GSP is boring.. how was he ever PPV king?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats literally almost 7 title fights of winning every single round.....but looking back its not suprising he wasnt in ANY sort of trouble or even looked vulnerable for the longest time from the beginning of his second reign all the way to the condit fight. not once.

I didnt even watch his last few fights because he was a known bore. I WILL watch him fight Bisping to see him get knocked out.

Gsp vs bisping is a travesty to the division. Regardless i can't wait to watch this fight it's gonna be dope. Is bisping too big? Is gsp still the same post usada? Hell GSP is fighting for a title, that's enough to make this a must watch personally.

Watching some of GSP's old fights.. just wondering why he was ever popular? The majority of his fights go to decisions (all of his last 7 fights went to decision), he got beaten by a midget Matt Serra and he doesn't know how to trash talk. Why did people ever like the guy? Was it just because he was Canadian?

he was popular mainly because he was a winner and was a major star for one country. sounds a lot like conor, except that conor finishes fights and his fighting-style is A LOT more entertaining.

Those Canada buys when he was champ.

I'm curious how many buys him vs Bisping will do, I don't know how much play it's getting in the frozen North but there doesn't seem like a whole lot of promotion for the card.

Is it on PPV in the UK or regular cable?

Those Canada buys when he was champ.

I'm curious how many buys him vs Bisping will do, I don't know how much play it's getting in the frozen North but there doesn't seem like a whole lot of promotion for the card.

Is it on PPV in the UK or regular cable?

I haven't seen any mention of it outside of MMA circles, but that's normal - even when he was champ he only got mentioned when nothing was happening in the major sports. That the NHL is already playing hurts his exposure a lot, and of course the World Series is coming up so what news the NHL doesn't get goes there.

Even when he was champ he was a niche sport guy so most people never heard of him. Put it this way, there are about 15 million households in Canada; if even 10% of those followed him he'd have a guaranteed 1.5 PPV buys per fight. He never got in that range even adding American viewers, so its unlikely that even 5% of Canadian households (or 2% of Canadians) follow him.

MMA is simply a niche sport. Far more Canadians watch even amateur hockey than GSP could dream to draw. When I was in sports bars when GSP was fighting, of ten TV sets only one would be on GSP's fights if the NHL was in season - and even that one would have the sound turned low not to interfere with the hockey. If the UFC was counting on Canadian viewers they'd have GSP fighting in summer, during the off season. Which makes me think they don't see Canadians as a particularly important portion of his viewers.

IWhich makes me think they don't see Canadians as a particularly important portion of his viewers.

Which seems bizarre since his buys over what the UFC averaged for champions were largely from Canada. Not like GSP was so exciting or anything.

I don't think this card is going to do as well as they think, not "super fight" numbers anyway

I think GSP benefited from the MMA boom. Everyone was watching MMA then. There were only 5 weight classes and if you were a champion, you were a star.

UFC and being a champion was the PPV draw.

If GSP was coming up now, he’d be pulling numbers barely better than Mighty Mouse and would be hated like Woodley.

Which seems bizarre since his buys over what the UFC averaged for champions were largely from Canada. Not like GSP was so exciting or anything.

I don't think this card is going to do as well as they think, not "super fight" numbers anyway

considering teh UFC generally doesn't release PPV numebrs, I'd love to hear how people come up with the numbers from just canada.

Meltzer isn't a reliable source.

Because he was extremely hard to beat, like Mayweather, it's not like we watch to see them win a decision victory, it's wanting to witness that moment in which they finally lose. The only people cheering for GSP are women or gay men.

Back then most fans appreciated technique over mic skills, clown clothes, horrible tattoos and terrible spelling.

this thread is the proof of his popularity

even when GSP was retired there was always a couple of GSP threads on the 1st page of the forums.

so TS, answer your own question.... why are you so fascinated by GSP that you created a thread about him? if you can answer that to yourself honestly, perhaps you will get the closure that you are seeking. Grasshopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back