Grip training program.

LZD

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I am introducing grip training into my routine. I lift 3 days per week (5x5). Anyone have any advice as to how to set this up? I've read the FAQ but didn't see any programs. Also after anecdotal advice as to what "works".

I have:

1. CoC Trainer (with heavier grippers coming soon)

2. A wrist roller.

3. I'm also interested in plate pinching.

I figure deadlifts, heavy pendlay rows, and curls would cover "support grip", whilst the grippers cover "crush" and the pinching obviously "pinch" grip. Wrist roller for forearm hypertrophy.

Would my lifting routine plus 1,2,3 leave all bases covered?

There is a recent article on TNation on forearm training.

I use a fatbar for a lot of rows and lighter deadlifting. You can build one or just get some fat grips.

I also do Gripper work, but not as frequently as I should. I try to not let it interfere with deadlift day but I really should just use straps if I need. Also, the #3 CoC is stout.

fat bar or those crappy plastic things you slip on a normal bar to make it bigger. Heavy jump rope, Deadlifts, COC grippers.

www.gripboard.com

A wrist roller or different lifts with a thick bar (reverse wristcurls included) really does cover all areas in general, except perhaps narrow crush strength (but wide pinch/thick bar is said to transfer well). But yeah, for more specificity, your routine works fine. The only thing lacking (and it might be good for preventing injuries and rehab) is levering, side to side especially.

Last edited:
I second the post before mine. the gripboard has literally every nuance of every type of grip training you can imagine, and then some.

A friend had to told me once to strengthen your grip and fist, get a bucket of sand and slice through it with your finger tips to your palm and then grab the sand and squeeze hardest you can. repeat .. i used to do it and worked pretty well

won't that fuck up your nail polish? manicures ain't cheap, bruh.

A friend had to told me once to strengthen your grip and fist, get a bucket of sand and slice through it with your finger tips to your palm and then grab the sand and squeeze hardest you can. repeat .. i used to do it and worked pretty well

Thanks guys. But what about programs? Training frequency?

Wrist roller is the best grip tool imo. It covers most aspects of grip, wrist strength, pinch(by working the thumb pad), crushing etc. I would use that at least once a week, 3-5 sets close to failure. Grippers are for fun, no real practical use. I would throw them in on another day, work up to a few singles or forced closes and holds with a tough gripper and do a few back off sets with something easier, sets of 10-20. Grip responds well to volume.

Take a look at this thread on the grip board: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=12608

It is a beginner routine to strengthen your hands before you start doing more advanced stuff. I've done it & really enjoyed it.

I've also run the RRBT program for grippers with good success.

I started with a very weak grip and now have a pretty strong one. I didn't need to buy or make any special tools. All I really did for it was double overhand deadlifts and rack pulls (chalk, no straps), holding the bar as long as I could at lockout.

I used to need to switch to mixed grip at 275 lbs, but now I can do up to 365 double overhand.

Thanks guys. But what about programs? Training frequency?

Training frequency is one of the things I was wondering about myself. My grip strength varies greatly b/c my grip has to do so much "work". This is clearly a sign that my grip is not recurperating enough.

What days should I put grippers and wrist rolls on my 5/3/1 routine?

Great info in here, will definetly check out the beginner programme calvus posted.

Played around today with some plate curls, which were interesting to say at least.
Wanted to do some reverse wrist curls, but aparrently I'm not able to do them sitting and with a bar.

kind of related. I work in a cubical where im just sitting doing nothing at all. I took up grip training a few months and picked a pair of COC to work on while im sitting at work. They work wonders IMO. If you do decide to pick up a pair, pick up number 1 (140 lbs). Most guys who train or do any kind of physical activities wont be able to close number 1. Im workin on closing 2.5 now, goal is 3.

My classmate took 1st place on out city's powerlifting championship in his weight class. Only thing he was doing for his grip are deadlifts and hanging on a pull up bar for time. Max time hang with both hands and then alternating between each hand.

I always pinch the plates whatever the exercise im going to do.Just move and carry all the plates while pinching them.

i love to do forearm exercises and recently had a great increment in size and strenght by doing inverted curls with cables.

i used to squish socks for hand conditioning.

i also do fist and finger pushups.

dont know about my overall grip strenght but i never failed any exercise because of grip weakness.

www.gripboard.com

A wrist roller or different lifts with a thick bar (reverse wristcurls included) really does cover all areas in general, except perhaps narrow crush strength (but wide pinch/thick bar is said to transfer well). But yeah, for more specificity, your routine works fine. The only thing lacking (and it might be good for preventing injuries and rehab) is levering, side to side especially.

I agree except for the wrist roller part. How does wrist rolling (extensions/curls) even translate into sports such as combat ones?

Back