GSP's wrestling vs Khabib's wrestling

My friend (legit welterweight, 90+ kilos) sparred GSP in the Tristar earlier this year. His words were: "GSP is so fucking strong."

GSP manhandles Khabib easily.
So? Many people who trains with Khabib also says that Khabib is as strong as a heavyweight. Plus GSP is old as fuck right now, prime GSP could've beat Khabib but current GSP can't compete with Khabib.

So? Many people who trains with Khabib also says that Khabib is as strong as a heavyweight. Plus GSP is old as fuck right now, prime GSP could've beat Khabib but current GSP can't compete with Khabib.
GSP unretired to beat a 6’0” 200 pounder MW champion in Bisping

He’d outstrike Habib then outwrestle him in 4 and 5 once he mindfucced the lifelong wrestler

Few seconds in... GSP power double. Down it goes.

GSP in his prime is about the worse fight Khabib could take. Now I'm not sure how it would go.

GSP might the only person that could cancel out Khabib's wrestling. GSP has the better pure wrestling, but Khabib has a better arsenal of takedowns he can use.

GSP's entries are so much better than Khabib's.

Khabib is better from the clinch.

GSP's timing on ducking under punches and hitting take downs is incredible. I've listened to Rogan, Chael, and others talk about how stupendously good GSP's timing on this stuff was. He basically waits for you to throw a punch or a kick, avoids the strike, and hits the take down. People always say Georges has a sick power double, which he does, but its his timing that is next level.

g3_medium_medium.gif

MaleIgnorantGar.gif

GSPTakedown.gif

giphy.gif

This is one of my favorite take downs I've ever seen GSP complete. I wish I could find a better angle. Hendricks throws a power right shot and Georges smoothly ducks under it to hit the take down.

takedown-vs-hendricks.gif

My friend (legit welterweight, 90+ kilos) sparred GSP in the Tristar earlier this year. His words were: "GSP is so fucking strong."

Gsp is past prime. Khabib is prime. Old gsp,drained at 155 wouldn’t beat khabib..

Khabib's wrestling is bred together with Sambo/Judo.

really cool to see the techniques and style Khabib brings to MMA. i think DC said something about how if Khabib doesn't get you down on technique 2 or 3, he can just go up and up to 5,6, 7, whatever...has lots of tools in the toolbox

everyone’s talking about GSP and Khabib’s wrestling but sleeping on Thiago Santos. If he can cut the weight he can beat both

How do you compare and contrast their respective wrestling styles? What do they do similarly, what do they do differently, what does one do better than the other?

GSP's style is based on technique and timing. Khabib is just relentless and incredibly mentally tough. People saying GSP beats him easily are a stretching it a little.

They are about as opponent as it can possibly get while still both being dominan wrestlers

I think everything has been said already here about their wrestling.

I'll just talk little bit about how they match-up. If they ever fight @ 165, or 170, it's Khabib's fight to lose IMO. He is in his prime and he is fast, incredible technique on the ground, better than GSP and the most important is that he has more cardio than GSP. GSP was so dominant in large parts because he combined insane athleticism with equally amazing cardio. How many uber strong and powerful athletes you can name (in the GSP era) that can wrestle for 5 rounds? Name one that is not GSP. He can't do it now, 100% I am sure he don't have the gas like before, and I am not sure his striking style can exploit the holes in Khabib's stand-up. I think Khabib is gonna outwork him and maybe exhaust him to the point where he can knock him out... Sadly, we won't see this fight happening.

Gsp is past prime. Khabib is prime. Old gsp,drained at 155 wouldn’t beat khabib..

Even in his rapidly aging post knee surgery condition, GSP still has the most well rounded skill set in history. I would be shocked if he wasn't favored to win, even against Khabib. He's currently on a 13 fight win streak, 11 of which were title fight wins.

Chael, who is much larger than GSP has said multiple times that when he trained with GSP he couldn't believe how strong he was. Basically Georges nullifies most if not all of Khabib's advantages. He's just as strong, has insane cardio, has more experience in big fights/ 5 round fights, has sick wrestling and take down defense, and has one of the best jab games in the sport. The worst mistake Khabib could ever make is to think a fight with GSP would be a good idea.

GSP unretired to beat a 6’0” 200 pounder MW champion in Bisping

He’d outstrike Habib then outwrestle him in 4 and 5 once he mindfucced the lifelong wrestler

Its really a testament to how good GSP was in his prime that even in his aging state he still probably handles the undefeated Khabib. His skill set is too broad and he's extremely cerebral when it comes to not making mistakes during fights. GSP's fight I.Q. is a 10/10.

GSP's timing on ducking under punches and hitting take downs is incredible. I've listened to Rogan, Chael, and others talk about how stupendously good GSP's timing on this stuff was. He basically waits for you to throw a punch or a kick, avoids the strike, and hits the take down. People always say Georges has a sick power double, which he does, but its his timing that is next level.

g3_medium_medium.gif

MaleIgnorantGar.gif

GSPTakedown.gif

giphy.gif

This is one of my favorite take downs I've ever seen GSP complete. I wish I could find a better angle. Hendricks throws a power right shot and Georges smoothly ducks under it to hit the take down.

takedown-vs-hendricks.gif

"Smoothly ducks"

I was going to say, GSP has the smoothest wrestling I've ever seen in MMA.
Timing is a huge part of that, for sure.

I think despite being older ... IF its not at 155lbs, I would favor GSP.

At 155lbs, I think GSP would lose at lot of his strength advantage and it might even hurt his cardio more thus I would favor Khabib at 155lbs.

Gsp:
Tradiotional folk style wrestling
Better at takedowns than Khabibs
Explosive power doubles, sometimes singles
Good control on the ground, decent ground and pound

Khabib:
Better overall wrestling than GSP
Great Clinch
Great mix of Judo and Sambo takedowns, trips, throws
Better ground control than GSP
Better ground n pound
Initially might fail to takedown, but with such great chainwrestling will eventually get it

Back