GSP: MMA is a business & we are entertainers first (people need to understand)

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score

In another thread last week, a member argues with me that GSP did not know how to sell his brand because he did not trash talk.
i explained you don't have to be Chael or Conor to be a smart businessman

This video he explains it in his own words.

Remember the exact definition of "sport" is ...

sport
spôrt/
noun
noun: sport; plural noun: sports
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

@LouisBolanos

Brock Lesnar is better at this sport than GSP

I honestly think if GSP was American, he wouldn't have sold half of the PPVs that he did throughout his career. Americans simply don't support their own like the Canadians do (because demographics are far more varied), and GSP was the first huge name in the sport from that area so it makes sense why they latched onto him, hence why he was such a draw.

Still, nobody makes better decisions in and out of the cage than GSP.

I honestly think if GSP was American, he wouldn't have sold half of the PPVs that he did throughout his career. Americans simply don't support their own like the Canadians do, and GSP was the first huge name in the sport from that area so it makes sense why he was such a draw.

Still, nobody makes better decisions in and out of the cage than GSP.

Americas is a mix of everyone from everywhere
Hard to get that same nation loyalty (when people are from everywhere) & when you do, there are usually issues by people

Hard to get that same nation loyalty (when people are from everywhere) & when you do, there are usually issues by people
Ha, I edited my post to include the demographics bit before I saw your reply

Great minds think alike I guess ;)

There's also a huge amount of Americans in the UFC leading to split loyalties. How many Canadians did GSP fight?

Yeah because Canada is a homogenous country that isn’t historically and legally split between two language groups with GSP belonging to a minority. Great logic.

Remember the exact definition of "sport" is ...

sport
spôrt/
noun
noun: sport; plural noun: sports
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

So MMA is a sport? Thanks, but I already knew that.

So MMA is a sport? Thanks, but I already knew that.

Have you been away from SD for the past 5 years?
There are numerous threads/post daily how MMA is not a sport (they way it is presented) because it focuses on "entertainment"

Have you been away from SD for the past 5 years?
There are numerous threads/post daily how MMA is not a sport (they way it is presented) because it focuses on "entertainment"

I know.

tenor.gif

I would like to know how much of his ppv sells comes from the US or from canada. don't think he would sell well if he wasn't canada's only semi-decent fighter. but maybe I'm wrong and the majority of the buys comes from the US

I would like to know how much of his ppv sells comes from the US or from canada. don't think he would sell well if he wasn't canada's only semi-decent fighter. but maybe I'm wrong and the majority of the buys comes from the US

most of his buyers are aliens lmaooo

If true, I want my money back.

Most are US
Mainly due to the volume of potential people

If you go by "per person" the average would be heavily Canadian

Most are US
Mainly due to the volume of potential people

If you go by "per person" the average would be heavily Canadian
yeah I wonder how much he would sell if he were american... because let's be honest, he wasn't the most exciting guy out there. but he was one of the GOATs

Back