GSP on not fighting T-Wood: "t’s not that I’m scared, actually, I’m always scared when I go fight."

GSP is a pretty practical guy. If he waits around, there's a (small) chance that he could fight Colby for the belt instead, which would be a much more favourable match-up. Also, he's made it fairly clear that it's the LW title shot he's more interested in, and knowing the UFC, there's a good chance he'll get it.

Winning another WW belt does nothing for his legacy. Like everyone else in here has said, he has enough of those. Georges ran that division longer than any other WW before or after him. He beat all the top guys in the WW division, all the challengers, all the wannabes. Woodley has not defend half as much as him, he's not a draw at all, and there are other WWs, aka Matt Hughes, that have done more for the division than Woodley. If Woodley hadn't called for Georges 10 minutes after winning the belt and went about his business and put on some good title defences, maybe he'd be someone to think about, but you can't cry for money fights and then call racism in the same minute because the newly crowned champ thinks he's worth more than his 250K at best PPV buys.
I completely disagree. It would do a lot for his legacy, it's just not a fight hes going to win so blah blah blah here some reasons it doesn't matter.

All that Bisping legacy and no Woodley legacy?

George's, the point is your legacy, ya alien abducted dope. The point is can you come back and beat the current champ, not what legacy the champ has.

Clearly wasnt the case with Ping
lol dude, Bisping's legacy >>>> Woodley's.

He is/was 10x more known than Tyron Woodley....

It does little for his legacy unless Tyron wins a few more and doesn't have them be questionable/awful fights.. If you think otherwise, you overrate how good Woodley's resume is.

Winning another WW belt does nothing for his legacy. Like everyone else in here has said, he has enough of those. Georges ran that division longer than any other WW before or after him. He beat all the top guys in the WW division, all the challengers, all the wannabes. Woodley has not defend half as much as him, he's not a draw at all, and there are other WWs, aka Matt Hughes, that have done more for the division than Woodley. If Woodley hadn't called for Georges 10 minutes after winning the belt and went about his business and put on some good title defences, maybe he'd be someone to think about, but you can't cry for money fights and then call racism in the same minute because the newly crowned champ thinks he's worth more than his 250K at best PPV buys.
But you’re wrong.

Khabib has a bigger legacy than Woodley? Lmao...khabibs accomplishments are so overstated it’s cringey

Beating khabib = 3rd belt AKA first fighter to ever do it would be GSP. use your brain, im sure you have one somewhere in that head.

lol dude, Bisping's legacy >>>> Woodley's.

He is/was 10x more known than Tyron Woodley....

It does little for his legacy unless Tyron wins a few more and doesn't have them be questionable/awful fights.. If you think otherwise, you overrate how good Woodley's resume is.
Popularity and legacy are two different things. Ping had one successful defense, Woodley has had 4.

Popularity and legacy are two different things. Ping had one successful defense, Woodley has had 4.

they intersect heavily. Most people will consider mike tyson or Ali the best boxers ever. That is their legacy. and it's mostly due to their popularity.

And yet, he is 1 100th as known as Bisping.

Popularity goes to Bisping
Legacy goes to Bisping (for now)

Woodley hasn't done enough yet. It's simple. Just defending your belt a few times with only 2 of the defenses not being controversial is not enough.

Winning the MW belt or beat a guy with 3 title defenses in which 2 were arguable in the weight class you already cemented yourself as the greatest in?

Yeah, tough call on that one.....

Shields and Fitch were both also really underrated contenders.
absolutely. they are both phenomenal fighters and would be top 5 if they were in their primes. Actually Fitch would still be top 4 now. he would be on par with usman and Colby and could actually beat till imo. They are both terribly underrated. 2 world class fighters without a doubt. Tyron right now obviously would beat any version of shields or Fitch but that doesn't mean those 2 aren't great fighters. would love to see Fitch vs Colby or usman. wonder who takes that.

they intersect heavily. Most people will consider mike tyson or Ali the best boxers ever. That is their legacy. and it's mostly due to their popularity.
While they do intersect they are not dependent on each other and please do not mention Ali and Tyson in the same sentence as Bisping.

Ive said it before and ill say it here. GSP is looking to be the first triple champ. That would cement him further in history and make him a lock for GOAT .
AFTER he wins that third belt i think he will either retire or fight Woodley to try and retire with the WW strap again and as a triple champ. That would be the ultimate ender for his legacy.

And yet, he is 1 100th as known as Bisping.

Popularity goes to Bisping
Legacy goes to Bisping (for now)

Woodley hasn't done enough yet. It's simple. Just defending your belt a few times with only 2 of the defenses not being controversial is not enough.

Winning the MW belt or beat a guy with 3 title defenses in which 2 were arguable in the weight class you already cemented yourself as the greatest in?

Yeah, tough call on that one.....
Looks like we dont agree with each other, bub.

Looks like we dont agree with each other, bub.
Ok, i'd love to know how you think being a 2 weight class champ is somehow worse than winning a belt for what, the 12th time in the weight class you're already considered he best in...

Beating khabib = 3rd belt AKA first fighter to ever do it would be GSP. use your brain, im sure you have one somewhere in that head.
And I suppose then dropping down to 145 to beat Holloway instead of fighting Woodley would, again, be a bigger accomplishment? Or fighting a legit 185 champ in Whittaker? No, no, the one dimensional 155 fighter in khabib would be a better mark on his legacy. Thanks for jogging your logic for me!

absolutely. they are both phenomenal fighters and would be top 5 if they were in their primes. Actually Fitch would still be top 4 now. he would be on par with usman and Colby and could actually beat till imo. They are both terribly underrated. 2 world class fighters without a doubt. Tyron right now obviously would beat any version of shields or Fitch but that doesn't mean those 2 aren't great fighters. would love to see Fitch vs Colby or usman. wonder who takes that.

I actually dont think T-WOOD would beat a prime shields. His gas tank is still terrible, which is why he limits his offense so much in his 5 round fights.

And I suppose then dropping down to 145 to beat Holloway instead of fighting Woodley would, again, be a bigger accomplishment? Or fighting a legit 185 champ in Whittaker? No, no, the one dimensional 155 fighter in khabib would be a better mark on his legacy. Thanks for jogging your logic for me!

considering he'd have to fight with only one leg to beat holloway, him doing that is actually more impressive than beating woodley.

GSP is 37 years old. His body has been through hell and he has nothing left to prove to anyone.

I have no idea why he's still fighting at all.

Ok, i'd love to know how you think being a 2 weight class champ is somehow worse than winning a belt for what, the 12th time in the weight class you're already considered he best in...
Go back and read my posts then

Back