GSP Officially No Longer Middleweight Champion - Vacates the Belt.

It's not the same. And Jacare and Romero are in and around 40. Every year they will be getting worse, not better.

Irrespective of whether, somehow, they manage to get a title shot, the reality is, they both already should have had one. They didn't because a WW decided to jump the queue for a cherry picked fight, when he had zero intention of ever staying in the division.
Jacare and Romero both lost to Whittaker though... Jacare lost to Whittaker the fight before Rob got the *interim* title shot and Romero lost to him in the Interim title fight. Why are we blaming GSP for this? Bisping had the chance to defend against the deserving 185ers but accepted the GSP fight, why is the challenger being blamed instead of the champ? He could have turned down that nonsense and fought a more deserving MW. Oh thats right, because Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Jacare and Romero both lost to Whittaker though... Jacare lost to Whittaker the fight before Rob got the *interim* title shot and Romero lost to him in the Interim title fight. Why are we blaming GSP for this? Bisping had the chance to defend against the deserving 185ers but accepted the GSP fight, why is the challenger being blamed instead of the champ? He could have turned down that nonsense and fought a more deserving MW. Oh thats right, because Cash Rules Everything Around Me
The division was held up because of all the time before this fight AND IN THAT TIME, LEGIT TITLE SHOTS EARNED BY FIGHTERS WERE LOST. Why are you being willfully obtuse?

And just like that, Everything is right with the MW division again. About goddamn time.

Can't wait to see the threads that Whittaker (Or Rockhold) isn't the real champion because they didn't beat GSP.

You are neglecting to state some of these fighters were repeatedly forced to fight non-title fights in the hopes it could be justified fucking them out of a title shot they already earned. If you don't care about fighters getting fucked over, so long as your favorite gets what he wants, admit it. This sports 'fans' are sociopathic as fuck.

That was because of bisping fighting Henderson and then being out injured.

That's good. The real champion is the real champion now, and the money middleweight belt is no longer. Glad this is all over. Not bashing GSP, the guy is the GOAT, but that shit was a joke, and I blame Bisping.

So I guess gsp’s contract said he had to defend or vacate. Gsp vs Bisping took forever to actually happen. It totally held up the division Bisping could have fought Romero and Whittaker in that time

The man had always been a class act.

The division was held up because of all the time before this fight AND IN THAT TIME, LEGIT TITLE SHOTS EARNED BY FIGHTERS WERE LOST. Why are you being willfully obtuse?
I'm just saying Romero got his title shot and Jacare lost to the current champ in his last fight. You're right that more deserving fighters lost a title shot because of how long it took to book bisping/GSP.. but if it wasn't rockhold, Romero, or Jacare who would you have liked to see fight for the title in the time Bisping was negotiating to fight GSP?

did the right thing

If you're not going to fight, don't hold up the division. Now we can get back to normalcy...

It's becoming more like boxing were titles are meaningless and just a prop now.

So in GSP's mind it's more honorable give the belt away than lose it in a fight? Why he decided to move up if there were no intention to stay and defend?

Can't wait to see the threads that Whittaker (Or Rockhold) isn't the real champion because they didn't beat GSP.

Uhm.....if that does happen, we can all agree the fact that most of the fans in this forum are retarded.

He issued his challenge in June of 2016. If GSP was simply interested in the MW title, he would have waited until mid 2017 to challenge the title holder. Instead, in collaboration with the UFC, the division was held hostage until he was ready to fight.

The Hendo fight wasn't an act of 'good will'. When has the UFC ever done that? The guy was #13, 46yr's old and on a big slide. They set up Hendo v Bisping, so that GSP had the perfect opponent to come back and fight.

If GSP was happy to fight whoever was the MW champ, Hendo would have never got the title shot.

I hope he survives his monumental uphill battle with IBS. lol. What's next, a fighter being sidelined with GERD?

Fucking pathetic, handpicked Bisping to his comeback and now will probably search some stupid money fight. What a disappointment.

At least he is not holding a weight class like the leprechaun tho.

Gsp is too old not to try and pick his fights wise

Is normal.

What's the contractual penalty then?

Back