GSP was just fantastic at JRE

I was impressed by his performance.

Turned it off about half way in

<Fedor23>

Disappointing after hearing so many praise it.

So you would say that you were impressed by his performance?

He's actually been on the JRE before. I think this was his second or third time on the podcast.

He's actually been on the JRE before. I think this was his second or third time on the podcast.
No doubt they also must be cool shows but this version of him is just another level mentally

I'll watch it later. Did GSP give Rogan 3 hrs of his time? I don't think GSP ever gave Ariel Helwani more than 1 hr or so.

Anderson Silva, Brock, Ronda (until the Holly fight) were also big draws who were not douchebags

Anderson could be a huge D-bag at times (Maia fight)

Brock? I actually liked him, but seriously?

And Ronda was always a bitch. Even going back to her SF days when she was always trashing GSP for no reason

Definitely worth the 3 hr listen. Laughed several times. They covered various topics. My takeaways:

GSP is clearly one of the greatest thinkers in the history of MMA. When he talks about the business side and fighters being used as pawns and Dana taking advantage of their egos to manipulate them into short notice fights etc., I always think about Chuck, Conduit, Cerrone who took a lot of damage and might not necessarily be as financially stable as they'd like to be, but have the anytime anywhere tuf guy image. He does get turned on and excited when someone says he'll never do something, but has self control to not make dumb career decisions then later says he believes there's no free will because every action was a result of something.

Says he shouldn't have put on extra weight for MW and should have just stayed the same and not cut weight because the body has an optimal weight and he wasn't able to put back weight after the weight cut for Bisping. He isn't completely recovered from his stomach issues and wants to be more recovered before he does a training camp and the stress comes back.

Doesn't believe in belts and thinks it should just be super fights because the strongest man doesn't exist because it's just the guy who won on a particular day and time who could beat the top guy but lose to the in between guys.

Firas sometimes offers money and public praise to any sparring partner who can KO or hurt GSP because he's crazy. GSP calls Firas Emperor Pai Mei (Uma Thurman's sensei in Kill Bill?).

He said when he was young and dumb in Denver helping Nate Marquardt get ready, he sparred one round w/Shane Carwin and luckily didn't get hurt, and with Duane Ludwig. He saw Carwin hammerfist KO someone from guard. I think he said he sparred with Jon Jones too because they all rotate.

Among the few fighters he likes to watch: Tito Ortiz, Conor McGregor, DJ, TJ, Chael, Dom Cruz, Jon Jones, Yair Rodriguez, bad guys. He'd pay for front row ticket to watch DJ vs TJ.

He said if he was same weight as DJ/TJ, they'd kick his butt. He practices DJ's Ray Borg slam armbar.

He no longer has a meal w/family before his fight because they care about him and stare at him while eating asking if he's ok or sick. He now surrounds himself with warlike guys like Firas, Danaher before he goes to war to help him get into the right mindset.

When prepping for BJ, he and his team noted BJ had the best reaction time but bad reset time, so he had to tire BJ before getting him.

A fighter needs a pyramid of conditioning at the bottom, then technical, then tactical at the top. Skill w/o confidence is like having money and not spending it. Confidence w/o skill is dreaming dreams that will never come true. Some of his sparring partners are beasts in the gym, but suck in actual fight because the pressure crushes them. Some guys suck in training, but surprise him during actual fight by doing some impressive technique he didn't know they had.

He plays mind games with himself like driving around before his fight and looking at ordinary people on the street saying that old lady w/her groceries doesn't care if he loses, two guys arguing don't care if he loses. Before his walkout, people think he's taking a piss, but he's actually talking to himself in the mirror building confidence.

Before the Serra TKO loss was the only time he was able to sleep before fight day.

He didn't look emaciated, but looked like he did in his early UFC days. Said the fasting and time restricted eating benefited him a lot and isn't a treatment that is sold/monetized like drugs. He said he's the same weight but lower fat and denser muscle. Does some old Russian pool resistance training.

Idolizes Rogan's spinning back kick that had the force he's never seen a human being dish out. Rogan said his TKD teacher was old school who emphasized power for actual self defense rather than Olympic kick slapping that do no damage. It was Danaher who asked Rogan to sharpen GSP's spinning back kick in the old Eddie Bravo video.

Doesn't want to use his remaining fights to do same old shit, but wants opponents who will excite him where he will have a chance to do something great no one's ever done. He thinks Khabib needs to fight Conor first. Wants to fight someone who everyone thinks he can't beat who's undefeated and looking unstoppable. Wants LW belt.

Thinks Kevin Lee will be great.

Thinks future fighters with all sorts of high tech PEDs will be superhuman especially w/stuff that improves reaction time and he won't be able to compete with these Cee-borgs. Thinks even now it's easy to cheat by saying he's traveling somewhere remote where test collector likely won't follow and people could take something with low detection window but long benefit window.

Thinks he can make 155, but won't do a test weight cut due to health wear and tear from cutting weight or something like that.

He praises strategists Firas and John Danaher who he is undefeated with, and Freddie Roach, but I noticed he hasn't really said anything about Greg Jackson in a long time. I wonder what happened.

He respects people who have a "code" and stand by their principles.

Last edited:
Anderson could be a huge D-bag at times (Maia fight)

Brock? I actually liked him, but seriously?

And Ronda was always a bitch. Even going back to her SF days when she was always trashing GSP for no reason

Anderson would do his antics when fighting but he was always respectful after the fight. Ronda was the biggest bitch in mma. A horrible person both when winning and losing

GSP is a genuinely good dude. And yes, the greatest of all time.

I know I am late to the party but thats the1st time I watched JRE and if you havent seen it please watch it..A lot of cool info and GSP is unbelievably smart...Again if you are a MMA fan(probably you are if you re hanging on sherdog) watch that show...

How could you not like GSP? What a lovable dude. For real.. he is a nice guy, very dangerous skills, but he would never cause one issue with your average guy, if anything he would back off while they feel all high and mighty even though he would destroy them.. He is an intelligent, adaptable guy, open to alot of info in life. That is how a real champion behaves.

How could you not like GSP? What a lovable dude. For real.. he is a nice guy, very dangerous skills, but he would never cause one issue with your average guy, if anything he would back off while they feel all high and mighty even though he would destroy them.. He is an intelligent, adaptable guy, open to alot of info in life. That is how a real champion behaves.

P.S Imagine GSP vs Till tonight, GSP would have destroyed Till and i won money on Till. I got pretty lucky, expected more from Till vs Wonder, but Wonder good defense.

It wasn’t that great, better than the Robin Black episode.

Definitely worth the 3 hr listen. Laughed several times. They covered various topics. My takeaways:

GSP is clearly one of the greatest thinkers in the history of MMA. When he talks about the business side and fighters being used as pawns and Dana taking advantage of their egos to manipulate them into short notice fights etc., I always think about Chuck, Conduit, Cerrone who took a lot of damage and might not necessarily be as financially stable as they'd like to be, but have the anytime anywhere tuf guy image. He does get turned on and excited when someone says he'll never do something, but has self control to not make dumb career decisions then later says he believes there's no free will because every action was a result of something.

Says he shouldn't have put on extra weight for MW and should have just stayed the same and not cut weight because the body has an optimal weight and he wasn't able to put back weight after the weight cut for Bisping. He isn't completely recovered from his stomach issues and wants to be more recovered before he does a training camp and the stress comes back.

Doesn't believe in belts and thinks it should just be super fights because the strongest man doesn't exist because it's just the guy who won on a particular day and time who could beat the top guy but lose to the in between guys.

Firas sometimes offers money and public praise to any sparring partner who can KO or hurt GSP because he's crazy. GSP calls Firas Emperor Pai Mei (Uma Thurman's sensei in Kill Bill?).

He said when he was young and dumb in Denver helping Nate Marquardt get ready, he sparred one round w/Shane Carwin and luckily didn't get hurt, and with Duane Ludwig. He saw Carwin hammerfist KO someone from guard. I think he said he sparred with Jon Jones too because they all rotate.

Among the few fighters he likes to watch: Tito Ortiz, Conor McGregor, DJ, TJ, Chael, Dom Cruz, Jon Jones, Yair Rodriguez, bad guys. He'd pay for front row ticket to watch DJ vs TJ.

He said if he was same weight as DJ/TJ, they'd kick his butt. He practices DJ's Ray Borg slam armbar.

He no longer has a meal w/family before his fight because they care about him and stare at him while eating asking if he's ok or sick. He now surrounds himself with warlike guys like Firas, Danaher before he goes to war to help him get into the right mindset.

When prepping for BJ, he and his team noted BJ had the best reaction time but bad reset time, so he had to tire BJ before getting him.

A fighter needs a pyramid of conditioning at the bottom, then technical, then tactical at the top. Skill w/o confidence is like having money and not spending it. Confidence w/o skill is dreaming dreams that will never come true. Some of his sparring partners are beasts in the gym, but suck in actual fight because the pressure crushes them. Some guys suck in training, but surprise him during actual fight by doing some impressive technique he didn't know they had.

He plays mind games with himself like driving around before his fight and looking at ordinary people on the street saying that old lady w/her groceries doesn't care if he loses, two guys arguing don't care if he loses. Before his walkout, people think he's taking a piss, but he's actually talking to himself in the mirror building confidence.

Before the Serra TKO loss was the only time he was able to sleep before fight day.

He didn't look emaciated, but looked like he did in his early UFC days. Said the fasting and time restricted eating benefited him a lot and isn't a treatment that is sold/monetized like drugs. He said he's the same weight but lower fat and denser muscle. Does some old Russian pool resistance training.

Idolizes Rogan's spinning back kick that had the force he's never seen a human being dish out. Rogan said his TKD teacher was old school who emphasized power for actual self defense rather than Olympic kick slapping that do no damage. It was Danaher who asked Rogan to sharpen GSP's spinning back kick in the old Eddie Bravo video.

Doesn't want to use his remaining fights to do same old shit, but wants opponents who will excite him where he will have a chance to do something great no one's ever done. He thinks Khabib needs to fight Conor first. Wants to fight someone who everyone thinks he can't beat who's undefeated and looking unstoppable. Wants LW belt.

Thinks Kevin Lee will be great.

Thinks future fighters with all sorts of high tech PEDs will be superhuman especially w/stuff that improves reaction time and he won't be able to compete with these Cee-borgs. Thinks even now it's easy to cheat by saying he's traveling somewhere remote where test collector likely won't follow and people could take something with low detection window but long benefit window.

Thinks he can make 155, but won't do a test weight cut due to health wear and tear from cutting weight or something like that.

He praises strategists Firas and John Danaher who he is undefeated with, and Freddie Roach, but I noticed he hasn't really said anything about Greg Jackson in a long time. I wonder what happened.

He respects people who have a "code" and stand by their principles.
wow ty brother

GSP is living proof that you don’t have to act like a douchebag to make it in MMA.

Douchebags are born, not made.

Any act of selling the fight by being an ass, playing the heel
=
Douchebag

It was his second time, but Georges was only in for a quick interview the first time, and much more guarded. This was 3x as long an interview, and Georges seems more comfortable in his own skin than ever before, and confident to really express what he's thinking.

JRE is a national treasure for MMA fans, we're getting three hour, uninterrupted, open format discussions with marquee fighters and its really something special.

Georges was an excellent guest this time and it was fun and interesting to get so close to one of the greatest to ever do it.

Back