GSP and Namajunas nominated for 2018 ESPY

Don't believe either will win but it's still a very nice nomination.

Props to both.

I'm confused about what this represents 2018 is far from over, but if it represents 2017 only why's it mention the 223 win for Rose? Hope rose gets it anyways it was an epic year for her. Gsp only had one fight and while I don't follow those boxers I don't think they had any recent wins that were as earth shattering as this more beating guys they were easy favorites for.

am i the only one who finds these picks ridiculous? GSP is a fraud and not a top fighter in 2018 and how is wmma even eligible? the standard is much lower than male mma. do these people even follow the sport?

am i the only one who finds these picks ridiculous? GSP is a fraud and not a top fighter in 2018 and how is wmma even eligible? the standard is much lower than male mma. do these people even follow the sport?
A WMMA-hater who misleadingly posts on Sherdog under a WMMA fighter user-name... calling somebody "a fraud"? LOL !
<{cruzshake}>

Can we give also Gastelum one too, since he breezed thru the guy GSP went life and death with and also beat Jacare (who GSP would never beat)?

GSP? Why?
Brian Ortega is my fighter of the year.
GSP is more popular, that is it. There are a lot of fighters more deserving, from Max, to DJ, to TJ, to Stipe, to Whittaker and even D.C. Beating Bisping at this point is something half the welterweight division could do. We all know GSP was never going to fight a top MW and will never fight a top WW either - it is just embarrassing that people pretend otherwise and act like he is still a top fighter.

Can we give also Gastelum one too, since he breezed thru the guy GSP went life and death with and also beat Jacare (who GSP would never beat)?

Gastelum breezed through a fighter GSP had just concussed and choked out. No way that fight should have happened, Bisping started it on queer street.

Just nice to be nominated... But.. unless you are Ronda. Don't see them winning.

GSP is more popular, that is it. There are a lot of fighters more deserving, from Max, to DJ, to TJ, to Stipe, to Whittaker and even D.C. Beating Bisping at this point is something half the welterweight division could do. We all know GSP was never going to fight a top MW and will never fight a top WW either - it is just embarrassing that people pretend otherwise and act like he is still a top fighter.

Guy comes back from retirement and wins the MW title. It's a good story.

I also think a lot of people would be very surprised at what Bisping could actually have done to other welterweights. If you're judging him by the fight he had immediately after being concussed, you're being either silly or disingenuous.

Guy comes back from retirement and wins the MW title. It's a good story.

I also think a lot of people would be very surprised at what Bisping could actually have done to other welterweights. If you're judging him by the fight he had immediately after being concussed, you're being either silly or disingenuous.
It is a good story but that is it. It was just one fight and against a guy who would realistically not even be in top 10 at MW when GSP fought him. It's a good story, but does that warrant him being the fighter of the year, especially when guys like Loma demolished Riggy, went 4-0 and won a third title in faster time than any fighter in history?

As far as the KG fight - I believe KG would have done what he did pre or post GSP, as he is just a much better boxer than GSP and would catch that left on Blindsping all day. The 13th ranked Hendo fight gave us a taste of where Bisping really was; i.e. no where near the elite atp.

GPS should win medical miracle of the year as the first ever UFC fighter to get LESS healthy moving UP a weight class.

No, but you are not one of the haters I was talking about.

Also, though I can agree the one fight alone probably shouldn't do it, it was impressive to come back after 4 years and go up a weight class and win the belt.
You see that is the problem people have with GSP. Some fans glorify his come back as he conquered MW, while those who know the whole history know that it was a farce that screwed over the MW division.

It is a good story but that is it. It was just one fight and against a guy who would realistically not even be in top 10 at MW when GSP fought him. It's a good story, but does that warrant him being the fighter of the year, especially when guys like Loma demolished Riggy, went 4-0 and won a third title in faster time than any fighter in history?

As far as the KG fight - I believe KG would have done what he did pre or post GSP, as he is just a much better boxer than GSP and would catch that left on Blindsping all day. The 13th ranked Hendo fight gave us a taste of where Bisping really was; i.e. no where near the elite atp.

I mostly agree with all of that.

Who cares? GSP and Rose have about the same chance as I have in actually winning that award lol

Crawford went 3-0 with 3 stoppages and won a title in his 3rd weightclass
Loma went 4-0 with 4 stoppages and won a title in his 3rd weightclass
Another male should have been nominated but GSP has a hot bod and name recognition so let’s nominate him!

You see that is the problem people have with GSP. Some fans glorify his come back as he conquered MW, while those who know the whole history know that it was a farce that screwed over the MW division.

Blame Bisping.

GSP was angling for a shot at the MW title long before Bisping was champion. Bisping could have fought someone else, but chose to wait. Not GSP's fault.

Back