GSP has never met an opponent he could not defeat. Objectively how is he not the greatest?

Greatness is subjective. I think we can all agree that accomplishments determine how great a fighter is but some people value certain accomplishments over others. Some think winning is most important. Some think the quality of competition you've beaten is more important. Some people value the length of winning streaks. Some value performances (e.g. having more finishes than decisions).

I think Georges St. Pierre, Anderson Silva and Fedor Emelianenko are definitely Top 3 and would put Jon Jones at #4 with Demetrious Johnson at #5. Now among these fighters you could make arguments for who is #1 based on different criteria. I think we need to wait and see who pulls away as all of these fighters are still active. I predict that in 10 to 15 years we may see other fighters who are so good they completely change the conversation.
I agree with this post other then one thing. Names, Finishing and types of wins are something that is judged subjectively. The NUMBERS on a record wins and losses even titles are concrete. Mayweather has said he is the best to play the game not the best boxer he says someone else can have that. The best to play the game that is boxing promotion, selling fights, marketing, branding. In MY opinion that is another reason why GSP is the GOAT. He is the best to ever do the entire MMA game from a fighter standpoint.

If two parties wanted the fight, and one backs out that is the definition of ducking.

Anderson and Dana wanted it and GSP didn't.

Okay, by that logic if Cain Velasquez and Dana wanted St. Pierre to fight Cain and Georges declined, he would be ducking.

lol at Jones being the goat. Most of his opponents were really 185ers who he had a 10 inch reach advantage on. He is the LHW GOAT, I'll give you that, but I don't hold him in the same regard as GSP or Fedor. Jon also pissed hot. Don't care if he "unknowingly" did it. How convenient?

Actually USADA cleared him, but you know, make up whatever bullshit helps you sleep at night bro - I could give a shit.

USADA also cleared Cyborg, when she was clearly roiding. USADA is a farce, its totally political. You do realize that the UFC has the final say? Look it up bro.

Serra knocked him the fuck out. GSP was scared to stand with him in the rematch.

Doesn't change the fact he never ducked, didn't move up for a challenge, fair enough, didn't attempt history, fair enough, doesn't change the fact that not moving up a division(that is a large jump, 170-185) just because the ufc president wants to make money off you isn't ducking. Anderson didn't duck Jones either.
GSP "dodged" that fight then.

And Anderson clearly ducked Jones. He even admits it.

GSP was walking around at ~180. If he never gained muscle he would be 15-20lbs smaller every fight. As it is he only went up to 185-187, not that much. He was very small for WW.
Well he was less muscular early in his career and he was much quicker and would have better IMO
He didn't do much to Condit. Landed a little bit in his guard, peppered him with jabs. Condit did more damage in a 30 second sequence that Georges did the whole fight.

Jake Shields might be the worst striker in UFC history. GSP should have been able to put hands on him blindfolded.
That is bullshit. Condit received a beating. Until that leg kick to the head, he had nothing on GSP.
As per Shields, his striking is awkward for sure and he lacks power, but he finds his opponents face more often than many.

Well he was less muscular early in his career and he was much quicker and would have better IMO

That is bullshit. Condit received a beating. Until that leg kick to the head, he had nothing on GSP.
As per Shields, his striking is awkward for sure and he lacks power, but he finds his opponents face more often than many.
Condit is a beast too. Hendricks wouldnt even do GnP and just held Condit down until the standup because of how good his bottom game is.

And yet not a single other GOAT candidate can say they so completely dominated the fights they were in. Fedor had problems in damn near all of his fights but found a way to win, and Anderson almost lost to Chael before the last minute sub. GSP never really came that close to losing until the Condit headkick, and he still arguably won that round despite being knocked down. I wish GSP had been more aggressive, but the effectiveness of his style can't be denied and his superiority relative to his opponents is unmatched.
Never came that close to losing? Many people think he lost the first fight to Penn

he is. there's just a whole lot of pride nostalgia clouding some judgments.

Silva was my GOAT until he got popped for PEDs. Probably on equal ranking with JJ.
I very much like Fedor but I dont consider him GOAT just like all these Pride fighters. Too much doping going on and WWE style show than real fighting.

GSP is GOAT for me unless he gets popped for PEDs which I doubt (considering he is #1 campaigner for PED testing in UFC).

maxresdefault.jpg

Only Jones was never decisioned or finished and did it in the most stacked division

I agree, gsp is the best, ya gotta give it to him, dude comes back and takes the mw belt, I don't give a shit who had it, that shits amazing, not to mention he chocked him the fuck out, what rockhold do, got knocked out

Back