Guacamole for $1 Extra

Law Talkin’ Guy

The Worm
@Gold
Reaction score
I have heard that the habit of restaurants charging extra for guacamole, whether it’s just a burrito shop, or a sit down restaurant that serves nachos or fajitas and the like, is a uniquely Canadian phenomenon. Is this true?

To my American Sherbros, if you ask for guacamole on your burrito at Chipotle (we don’t have Chipotlesin Canada) or ask for guacamole for your fajitas at Chilis (all of which I think went out of business in Canada last year) do you get charged an extra dollar for it?

I have heard that the habit of restaurants charging extra for guacamole, whether it’s just a burrito shop, or a sit down restaurant that serves nachos or fajitas and the like, is a uniquely Canadian phenomenon. Is this true?

To my American Sherbros, if you ask for guacamole on your burrito at Chipotle (we don’t have Chipotlesin Canada) or ask for guacamole for your fajitas at Chilis (all of which I think went out of business in Canada last year) do you get charged an extra dollar for it?
I like to eat at Moe's and they do charge extra for the guac. I don't always pay it because sometimes they forget to charge or in certain cases, since I'm a regular, some employees let it slide. But the policy is for them to charge $1 for guac.

Same here in New Zealand dude. You want it on your burrito or subway theres an addition charge.

Avocado can be expensive some seasons, there has even been people stealing them from orchards this year.

Yes.

Avacados are so hot right now, and places always place a premium on the it foods.

We get charged for it in the US too, usually.

It is worth it. That green shit is yummy and super healthy.

So avocado is hip now huh.

People are late to the party.

Guac is like $1.25 at the nearest Chipotle, and sour cream is extra too. Thankfully I found a restaurant that does takeout that's much better and cheaper. It's about $12 for a fully loaded big burrito at Chipotle, and you're not getting great quality.

Thanks for all the responses. The reason I asked is because my Dad travels to the US for work a lot and he likes to get fajitas at restaurants when he travels and he always tells me that in America guacamole doesn’t cost extra. That didn’t sound believable to me, that’s why I made this thread.

I think avocado/guac would just come with fajitas. It is extra on burritos, sandwiches, at chipotle, etc.

Thanks for all the responses. The reason I asked is because my Dad travels to the US for work a lot and he likes to get fajitas at restaurants when he travels and he always tells me that in America guacamole doesn’t cost extra. That didn’t sound believable to me, that’s why I made this thread.
Depends where you eat. If you're paying over $15 it's really unlikely they will charge you for guacamole. The cheaper places stress about avocados.

There is an avocado and lemon shortage right now so I am not surprised restaurants are charging extra for them.

I'm in California and they put avacado on everything here. Not complaining just saying

If you order something that doesn't already come with guacamole, then yeah you're gonna pay a little extra for it...but guac is already gonna be included most of the time with certain entrees like fajitas, quesadillas, etc at restaurants...

Dad lies haven't survived the invention of the internet.

I don’t even want guacamole, I want real avocado chunks. That shit is like 3 dollars extra if they even have it.

Im in SoCal where the people are no strangers to avocados/guacamole. At a place like Subway or my local sandwich shop it is extra unless the specific sandwich includes it. At a restaurant like Claim Jumper or Olive Garden, there may be sandwiches or burgers that specifically come with avocado and others where it's extra. At taco shops, things like carne asada tacos, carne asada plates, and carne asada fries, generally avocado is included. Other items it might be an extra. At taco shops there is also a distinction between American guacamole which is cut with sour cream and Mexican guacamole which is the pure uncut stuff. Only one way to go obviously.

I used to make good money on the black markets hustling hot avocado

My friend in high school had a step dad who was a local sheriff. One day a truck hauling avocados flipped over on the freeway. My friend happened to be driving with his step dad when he got the call and came up on avocados bigly.

Where I'm at a lot of people grow avocados in their yards and it's a common thing to raid people's trees.

Back