean it or just cleaning down the barrel and such sufficient? I've never done it before.

There's a shop near me that does break down and cleaning for $45. This will probably make me sounds like a puss, but would it be worth it to take to them the first time just for peace of mind?

I bought a Hoppe's kit to clean a 12 gauge shot gun (Remmington 870 Express Super Magnum). It hasn't been fired in at least 10 years, but was at least stored in a case. Should I completely break it down and clean it or just cleaning down the barrel and such sufficient? I've never done it before.

There's a shop near me that does break down and cleaning for $45. This will probably make me sounds like a puss, but would it be worth it to take to them the first time just for peace of mind?

As you can see from the thread, when I got some new (to me) shotguns I broke them down as far as I could and cleaned the hell out of them. Other than cleaning equipment and some tools, all I needed was Youtube. It was a great learning experience.

I took a pistol to have it ultrasonically cleaned one time. It was worth it to see that I was already doing a fine job of keeping my firearms clean.

I probably don't clean my guns enough. Hell, I still haven't cleaned the Weatherby since I took it out last time.. same with my Para, Glock, and Srpinger pistols.

And that was at least a couple months ago.. shit.

Search Youtube and you'll find more than enough videos to help you break down and clean you 870. Save your $45 and buy some more shells.

If you don't want your weapon to work when it gets below 40 or 50 degrees

I broke down my Remington 870 yesterday and cleaned it, but forgot to lube it before reassembly so it looks like I'll be breaking it down again soon! >_<

I broke down my Remington 870 yesterday and cleaned it, but forgot to lube it before reassembly so it looks like I'll be breaking it down again soon! >_<

No worries. It's good practice and repetition helps the memory.

In watching some vids, I saw some guys use picks, some guys using brushes and so on. I didn't have either on hand so I just used Q-tips to get the little hard to reach crevices and making sure now to leave any strands of cotton behind.

Back