GSP vs BISPING UFC 217 BREAKDOWN - Invisible Breakdown

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Invisible Jiu Jitsu, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Invisible Jiu Jitsu Yellow Belt

Invisible Jiu Jitsu
    kjg1672 and winterbike like this.
  2. rmongler Brown Belt

rmongler
    I think those post->elbows bingbong busted out really threw GSP for a loop; such that he ended up willingly abandoning a position he has used as a comfort zone for pretty much his entire fight career, until then.

At that point that i started thinking this was the beginning of the end for georgie-boy, but the guy has the instincts of a champion and he found a way to adjust fire and pull a win out of his ass anyways.

It goes to show i figure that many fighters, even at the highest levels, don't really prepare or gameplan or spend time specifically on attacking closed guard. Maybe the subterranean assumption is that you just have to get there and you'll be winning, which indeed is often true enough to one degree or another, but it means that A: you're passing up a dominant method of convincingly demolishing your opponent that is pretty much unique to mma, and B: there's always a chance you'll run into a guy who is focusing on the other side of the equation, like here, and not knowing how to put that balance into your favor and dominate anyways will throw a definite cramp into a strategy based on that.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Coconutwater likes this.
  3. Invisible Jiu Jitsu Yellow Belt

Invisible Jiu Jitsu
    interesting points!

4. Invisible Jiu Jitsu Yellow Belt

Invisible Jiu Jitsu