GTA V eclipsed 75 million units sold globally; now the #1 bestselling game ever on PS4

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Three years later, 'Grand Theft Auto V' hits 75 million shipped
maxresdefault.jpg

What a monumental threshold.

This happened in early February, but I just noticed it as I was monitoring how well the Switch is continuing to sell. If this got covered elsewhere with a discrete thread, I apologize, because I missed it. I imagine it probably came up in the GTA V thread.

It also just this past week eclipsed Call of Duty: Black Ops III as the bestselling game in terms of physical sales, ever, on this generation's dominant gaming console platform, the PS4, according to VG Chartz. With 14.80m units sold it edges out Black Ops III with 14.78m units sold. That secures its position atop every platform on which it was released as a meaningful sale (i.e. not a Kinect game inseparably packaged with the hardware accessory).

It also was the fastest entertainment product in history (movie, album, book, game, etc.) to reach $1bn in sales...after just three days. o_O

It's frustrating not having better resources to monitor digital sales, independently, but we just do the best we can by assuming extrapolation of physical sales will hold true and reflect an equal ratio to digital sales (this isn't an accurate reflection in every single instance because of how certain games are sold). Throw out all the Nintendo games that are on there because physical units shipped with the consoles, though, and you see why this is so special:
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

As a game, this is the bestselling AAA release of all time, hands down. Congrats, TakeTwo and Rockstar. Tip of the hat to your achievement. May your employees enjoy baller toys like this IRL:

dk4hdjh37n9mn62tr9nc.jpg

GTA V was truly a great game, single player was good and the online kept me busy for years. I don't play it anymore but I won't forget all the good times.

I played this on the 360, and now I have a One. With my 360 on the fritz, I've been hankering to play this game again, but I just can't bring myself to buy a game twice.

GTA V was truly a great game, single player was good and the online kept me busy for years. I don't play it anymore but I won't forget all the good times.

I really enjoyed GTA4 for the single player (online was ok) but the story for single player was fun and interesting to see play out. 5 I was never able to get into.

I really wish they had more reasonable prices for all of their newer content on GTA Online. I spent a lot of time with that game, but had to give it up when a lot of the stuff in the newer add-ons were just through the roof expensive. I don't have the time necessary to grind like that anymore, and I definitely don't want to spend real money on fake video game money. Still an awesome game regardless, had a lot of fun with it over the years.

I played this on the 360, and now I have a One. With my 360 on the fritz, I've been hankering to play this game again, but I just can't bring myself to buy a game twice.

It's a pretty significant upgrade on next gen, and has a few extras that the old versions don't. If you ever were to buy a game twice, this would be the one.

I couldn't get into V, but I did buy it. You're welcome, Rockstar.

Had a helluva time trophy hunting in late-2013 when it came out. Wouldn't mind giving it another go soon. Just got done with re-playing III / VC / SA a few months ago. IV is interesting in its own way, but a very limited experience, and didn't get far in the replay. V is excellent, though. Really curious to see how they'll push the bar on VI.

It's a great game. The only game I can think of that made the story like a television show. Which worked incredibly well. They also improved shooting mechanics greatly from older games. The driving was fun as well and imo improved over gta 4. Then add on online with a ton of features and you've got yourself a blockbuster. Still imo the best ps4 out. Its the number 1 game I've played for the ps4.

Rockstar really has set the bar as a AAA developer.

Red Dead Redemption, or GTA Wild Wild West, was one of the best games I've ever played.

As Bart Scott said in the playoffs...

I Can't Wait for the sequel.

As for GTA, I have to admit I dropped out after San Andreas, but Vice City was f'ng amazing. Maybe I'll pick up V and give it a go.

On a technical level, the game was truly glorious. I only wish they retained the classic rags to riches GTA feel. One thing that was annoyingly apparent was the lack of crime bosses. Aside from Martin Madsaso, who else was there? No one, and because of that, it never really felt like GTA to me, especially when I replayed GTA IV more recently.

The other major disappointment is utter lack of a single-player DLC expansion. I don't think Dan Houser could have given us a bigger "fuck you". He knows full well how much even a single expansion would mean to everyone, let alone the effort they put into the ones for GTA IV.

But like I said, technically this fuckin game is insane. It still blows my mind on PC with the GTA Redux mod. The only problem is that their updates keep breaking this one guy's script mod which sadly enough is the basis for every single kick ass mod out there to run off.

C806E475B6DEAB81237C30D68518A0EBD432D4AD

DFF09E5E3073E7155AD4FA3E0177AB6A5DAF202F

62228DA65AA108CD28FE6833D78E0471B6541799

92BCE6E1E3F1F3413C48D2B58E148D57C5DD30D7

5525A4967C1C02CCEC3435C65E733439D4E47A6D

EEECB29A81E3B28972D6A110B495C6BDAA215AAF

Another interesting question is where do they go from here? It's been 3 years and the longest Rockstar has gone between sequels was 5 years with GTA IV to GTA V (with EFLC in-between). That means they must already be working hard on the next game.

Personally, I'd like to see Liberty City again. Doing something completely different like going back to England or making it in China/Japan wouldn't work well imo for a full game.

It's a great game. The only game I can think of that made the story like a television show. Which worked incredibly well. They also improved shooting mechanics greatly from older games. The driving was fun as well and imo improved over gta 4. Then add on online with a ton of features and you've got yourself a blockbuster. Still imo the best ps4 out. Its the number 1 game I've played for the ps4.
Alan Wake was done like a TV series too.

GTA5 was great, though I never finished it, or touched the MP.

I really enjoyed GTA4 for the single player (online was ok) but the story for single player was fun and interesting to see play out. 5 I was never able to get into.

Interesting, I thought 4 was the weakest out of the series. A step back from 3 by stripping away all the customizations. 5 was a return to form imo.

Any rumors on GTA 6?

Interesting, I thought 4 was the weakest out of the series. A step back from 3 by stripping away all the customizations. 5 was a return to form imo.

Pretty much. Although, GTAIV had some DLC that eventually brought back a lot of the stuff that was missing from the main game. I sometimes wonder if they held back, simply because of the extra episodes they had planned. TBOGT was pretty damn robust, compared to the main game.

But yeah, GTA IV in general was basically a reset. I'm still a bit shocked it was received as well as it was, coming off of the insane level of freedom and game play options that GTA:SA offered. I guess people were just wowed by the new physics and graphics, and liked the story a lot, because game play wise, it was pretty bare, and even some of the basic stuff was awful. For instance, driving in GTA IV was a friggin' nightmare.

GTA V was a nice return to form.

I bought it on PS3 & PS4, even bought some in-game cash with Playstation gift cards. Played the hell out of that game... Me and my buddy used to joke that we knew Los Santos like a rat.

I never bought it myself, but I played it quite a bit on my brothers pc. Online experience was incredible. Just amazing stuff. Can't wait for the next Red Dead. Rockstar is one of the few dev teams to make flawless games after decades

That's fucking insane. Never got into it (kinda burnt out on GTA) but still love Rockstar and am looking forward to a new Red Dead.

Back