GSP and Namajunas nominated for 2018 ESPY

GPS should win medical miracle of the year as the first ever UFC fighter to get LESS healthy moving UP a weight class.

It's the second time he's had problems putting on weight.

Blame Bisping.

GSP was angling for a shot at the MW title long before Bisping was champion. Bisping could have fought someone else, but chose to wait. Not GSP's fault.
Lol that GSP wanted to fight any MW not named Bisping. He was retired and talked about coming back the whole time. Then within weeks of Bisping winning he title he got serious about coming back. Then as soon as he had to fight another MW he left.

How naive can you be?

Ah I see, silly me. Bisping is P4P #1 still (and forever).

It was kinda joke, but Bisping being 2016 Fighter of the Year is fact. And who beaten him? GSP (lol). I'm still confused how many fans claims that some fighters are overrated (Joanna, Aldo, Rockhold, Weidmann, Bisping) and then trying to elevate their favorites by saying "oh he/she is good, because he/she beaten him/he". I've found it's amusing and kinda stupid.
Aldo lost to someone younger and with reach, high advantage. Same Frankie Edgar. Even after two losses Aldo is better fighter than Holloway, skillwise, same with Frankie and Ortega. You have to be blind if you don't see best skill of Holloway and Ortega is huge weight cutting,so Edgar looks like 2 classes below Ortega. GSP picked up 38-years champion with fucking one eye and won, yay, fucking epic. Rose got title shot out of nowhere and was lucky to fight champion struggling with weight cutting and probably at point being a bit washed up, showed nothing more than solid boxing. Yay,she deserves it. People should start watching fights.
Meanwhile Dana White probably trying to figure out how to strip Whittaker, who is fighting bigger guys and winning after epic fights, and how to make Brock Lesnar HW champion again (he gonna match up very well against DC,but not Stipe lol).

It was kinda joke, but Bisping being 2016 Fighter of the Year is fact. And who beaten him? GSP (lol). I'm still confused how many fans claims that some fighters are overrated (Joanna, Aldo, Rockhold, Weidmann, Bisping) and then trying to elevate their favorites by saying "oh he/she is good, because he/she beaten him/he". I've found it's amusing and kinda stupid.
Aldo lost to someone younger and with reach, high advantage. Same Frankie Edgar. Even after two losses Aldo is better fighter than Holloway, skillwise, same with Frankie and Ortega. You have to be blind if you don't see best skill of Holloway and Ortega is huge weight cutting,so Edgar looks like 2 classes below Ortega. GSP picked up 38-years champion with fucking one eye and won, yay, fucking epic. Rose got title shot out of nowhere and was lucky to fight champion struggling with weight cutting and probably at point being a bit washed up, showed nothing more than solid boxing. Yay,she deserves it. People should start watching fights.
Meanwhile Dana White probably trying to figure out how to strip Whittaker, who is fighting bigger guys and winning after epic fights, and how to make Brock Lesnar HW champion again (he gonna match up very well against DC,but not Stipe lol).

<{Joewithit}>

Lol that GSP wanted to fight any MW not named Bisping. He was retired and talked about coming back the whole time. Then within weeks of Bisping winning he title he got serious about coming back. Then as soon as he had to fight another MW he left.

How naive can you be?

I'm not naive, I pay attention.

He started talking about the MW belt before Bisping was champion. It took forever to iron out the details with the UFC (thanks Reebok) and then Bisping was champion.

Even if you're rabidly committed to the "GSP only came back for Bisping" narrative, Bisping didn't have to wait for him.

giving someone an award for 1 fight against bisping is a joke

does that make me a gsp hater?

It's not about quantity of fights.
I think a lot of people still underrate what GSP has done. They try to make it as a personality contest. "He choose the easy fight in Bisping".
But it's not that simple. As weak as Bisping can be he was still an absolutely legitimate holder of the MW strap and GSP coming out of retirement and not just decision him, but drop him, choke him out, and capturing the title once held by Anderson Silva is a very impressive accomplishment, which I think has no analogue this year.

{Joewithit}

My point is: Whittaker, Stipe are underrated as hell and should be where GSP's and Namajunas are. If you shit on Bisping or Joanna, stop saying GSP and Namajunas done something special.

My point is: Whittaker, Stipe are underrated as hell and should be where GSP's and Namajunas are. If you shit on Bisping or Joanna, stop saying GSP and Namajunas done something special.

You’re all over the place buddy, relax.

You’re all over the place buddy, relax.
I'm,very funny thread to read. People trying to explain how elite GSP won was against Bisping, guy who was 1 fight from retirement because he had problem with his second eye. I like Bisping and he is very good fighter, but you can't ignore fact he is old, and not in his prime, he was KO'd by Kelvin in 1st round 3 weeks later...GSP Fighter of the Year.
I won't even comment Rose, because people here hate wmma or think about it via smaller head so it's pointless.

giving someone an award for 1 fight against bisping is a joke

does that make me a gsp hater?
Huge gsp fan and yeah he shouldn't be nominated for one fight

ESPYs are so weird. Conor got one just a few months after getting finished by Diaz. Then MM won the next year somehow for beating Wilson Reis (I don't know how he got the votes regardless if that's the way it's done).

I'm not naive, I pay attention.

He started talking about the MW belt before Bisping was champion. It took forever to iron out the details with the UFC (thanks Reebok) and then Bisping was champion.

Even if you're rabidly committed to the "GSP only came back for Bisping" narrative, Bisping didn't have to wait for him.
If you could cite articles detailing that GSP wanted to return at Middleweight prior to Bisping winning the title, that'd be great, because I haven't found any.

What I did find, however, was GSP saying back in October of 2014 that if he returned it would be at Welterweight:
Georges St-Pierre said:
Still, at 200 pounds (if I come back) it will be at welterweight. The guys in my division walk around over 200 pounds. Even before when I used to compete, I was very small.

https://www.mmamania.com/2014/10/30...f-muscle-but-would-return-as-welterweight-mma

He later reinforced this statement one year later in October of 2015:
Georges St-Pierre said:
"I watch the fights to see what's going on in my division, and I'm staying in shape. It's like a knife that I have to keep sharp just in case I ever decide to jump back in the mix. It's not for sure that it won't happen in 2015, but I'm not sure yet."

https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10...ng-to-feel-like-returning-to-the-ufc-more-and

And from what I've gathered, talks of Bisping/GSP were brought up in October of 2016 (odd how these three things occurred in October):

I have nothing against St-Pierre, but it's quite evident that he would've never fought at Middleweight had Bisping not won the title. Woodley winning the Welterweight title the same year also likely influenced his decision.

A WMMA-hater who misleadingly posts on Sherdog under a WMMA fighter user-name... calling somebody "a fraud"? LOL !
<{cruzshake}>
i dont hate the idea of women fighting i just pointed out the fact that all the current women mma fighters are very unskilled. so you are saying im misleading people because having a username like the nickname of a wmma fighter must mean i must think that female fighters are skilled? and how would all of that make me unable to point out a fraud?

nice - two awesome fighters who are both great representatives of the sport too.

Who cares? GSP and Rose have about the same chance as I have in actually winning that award lol

Crawford went 3-0 with 3 stoppages and won a title in his 3rd weightclass
Loma went 4-0 with 4 stoppages and won a title in his 3rd weightclass

The fact the GSP is nominated hints that the espys may be more about popularity than accomplishments over the past 12 months. I like GSP, but it's pretty ridiculous that he's up for this.

They are coming
giphy.webp
Holy shit it is actually Dozer(aka Toner)

GSP is probably GOAT, but it would be #1 bullshit if he wins the award off of one fight.

Don't follow boxing enough to have much of an opinion on Loma or Crawford, though I do realize the win over Rigondeaux was pretty big. Gonna go with THUG ROSE! for this one

I'm a big GSP fan but I have to agree with you.

What he did was moderately stupendous (coming back after 4 years, moving up in weight for the first time, finishing bisping capturing second weight class belt) but there are more deserving fighters.

Back