Guard players above white belt: do you know top game?

Dunno, Rickson did just fine against untrained opponents in fine and I believe the Miyaos have better wrestling then he does.
I don't think so. The Miyao brothers will cry like little bitches if they get sock in the mouth.

The Miyao bros would break a limb before the average joe has the chance to throw his second strike

I'm a former Division I wrestler and I've been training BJJ almost 9 years. I didn't start playing guard until I got my purple belt, and it's really all I do now.

I'm a former Division I wrestler and I've been training BJJ almost 9 years. I didn't start playing guard until I got my purple belt, and it's really all I do now.

Might I ask why? Wouldnt you be more comfortable on the top as a former wrestler?

I personally love being on top, never really liked playing the guard as I try to do the kind of BJJ I would apply in a self defense scenario, but the more I try to play guard in rolling the more I like it, I guess its because I know more sweeps and subs now.

I wrestled a bit in high school and started no-gi afterwards I loved playing guard. After I started gi, I'm turning more into a top game player.

Hi!

Wrestler turned Brown Belt Judoka turned newb BJJ blue here.

Throws/trips/shots followed by suffocating top control got me to where I was, but I have recognized my weakness in the guard game, so I now pull guard against white-blue-some purps when we start standing. Other purps and higher get the Wrestler/Judoka treatment for all of our improvement.....

....although sometimes coach say to me to make junior/peer partner work in stand-up.....

Practice is a time to strenghten your weakness!

Last edited:
When I first started doing grappling stuff with mates, before I had any training, I'd almost always attempt tp play guard just because I had the very basic understanding of how to get an armbar from the bottom and I was flexible enough to get a gogoplata. Granted I very rarely had good positioning, and it wouldn't have worked if my friends had been trained but I always used to go from the back.

When I started training properly I immediately found that I was more comfortable on top, crucifix, knee on neck and stuff like that took to me a lot more because I found I was able to wear people down and spend less time panicking about if i was going to get caught in a scarfhold, or getting tapped out.

I can do okay on my back but I'm always looking to bridge and get back on top.

As a white and blue everyone pullled guard on me soi got good at passing and controlling from top. as a purple no one one wants to start rolling by flopping to their back any more, so i finally get to work my guard.

The downside is everyone is blazingly fast when they pass my open guard so I'm struggling to feel out the moment and recognize what my options are

Back