GSP vs Woodley

Brandon Dukes

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I was reading an ESPN article from last week & they were discussing what GSP should do next. One of the writers mentioned that Woodley had put himself in the greatest welter weight of all time discussion. Just wondering what you guys think about that. I honestly just don't see it at all. GSP was rarely ever tested & made it look easy. Woodley looked incredible beating Lawler & Till but I still don't the he's in the WW Goat mix yet. I'd say GSP, Hughes, Woodley.

Woodley needs to defend several times more before he is in gsp conversation

Woodley will get beat by Colby and will end this talk. GSP would as well I think even old as he is.

Yeah but credit where it's due - Woodley is doing great even with USADA.
Credit for fighting everyone they put in front of him but lets be real. Tompson terriifed to get hit and no ground game twice, 94 yr old Maia, Till who somehow dodged all wrestlers (conor treatment) and got wrecked as expected. He's not fighting best fighters.

I honestly just don't see it at all. GSP was rarely ever tested & made it look easy.
Just to test your argument, how would you recognize whether he "was tested" and passed the test, or that he wasn't tested? If you just use your hindsight, and declare that only way to "be tested" is to lose, it's not a meaningful concept.

Credit for fighting everyone they put in front of him but lets be real. Tompson terriifed to get hit and no ground game twice, 94 yr old Maia, Till who somehow dodged all wrestlers (conor treatment) and got wrecked as expected. He's not fighting best fighters.

Who from GSP's run do you think he would have lost to?

Who from GSP's run do you think he would have lost to?
Fitch, Hughes and Tyron did lose to sheilds. Basicaly anyone competent on the ground with a gas tank that doesnt get caught. I wont deny Tyron is very very good but he's beatable in those two area.

Fitch, Hughes and Tyron did lose to sheilds. Basicaly anyone competent on the ground with a gas tank that doesnt get caught. I wont deny Tyron is very very good but he's beatable in those two area.

Hughes? No way. His skill set is antiquated.
And Fitch - maybe in his prime, maybe.

I like GSP, but actions speak.

He is fighting at every weight class except for his natural one.

Woodley would bury GSP. He is way better than Hendricks who beat GSP up
GSP is much older and worse now than when he lost to Hendricks.

GSP knows this which is why he doesn't want the fight.

As far as WW GOAT it's GSP and it's not really close.

It depends on what one means by 'greatest'.

The question "who would win a fight between the two in their primes or now" is an open one. I tend to think GSP, though Woodley is pretty much the most difficult match up for him, stylistically. But this is open to debate and there is no clear answer.

The question "who has the greatest resume overall" is GSP, by a mile, and without any question. In fact, Woodley is behind Hughes in this regard.

Woodley is not close to WW GOAT yet. GSP and Hughes are 1 and 2.

But lets be honest, who is Woodley supposed to fight? Even in this thread you see people discrediting his wins. What wins could be added that would put him in that discussion? Yes a big number of title defenses but if its against "cans" it wont matter.
So if Woodley wants to be GOAT WW he HAS to beat GSP. Only problem is GSP will take any fight except Woodley.

Woodley NEEDS this fight. GSP doesnt.
It would also be the hardest fight for GSP and certainly not the biggest reward.
He can go down and pick on a smaller Khabib and get a third belt or pick on a smaller Mcgregor and get a huge payday.
Those are the smart choices.

With that being said IF GSP takes this fight, comes back at his age and beats the reigning, undisputed WW champ ....well i think that solidifies him as THE GOAT.

Think about it, Fedor will always be in discussion but he fought too long and added some losses. Jon Jones and Silva have steroids.
So GSP would be the only GOAT in discussion that has zero losses he didnt avenge and a double champ to go with it.
Then he could go down and fight Khabib for the ultimate super fight.

Of course none of that will happen. He will probably fight Mcgregor, make some money and retire again.

It depends on what one means by 'greatest'.

The question "who would win a fight between the two in their primes or now" is an open one. I tend to think GSP, though Woodley is pretty much the most difficult match up for him, stylistically. But this is open to debate and there is no clear answer.

The question "who has the greatest resume overall" is GSP, by a mile, and without any question. In fact, Woodley is behind Hughes in this regard.

I agree completely. I do think a fight between the two would be close but I still lean toward GSP. Woodley packs dynamite & is a solid grappler but with that said he lost to Shields & Rory. It does seem he has trouble with really good grapplers he can't just ko.

not even close in my opinion, woodley's too strong for GSP

I was reading an ESPN article from last week & they were discussing what GSP should do next. One of the writers mentioned that Woodley had put himself in the greatest welter weight of all time discussion. Just wondering what you guys think about that. I honestly just don't see it at all. GSP was rarely ever tested & made it look easy. Woodley looked incredible beating Lawler & Till but I still don't the he's in the WW Goat mix yet. I'd say GSP, Hughes, Woodley.
Not this shit again..

Of all the fights available for Georges this one interests me the most.

The Chosen One vs The Choosy One... This fight needs to happen.

Back