GSP - Intermittent Fasting Changed My Life

Ok wow what an interesting thread. Learnt more here than Every thread in the past week combined. I did hear Gsp talk about it on JRE and atm Im off the alcohol and eating a diet just fucking off sugar and carbs (not complex carbs). Im doing this onnit 6 week transformation program which is working and im getting fit and I do my own weights after too but just mid heavy weights, one muscle group a day, 3 sets and 8 reps each for 3 exercises. So nothing crazy.

I do really want to try this IF from today. So for someone trying to understand more, should I start at say 12/12 for a week and then 14/10, 16/8 and finally 18/6? On the off hours, is it only water you should drink or can you have a fresh juice/smoothie? What do you eat at the eating zone? How long is it advised to do IF for?

Anyone interested to see the onnit program. Its free.
https://www.onnit.com/academy/5-reasons-why-you-cant-see-your-abs/

I don't have time to look through these studies in detail right now, but looking at the abstracts and taking a cursory glance that's some pretty weak evidence. Not that IF can't have benefits, but still. Hopefully I can read them tomorrow in more detail.

Last edited:
I don't have time to look through these studies in detail right now, but looking at the abstracts and taking a cursory glance that's some pretty weak evidence. Not IF can't have benefits, but still. Hopefully I can read them tomorrow in more detail.
I would agree that, in general, papers studying the effect of diet on various markers of health are weak. One major reason for this -- as more recent work is showing -- is that there are at least two timescales involved. There is a short (2-6 month) timescale that measures the initial response to the change in diet. This is the timescale explored by most research, for practical reasons. Follow-up studies are more rare, and tend to show that many of the short timescale effects go away (weight loss, for example) and can even be reversed (i.e., weight gain) on the 1 to 2-year timescale. I think follow-up studies always show that the any diet that involves caloric restriction below a threshold is a predictor of weight loss in the short term, and weight gain in the long (2 year) term. This does not bode well for athletes who cut weight, and indeed there is a Finnish study that compares former national athletes many years after competition. BF percentage is higher for athletes who had to cut weight (boxing, wrestling, etc) compared with those that didn't (skiing, etc). This is from memory so I may have details wrong.

With respect to TRF, the initial results that people got excited about used mice. This work was done by a UCSD group lead by this guy:

https://profiles.ucsd.edu/satchidananda.panda

One particular advantage of mice is their short lifespan (2 years) so you could actually test for the holy grail: mortality. TRF gives huge improvements in longevity in mice.

I only eat breakfast, I’ve got the sickest abs you’ve ever seeen

That and “fasting” although I haven’t found out yet what their definition of fasting is.
This is a new thing for me and am trying to figure out what I can do that will allow me to optimize my eating AND not promote uric acid buildup in my system. Pain in the ass really. I’ve been doing keto and/or high protein for a long time now and Now I’m a bit lost really. Haha.

Is fasting good for gout or bad?

GSP is right intermittent fasting really works. He said he sleeps well, but his weight stays the same and muscle mass is grown. He wished he knew intermittent fasting before. For me I couldn't lose my belly fat for few years no matter how hard I train and eat clean. After intermittent fasting few weeks I finally started losing my belly fat. Now I even have 2 packs. I eat during 6 hours a day and 18 hours without food. Just drink water mostly during that 18 hours. If you struggling to lose belly fat you should try this method. It really works!

You cannot build muscles by fasting or any kind of calorie deficit diet for that matter.

Even going with a low carb diet would stop the muscles from growing. You would lose fat and your muscles will be easier to see, but the muscles will not grow. Quite the contrary, the muscles would shrink.

You cannot grow by fasting, unless you're taking steroids and HGH (human growth hormone).

And as we have pointed out, its also not that simple.

It really is that simple, some of yall fat ass should learn how to stop eating so much calories. I did Intermiate fasting 6 years ago before it blew up, its nothing special. If you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight, no matter what kind of diet you are in.

And Gsp is so full of shit, trying to use IF angle to help him recover with his bs disease that he never had to begin with.

I started doing this Monday through Friday accidentally. I only drink a cup of coffee in the morning and water all day. I usually only eat between late afternoon until 8 or 9 pm.

I’d love to try it but it’s suppossed to be bad if you have gout and bad in general for your kidneys.
With gout I think you are supposed to avoid a Keto diet because of the amount of fat you are taking in.

With gout you are supposed to avoid fructose.
What has fat to do with gout?

Also, why would IF be bad for your kidneys?

Questions for intermittent fasters: Is this a lifestyle for you, or do you do this on and off? Also, what are some benefits that you personally have seen for yourself?

I've been doing IF for over 9 months. I fast for 16 hours (just water and some black coffee) and then have the eating window open for 8. I also try to eat more healthy by cutting down on sugar and processed foods. Since I started, I have lost about 10 pounds, but I was already pretty lean before starting. The weight that I have lost is from my ass and stubborn fat from around my stomach/waist that I could never get rid of just by exercising. I look and feel as good as I ever did since starting, and the fasting doesn't feel uncomfortable at all. And I'll cheat once in awhile depending on the occasion.

You cannot build muscles by fasting or any kind of calorie deficit diet for that matter.
Even going with a low carb diet would stop the muscles from growing. You would lose fat and your muscles will be easier to see, but the muscles will not grow. Quite the contrary, the muscles would shrink.
You cannot grow by fasting, unless you're taking steroids and HGH (human growth hormone).

The most popular form of the protocol is TRF (time-restricted feeding) which DOES NOT limit calories. It only narrows the feeding window. Here is an oversimplified illustration of the result of TRF on mice (not sure how faithfully it represents the research)

Hatori.2012.Time.Restricted.Feeding.of.High.Fat.Diet.Prevents.Obesity.1.jpg

Science may not be intuitive but our comprehension of it can be.

For instance it seems intuitively reasonable to me that practicing long term fasting might provide short term benefits (weight loss) but causes long term challenges in that it can lead to a greater propensity to store weight when you are not fasting and eating regularly.

We evolved as a people in most locations were Feast and Famine where common cycles. to combat the Famine our bodies became very efficient at learning how to store fat during Feast periods and people were generally seen as healthier who could store fat (rubenesque women) . Even our metabolisms adapted to slow to try and hold on to precious calories now that we may need later. the more an area goes through cycles of extreme fast/famine the more propensity you see for the body to store weight when food is available and thus the problem with African woman tendency towards obesity when food is abundant.

thankfully in modern history such cycles of famine are not common in the first world. But we can trick the body into believing they are via multi day fasts. again you may lose weight while you fast but you are telling your body we are again in times of feast and famine and you better remember how to store fat when we get it and to lower the metabolism to hold on to it. All things I do not want to trigger in my body and why i will not fast.

Intermittent fasting does not have the same peril as I do not think throughout history our bodies evolved to be eating most of the day anyway.

This is one of the most logical and sensible posts here.

With gout you are supposed to avoid fructose.
What has fat to do with gout?

Also, why would IF be bad for your kidneys?
Actually it’s purine levels of food. Fructose is bad but goods high in purines such as red meat, beer, shellfish are what you are supposed to avoid.

I am not sure how fasting would be bad for gout and/or your kidneys but the paperwork from the doc says so.

Been doing it for about 3 years. It's a game changer. I can even eat junk, drink beer (Cheat days not every day).

Gsp is goat. Imagine if he was doing IF during his title run? 50-42 across the board.

The notion, which is very common in resistance training circles, is that you should be eating numerous small meals per day to maximize your metabolism (or some equivalent bro science). Research over the last decade shows that at fixed calories, there is no added weight loss from multiple small meals. However, research also shows (and I'm sure everyone's personal experience confirms this) that more frequent feeding leads to greater appetite -- caused I would imagine from reduced insulin sensitivity.

The point is that the body needs some "rest" period from food to repair itself, just like it needs sleep for repair. Note also that HGH levels increase during the fasting period (insulin is antagonistic to growth hormone). So its not a stretch to believe that sleep and fasting go together to promote recovery.

A lot of these claims are silly in my opinion. I've been doing IF fasting on and off for 10 years now. Yes IF does help with losing weight because you are essentially eating less calories per day and it isn't as bad as it sounds because your body stays in a state of appetite suppressant (leptin decrease) until you eat again. It works great for losing weight vs eating smaller meals throughout the way which is a lot harder.

Insulin Sensitivity: I've seen various research which concluded that working out on a fasted state will increase the breakdown of fatty acid. I am assuming it's because your body is trying to quickly breakdown tissue to fuel your body with energy as quickly as possible to meet your body demands which isn't very efficient.

GH and Test claims. Many studies have concluded fasting does increase the release of GH and TEST while other research groups have concluded Test and IGF will decrease during a fasted state because of a calorie deficit. From what I've seen many of these articles who had an increased in GH and Test were due to exercise on a fast. In either case the median amount of GH/TEST released into their system was a negligible amount.

Can you build muscle while on a Fast? Yes and No. If your body has enough fat you can use those fatty acids for energy to build muscles. Issue 1: In a fasted state your body lacks the protein to build muscle. Where the hell are you going to get that protein from? Whey protein is broken down into amino acids within a few hours. The more complex foods like beef may take as long as 24 hours to breakdown while other studies say it's within a few hours. Issue 2: A state of equilibrium. Up to a certain point you can build muscle on a diet. The more muscle mass you have the less effective it is. If you have more muscle mass than what your body can support on a diet then you aren't in a state of growth and it isn't possible to build muscle.

tltr: Mass building on fasting is bullshit unless you have little muscle . IF is not a magic pill

Last edited:
Back