GSP should take a "tune up" fight or 2 before he fights top competition

would be good to see him fight a random nobody who isn't even top 30. maybe that perry guy?

GSP is arguably the greatest champion in MMA history; he has earned at least one tune up fight before he challenges for the title; I don't know why people disagree me on that?

Give him a big name that is an easy win for a tune up. Someone like Nate Diaz

GSP is arguably the greatest champion in MMA history; he has earned at least one tune up fight before he challenges for the title; I don't know why people disagree me on that?

He doesn't want a tune up fight, he wants the money and the power and the women.

Good idea. Maybe Conor and Bisping before fighting real contenders.

Fighting a tune-up fight is bad for business. It would not be a money fight and what if GSP were to lose the tune-up? Anything can happen in MMA with very little padding in those gloves and the many different weapons of attack available in MMA. Conor skipped the line at 155 even after splitting with Nate Diaz which included a submission loss in the first fight and he got an immediate rematch which he won by decision. Conor was a money fight and the UFC ignored his recent horrible loss to Nate and the UFC ignored the half dozen more worthy LW's who had better credentials for a LW title fight. GSP probably has only 1, 2 or 3 fights left depending on whether he wins or not. Not going to waste one of those on a meaningless tune-up vs. a big money fight for a belt. IMO they want GSP to beat Bisping and then fight for the belt at 170 or 155 and give up the 185 belt so Romero gets to wear the belt or who ever comes out on top after 185 goes back to business as usual.

like the title says.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHELLLLLLLLLLLNO

This................. Title shot from get go... Thats what this is about... and $$$$$$ to take a tuneup shot is STOOOOOOOOOPID. Should He...?? lol..... says who the fuk who? He is too smart for that other shit. Unless there is ma$$ive $$

like I said it's based on common knowledge of ring rust. I'm not saying he couldn't beat anyone, but he needs a tune up fight if he wants to be at his best.

Edit: If GSP had to fight today with no training camp, he'd be great. But he would not be as good as GSP can be. The same as asking him to fight his first first fight back after years off; that's not his best.
Dominick Cruz took 3 years off and was a monster when he came back. Floyd Mayweather took 2 years off before dismantling Marquez. Ring Rust is subjective. Not everyone takes a bunch of time off then comes back to be a punching bag like Rousey.

GSP has lost in the past and has shown that he knows how to re-group and come back, as well as the fact he always has a great game plan. Trust that he and his trainers know what they're doing.

GOATs don't take tune up fights.
Anything can happen in MMA, so the idea of a tune up fight is silly. Serra almost killed GSP and Bisping is the MW champ. GSP isn't rolling off the couch after a couple of beers, he's a professional. He will be ready.

No, this is a huge $$$ fight for him and UFC, nothing to gain from a tune up fight, a lot to lose. GSP is just coming back for a few huge paydays

he won't, he is coming back for the money

if he takes a tune up fight and loses thats lots of potential money gone

He'll only take a fighter that's only hype or/and is washed out, so no need.

Smart money is on Bisping, that's all of the above.

like the title says.
I think the same. Ring rust is real thing, you don't have to be a trainer to understand it. GSP was slowing down before he quit, personally I think he lost to Johny Hendricks. After 3 years laid-off he will most certainly struggle in the ring versus active fighters. There so much examples: Jone Jones vs OSP, Tito vs Chael Sonnen, B.J. Penn vs Yair Rodriguez. People are delusional to think that we will see "best" GSP on come back fight.

Last edited:
Dominick Cruz took 3 years off and was a monster when he came back. Floyd Mayweather took 2 years off before dismantling Marquez. Ring Rust is subjective. Not everyone takes a bunch of time off then comes back to be a punching bag like Rousey.

GSP has lost in the past and has shown that he knows how to re-group and come back, as well as the fact he always has a great game plan. Trust that he and his trainers know what they're doing.
Cruz did have a warm up fight after his 3 year lay off. He fought a good not great fighter.

new owners needs money, and that is in GSP doing big fights, not tune up fights.

Back