GSP: MMA is a business & we are entertainers first (people need to understand)

In another thread last week, a member argues with me that GSP did not know how to sell his brand because he did not trash talk.
i explained you don't have to be Chael or Conor to be a smart businessman

This video he explains it in his own words.

Remember the exact definition of "sport" is ...

sport
spôrt/
noun
noun: sport; plural noun: sports
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

@LouisBolanos

Thank you for this, I'm bookmarking this thread for all future "MMA purist" motherfuckers who call me out when I talk about Conor's pay and PPV buys.

Thank you for this, I'm bookmarking this thread for all future "MMA purist" motherfuckers who call me out when I talk about Conor's pay and PPV buys.

That is why you received the "hot tag" my friend

@FrankieNYC

I'll probably lure them into using GSP as example of a "true sportsman for the purists" to counter my Conor and drama talk, then BTFO them with this thread. 90% of the time that's what they do, use GSP as example. Fucking brilliant thread!

<{jackyeah}>

This thread alone is entertaining.

GSP wins yet again.

Master tactician in and out of the cage, and now apparently on Sherdog as well.

@FrankieNYC

I'll probably lure them into using GSP as example of a "true sportsman for the purists" to counter my Conor and drama talk, then BTFO them with this thread. 90% of the time that's what they do, use GSP as example. Fucking brilliant thread!

<{jackyeah}>

ut-oh
@LouisBolanos going in for the set-up & kill lol

My point was GSP plays the game. people think just bc he doesn't "smack talk" that he doesn't promote or build his brand.
That is incorrect

There's also a huge amount of Americans in the UFC leading to split loyalties. How many Canadians did GSP fight?

American athletes abound almost in every sport. That’s why ultra-nationalism isn’t really necessary outside of The Olympics.

We aren’t desperate to latch onto sports success as a patriotic appendage extension like other countries.

one of THE most boring fighters in UFC history : "we're entertainers first"

GSP's most entertaining fights are when he's getting his ass kicked.

the guy is great and all, but he's boring. just like Floyd, there's no denying Floyd's greatness, but he sells fights with his mouth, not with his fists. GSP sells fights with his nationality and his winning record, not his entertaining fighting style.
People around here like to call him boring (mostly people who don't understand grappling very well, I suspect) but the *fact* of the matter is that GSP was an extremely popular fighter and people paid to see him fight. Period. The end. Call him boring all you want, but he did just fine with the entertainment aspect of MMA.

i'm a fan and i think it's not a sport, not anymore.

in sports, it doesn't matter how entertaining you are or how popular you are, all that matters is you WIN.

in MMA, this is not the case. and for me the biggest reason why is because the UFC unabashedly biased to certain fighters.

there is no other sport where certain teams or people get special treatment. you know why? because the integrity of the sport is more important than a single person or team. that's why the NFL give guys like Terrell Owens, Ray Rice, Plaxico Burress and a ton of other guys the boot to the curb.

these aren't nobody bench warmers, these are high level players that people know. and they still give them the boot.

BUT i also don't really care that it's not a sport anymore, because i'm from the PrideFC days and the only thing i really care about is quality fights.
Boxing? Kickboxing?

Fightsports and teamsports are two way different things. Soon as people get that,the better off we will all be,and maybe ppl stop crying so much.

P.s. pridefc was way more biased than ufc is now

ut-oh
@LouisBolanos going in for the set-up & kill lol

My point was GSP plays the game. people think just bc he doesn't "smack talk" that he doesn't promote or build his brand.
That is incorrect
His class is what makes him a draw,he stands out from these other....mendicants.
<DisgustingHHH>

His class is what makes him a draw,he stands out from these other....mendicants.
<DisgustingHHH>

I think I agree
I have to look up "mendicants" first though

BRB

Yes, I agree

<DisgustingHHH>
giphy.gif

Boxing? Kickboxing?

Fightsports and teamsports are two way different things. Soon as people get that,the better off we will all be,and maybe ppl stop crying so much.

P.s. pridefc was way more biased than ufc is now

nobody is crying. i already said i don't really care that it's not a sport, and of course PrideFC was more biased, like i said, THEY WEREN'T TRYING TO PRETEND TO BE A SPORT.

boxing isn't even like MMA. boxing has MANDATORY CHALLENGERS that title holders must face or vacate. there is no champions in boxing that can hold titles hostage like in MMA.

being a sport is easy to follow. that's why there is rankings and shit in REAL sports, because the REAL sports rankings MATTER. not so in MMA.

People around here like to call him boring (mostly people who don't understand grappling very well, I suspect) but the *fact* of the matter is that GSP was an extremely popular fighter and people paid to see him fight. Period. The end. Call him boring all you want, but he did just fine with the entertainment aspect of MMA.

i already said why he was popular. being popular and being entertaining are not the same. Canadians supported him, and he is a classy person.

so what? i'm not entitled to have an opinion that he's boring? i understand grappling, people who say "you don't know what's going on" don't know what's going on. if grappling was so fuckin exciting jiu jitsu would be on TV and pro wrestling wouldn't exist.

you know why pro wrestling exists? because it's fuckin boring watching ACTUAL wrestling. so they had to FAKE exciting shit in order to get people to watch.

think about that.

nobody is crying. i already said i don't really care that it's not a sport, and of course PrideFC was more biased, like i said, THEY WEREN'T TRYING TO PRETEND TO BE A SPORT.

boxing isn't even like MMA. boxing has MANDATORY CHALLENGERS that title holders must face or vacate. there is no champions in boxing that can hold titles hostage like in MMA.

being a sport is easy to follow. that's why there is rankings and shit in REAL sports, because the REAL sports rankings MATTER. not so in MMA.
So naive. Boxing has even more blatant ways to not follow their own structure. Look up Jose suliman and the WBC. Or ever heard of Don fucking King.
Stop crying. Stop your nonsense.

Boxing titles dont mean nearly as much in boxing because of the sanctioning bodies anyway,so if you dont want to defend your belt against a mandatory,you can just throw the belt in the trash where it belongs. And we still have no fight,and still corruption and bullshit in different ways and facets.

i already said why he was popular. being popular and being entertaining are not the same. Canadians supported him, and he is a classy person.

so what? i'm not entitled to have an opinion that he's boring? i understand grappling, people who say "you don't know what's going on" don't know what's going on. if grappling was so fuckin exciting jiu jitsu would be on TV and pro wrestling wouldn't exist.

you know why pro wrestling exists? because it's fuckin boring watching ACTUAL wrestling. so they had to FAKE exciting shit in order to get people to watch.

think about that.
Wrestling is the strongest. Gsp is king.

So naive. Boxing has even more blatant ways to not follow their own structure. Look up Jose suliman and the WBC. Or ever heard of Don fucking King.
Stop crying. Stop your nonsense.

Boxing titles dont mean nearly as much in boxing because of the sanctioning bodies anyway,so if you dont want to defend your belt against a mandatory,you can just throw the belt in the trash where it belongs. And we still have no fight,and still corruption and bullshit in different ways and facets.

boxing titles don't mean anything because there's a million sanctioning bodies and a million weight classes. back when there was ONE HW title, it DID mean something. but since boxing went the way of "everyone has to be a champ" it's the same as UFC giving out interim belts like candy canes on Christmas.

you can throw your belt in the trash like Riddick Bowe did when he ducked Lewis, but guess what? nobody gives a fuck about Riddick Bowe do they? while Lennox Lewis is lauded as one of the great HWs of our era.

this is a forum, a place where people come to "cry" just like you're crying about me thinking GSP is boring and that MMA isn't a sport, GUESS WHAT i'm allowed to have my own opinion. just like you're allowed to cry about yours.

I honestly think if GSP was American, he wouldn't have sold half of the PPVs that he did throughout his career. Americans simply don't support their own like the Canadians do (because demographics are far more varied), and GSP was the first huge name in the sport from that area so it makes sense why they latched onto him, hence why he was such a draw.

Still, nobody makes better decisions in and out of the cage than GSP.

Canada is so homogeneous that 20 years ago there was a referendum for a third of it to separate - and the vote was basically 51% said keep it together, 49% said separate. Think about it.

boxing titles don't mean anything because there's a million sanctioning bodies and a million weight classes. back when there was ONE HW title, it DID mean something. but since boxing went the way of "everyone has to be a champ" it's the same as UFC giving out interim belts like candy canes on Christmas.

you can throw your belt in the trash like Riddick Bowe did when he ducked Lewis, but guess what? nobody gives a fuck about Riddick Bowe do they? while Lennox Lewis is lauded as one of the great HWs of our era.

this is a forum, a place where people come to "cry" just like you're crying about me thinking GSP is boring and that MMA isn't a sport, GUESS WHAT i'm allowed to have my own opinion. just like you're allowed to cry about yours.
Too much crying girlie tears here. Also Riddick Bowe was the shit. Brownsville home of the brave.

Back