Movies GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 (First Reactions, post #626)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: Dec. 1, 2022

First Trailer for James Gunn's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3

Update: April 17, 2017

James Gunn Confirmed to Write and Direct GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-2-Set-James-Gunn-Chris-Pratt-Dragonlord-.png

James Gunn wrote on Facebook: "The question that comes up perhaps the most is, 'What’s the deal with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, and are you going to direct?'

Before I was able to honestly answer this, I needed to know it was, in my heart, what I truly felt called to do. There is a history in Hollywood of haphazard endings to trilogies, and I didn’t want to become a part of that dishonorable tradition of pretending the third one doesn’t exist. I couldn’t do it for the money, and I couldn’t do it because it was what other people wanted me to do. I needed to do it because it was what I needed to do. I have never made choices in my career based on anything other than passion and love for the stories and characters, and I didn’t want to start now.

So, after many months of ruminations and discussions, I know the answer. I could save this answer for the first, random interviewer to ask me during the press junket but instead I thought I’d share it with the most important people in the Guardiansverse – you, the fans, who have been so incredibly supportive and enthusiastic over the past five years, it has moved me to tears on a regular basis.

So, yes, I’m returning to write and direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.

In the end, my love for Rocket, Groot, Gamora, Star-Lord, Yondu, Mantis, Drax, and Nebula – and some of the other forthcoming heroes – goes deeper than you guys can possibly imagine, and I feel they have more adventures to go on and things to learn about themselves and the wonderful and sometimes terrifying universe we all inhabit. And, like in both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, we will work on creating the story that goes beyond what you expect.

I can’t fricking wait to get started.

Much of what’s happened in the MCU for the past ten or so years has been leading, in a big way, to the Avengers’ Infinity War. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will happen after all that. It will conclude the story of this iteration of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and help catapult both old and new Marvel characters into the next ten years and beyond. I will be working side-by-side with Kevin Feige and the gang to help design where these stories go, and make sure the future of the Marvel Cosmic Universe is as special and authentic and magical as what we have created so far.

I promise you, the fans, I’ll do it all with integrity and love and respect for the characters."

Update: April 20, 2017

Adam Warlock Won't Be in AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR But Will Likely Appear in GUARDIANS 3

Adam-Warlock-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-042017-Dragonlord.jpg

While talking with James Gunn with SlashFilm at today’s junket in West Hollywood, the filmmaker revealed that Adam Warlock was originally part of the sequel:

“I love Adam Warlock. He’s one of my favorite characters. In all truth, I wrote an early treatment where I had Adam Warlock as a part…this is your big scoop, because I don’t think I’ve told anybody this… It was Adam Warlock. He was a big part of the screenplay and I realized it was one character too many. And I adored the character. I adored what we had done with him. I think we did something really creative and unique with Adam Warlock. But it was one character too many and I didn’t want to lose Mantis and Mantis was more organically part of the movie anyway. So I decided to save him for later.”

While on the set of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, James teased a chaacter who was removed from the treatment before production began, so we can now consider this mystery solved:

"I’ll say one major thing that happened during the treatment phase, not even during the script phase, during the treatment phase, there was another character that was a major character. That was a part of the treatment. Although it kind of worked generally in the story, I got to the place where there were to many characters. I think Civil War handles a lot of characters really well, but they’re minor characters, and in this movie every character has their own arc. Their own thing. And I thought it was one character too many, so I took one of the characters out of the story about half way through the treatment phase. But the eventual 70 page treatment, which is what it was, is what this movie is, and it has changed very, very little."

In another interview at the junket today, Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige told me that Gunn is developing Adam Warlock to be included in a future Marvel cosmic universe film. When SlashFilm mentioned this to Gunn, he was also quick to point out that Feige’s reason for clarifying that he is working on the character is because “people are going to think it’s about Infinity War.” And Gunn makes it clear that this is not the case:

“He’s not. He’s not in Infinity War. But he will be a part of the future Marvel cosmic universe and a pretty important part of that.”

While neither Feige or Gunn have outright said that Gunn is developing Adam Warlock for Guardians of the Galaxy 3, it’s a safe assumption since he announced he would be directing the film earlier this week. Feige also implied as much, telling the site “If he appears anywhere in the future, it’ll be in Guardians.”

Exclusive: Adam Warlock Was Originally a Major Character in ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2’; Will Be in ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’

Update: May 16, 2017

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 Will Be Last Movie for This Iteration of the Guardians

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-2-051617-Dragonlord.png

Before Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 even debuted domestically, writer/director James Gunn confirmed that’d he be back at the helm of the third movie, assumedly titled Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.

Now, thanks to Gunn in a recent Q&A session with fans, we know that it’ll be the final movie featuring the current iteration of the Guardians we’ve come to know and love.

“With this iteration of the Guardians of the Galaxy, there will be three movies,” Gunn said in his Q&A sessions live on Facebook this past weekend. “So this next movie is the final film for this iteration of the Guardians.”

Debuting in 2014, the current iteration of the Guardians includes Peter Quill/Starlord (Chris Pratt), Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Drax (Dave Batista), Rocket Raccoon (Bradley Cooper), and Groot (Vin Diesel). If you count those characters added in Vol. 2, you can add Mantis (Pom Klementieff), Nebula (Karen Gillan), and Kraglin (Sean Gunn) to the mix.

Gunn dug quite deep into Guardians lore over the course of Vol. 2, even introducing some of the original 31st Century Guardians team members, including Stakar Ogord/Starhawk (Sylvester Stallone), Aleta Ogord (Michelle Yeoh), Martinex (Michael Rosebaum), and Charlie-27 (Ving Rhames).

While it’s unsure what their role is — if any — Gunn has hinted that it certainly hasn’t been the last time we’ve seen the original Guardians.

http://comicbook.com/2017/05/16/guardians-vol-3-last-movie/

Update: January 14, 2018

James Gunn Says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 Will Come Out in 2020

Update: January 14, 2018

James Gunn Says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 Will Come Out in 2020

I was pretty disappointed with the second one, so I'm not that excited for a third.

I do love the characters, though, so here's hoping.

Was kind of bummed for a second that it wouldn't be out until 2020, and then i remembered Infinity War 1 will be out in a few months and then the second one is next year. Excited to see where GOTG 3 goes.

Three years is a big gap, but I suppose they have to fit it in around Infinity War.
With their acquisition of Fox, Marvel Studios is going to have their hands full (more so than before) with finding a place for Fantastic Four and the X-Men related films. Marvel Studios could potentially have 5-6 movies each year. But if Kevin Feige is still in charge, I think they'll manage it beautifully. Meanwhile in DC, they're still struggling to make their single movie offering per year just to not suck lol.

Yeah, fans will still get to see the Guardians team every year from 2018 to 2019 due to the two Avengers films.
I wonder if they would off one of the Guardians in Infinity Wars? Since GOTG is such a successful franchise, i'm curious as to whether they would wait until the 3rd installment to kill off a main character rather than do it in an Avengers flick. I could see maybe Nebula, but have a hard time seeing them kill someone else.

I wonder if they would off one of the Guardians in Infinity Wars? Since GOTG is such a successful franchise, i'm curious as to whether they would wait until the 3rd installment to kill off a main character rather than do it in an Avengers flick. I could see maybe Nebula, but have a hard time seeing them kill someone else.
Yeah Nebula is a strong candidate to die. But I don't see the other original Guardians dying in the Avengers movie. I can see Mantis being killed though.

It would be hilarious if Hawkeye did kill Mantis.
http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/136404779/

Yeah Nebula is a strong candidate to die. But I don't see the other original Guardians dying in the Avengers movie. I can see Mantis being killed though.

It would be hilarious if Hawkeye did kill Mantis.
http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/136404779/

Nebula and Loki are high on my list of characters who are going to get got. If Thanos takes over that Agaardian ship I could see Loki providing the distraction for Thor to escape and getting murked. Nebula outright wants to go after Thanos and that's never a good move...

Really don't want to see Hiddleston go but I think it would provide some weight early in the movie if Thanos took him out and they have history given that Thanos commissioned him (via the C'htari) to take over Earth.

Will be very stoked for Guardians 3 when it comes out. Love that crew. Looking forward to seeing them in Infinity Wars too.

Sucks to hear, but it is a busy schedule. Hopefully, no forced laughter this time.

Three years is a big gap, but I suppose they have to fit it in around Infinity War.

Now the question is will they sneak in Adam Warlock in Infinity War and it's Sequel and then use him as the Magus in GOTG 3

Nebula and Loki are high on my list of characters who are going to get got. If Thanos takes over that Agaardian ship I could see Loki providing the distraction for Thor to escape and getting murked. Nebula outright wants to go after Thanos and that's never a good move...

Really don't want to see Hiddleston go but I think it would provide some weight early in the movie if Thanos took him out and they have history given that Thanos commissioned him (via the C'htari) to take over Earth.

Remember that quote about Thanos doing something so terrible in the first five minutes of IW he instantly proves himself as the ultimate Big Bad of the MCU? I think it wll open with the majority of Asgardians being wiped out by Thanos. Thor gets punched into space, where he later meets the Guardians. Loki gives Thanos the Tesseract, hoping to bargin for his life. Thanos thanks Loki, takes the Tesseract, then kills him.

Now the question is will they sneak in Adam Warlock in Infinity War and it's Sequel and then use him as the Magus in GOTG 3
I'm quite sure that Gunn said that Warlock is gonna appear in GOTG 3. And I think I've seen info that he said that studio allowed him to include Warlock in GOTG 2 but they asked him to warn fans that Warlock is not gonna appear in Avengers 3 and 4.

I'm excited to see how far they keep going in their own direction with the MCU. They've made certain changes where they're kind of announcing "this is not the comic books" and post-infinity war is gonna be the time to really do it.

I think they're gonna use the GOTG to shape the framework for the cosmic MCU after Infinity War. I can see them really going in a new direction and making Warlock the new big bad. Gonna be interesting.

From wiki "Gunn noted that Marvel gave him "some blowback" for including the Warlock teaser because they felt fans would believe the character would be appearing in Avengers: Infinity War and its sequel, which was not the case. By including the scene, Gunn promised Marvel he would use his social media presence to clarify for fans that the character would not be seen in either Avengers film.[93]".

I'm quite sure that Gunn said that Warlock is gonna appear in GOTG 3. And I think I've seen info that he said that studio allowed him to include Warlock in GOTG 2 but they asked him to warn fans that Warlock is not gonna appear in Avengers 3 and 4.

That's too bad , but restraint is important with what they have so far so that it's not a jumbled mess when you consider how many characters and possible subplots 3 and 4 will have. If they do adapt a version of Thanos getting his glove complete , Dr Strange could play the Warlock role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back