GSP take down and grappling techniques?

Yeah thats pretty much it except he was pretty soon taking those olympic level wrestlers down (even the HWs). He would go to Ennzo's against the best black belts in Gi, etc. etc. I am with you on the W/J, my weakest link and while I am willing to learn, I am not sure my body would like it. I am going to stick with getting my BJJ top notch to be on par with my striking, then see where it goes. I should be well rounded by the time im 60. :)
But never ignore the struggle he went through and that he was willing to lose. "Soon" is relative lol

Mighty Mouse only wrestled in high school. Cruz too. Mcgregor was an amateur boxer at best. I think Stipe was golden gloves but that's not a deep specialty. Max Holloway only had amateur kickboxing fights. Garbrandt was an amateur boxer. Aldo was a bjj blackbelt but he doesn't use it. Whittaker and Bisping don't have any formal bases really. Whittaker karate and Bisping boxing. Rory has no base.

Jon jones was really good at wrestling, obviously Cormier took it farther. Tj and woodley wrestled in college. Joanna Jedrzejczyk was a Muay Thai champion.

That rounds out the ~top 15. You should have a base. But you don't need to take it ultra far...

Last edited:
Mighty Mouse only wrestled in high school. Cruz too. Mcgregor was an amateur boxer at best. I think Stipe was golden gloves but that's not a deep specialty. Max Holloway only had amateur kickboxing fights. Garbrandt was an amateur boxer. Aldo was a bjj blackbelt but he doesn't use it. Whittaker and Bisping don't have any formal bases really. Whittaker karate and Bisping boxing. Rory has no base.

Jon jones was really good at wrestling, obviously Cormier took it farther. Tj and woodley wrestled in college. Joanna Jedrzejczyk was a Muay Thai champion.

That rounds out the ~top 15. You should have a base. But you don't need to take it ultra far...
While there are several fallacies in this, I think you are missing the point. In addition i have point out that..

1. Stipe was a solid high school wrestler in the toughest area of one of the best states in the country for wrestling. An area so tough that kids who don't make it out of districts to get to state stomp state champs and placers in a majority of other states. He also wrestled in DI for a year or two in college. His wrestling both shot wise and "folk meta" wise is a big part of his game (see the hunt fight)
  2. Garbrandt was an Ohio state champion in a stacked weight class as a sophomore. He didn't finish high school wrestling because of grades but the caliber of training and several years of relatively high level wrestling were there in addition to the boxing. And I have it from coaches from that area that I trust who can speak to his wrestling pedigree and background
  3. I'm saying that mainly because a lot of people don't realize those two had a deeper background in wrestling than what's usually talked about
And you're missing the point. Obviously MMA is it's own sport. But we are specifically talking about gaining proficiency in an art a fighter did not originate from. Especially as it relates to wrestling.

More specifically when discussions about wrestling in mma come up. I have seen repeated examples from a variety of sources, especially on bjj forums "you don't need to go to a traditional wrestling practice or coach, just train ''mma wrestling' at your mma gym. Look at GSP, he didn't come from a traditional wrestling background". (Or Maia)Which completely ignores the fact he (and Maia)didn't get that good at wrestling by just doing "mma class".. they actually went to wrestling classes and wrestling coaches and dealt with taking their lumps at first to get better. THEN they brought it back and incorporated it it all into their mma game. GSP also did it for boxing

You never see the same level of that attitude when it comes to striking or bjj

Back