Guillermo Rigondeaux: A Hall of Famer?

Dr. Will

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
For me, he is a sure thing for the hall.
I don't want the quit job to completely eradicate the great things he has achieved in Boxing.

Amateur career -
  • Two-time olympic gold medalist (virtual consensus was that he was the best in the Cuban squad in both rodeos)
  • Two-time world amateur champion
  • Three-time world cup champion
  • Pan am games champion
  • He beat everybody who's a somebody in the amateurs.
Professional career -
  • The invincible boogeyman of boxing. Shamelessly avoided by everyone at 122lbs and 126lbs (he hasn't even been a 126lb fighter) - that level of fear must mean something.
  • World champion in his 8th pro fight
  • Put on one of the best performances ever to dominate the P4P number 3, Nonito Donaire who had just won 'fighter of the year'.
  • One loss, 2 weight divisions above against someone who looks like he is going to end up in the conversation of being one of the best ever.
  • In mythical head-to-head matchups, he is one of the best ever in his respective weight classes. He has earned the right to be called one of the best defensive fighters ever in terms of ability.

Probably not first ballot but yeah, he'll get in at some point unless he keeps fighting like he did saturday. He needs to go back to 118 where he belongs and just beat who comes along.

His pro career is not great but he is one of the greatest amatuers and a two time medalist in the olympics.

His only good win in the pros is nonito donaire

His pro career is not great but he is one of the greatest amatuers and a two time medalist in the olympics.

agreed but man the guy is very talented too bad about what <Arum did

Does amateur fights help get you into the hall of fame?

He needs to move back down and get a few more quality wins... Maybe try and lure Mares, LSC, Frampton etc into fighting him. I don’t see it happening though.

hmmm. I say yes, though probably not first ballot.

They have a few fighters in there mostly on the strength of their ammy careers (Papp comes to mind), and Rigo was legitimately an elite fighter with at least one big name win on his resume. Since he was so avoided, I think there will be some leeway in judging his resume, though he certainly didn't do himself any favors in negotiations.

I agree he couldn't be a first ballot HOF. His resume, despite everything beyond it that screams excellence, is still on the thinner size for a hall of famer. Yet it would feel criminal for him not to be in.

He has an OK record but it lacks big names for sure. There's some solid opponents on there, though.

Doubt he will be first ballot because of the Loma loss. That being said he did go 2 weight classes up from his own. Not sure if the HOF factors in amateur records but it would be a shame if they let Rigo out the HOF.

He has an OK record but it lacks big names for sure. There's some solid opponents on there, though.
The win over Donaire was incredible though. I was one of the few to pick Rigo, seeing that schooling was awesome.

Bullshit.

He has lots of good wins.

Donaire was his only great win.

Let's see how his career ends first. Right now it's tough to call.

Bullshit.

He has lots of good wins.

Donaire was his only great win.

Donaire is his only great win those other opponents are not on Nonito level, Hall of fame for his pro career nope not even close

but do they take into account his two gold medals in boxing in the olympics and his long amateur career? maybe for that

Back