Greg Hardy is already a top 10 HW. Let’s put feelings aside and be real here

Discussion in 'The Wasteland' started by Njmma209, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Njmma209

Njmma209 Brown Belt

Tuivasa fanboys detected. Or bitter nerds still upset about Colby/RDA.

MMA MASTER and Matty da Ranga like this.
  2. The Dreamcatcher

The Dreamcatcher Yellow Belt

I`m genuinely wondering whether you`re above the age of 12 or not at this point.

Adjutant and Johnny_Knuckles like this.
  3. Matty da Ranga

Matty da Ranga Banned Banned

I've sparred average Joes, a few pro Muay Thai fighters, and rugby players here in Australia who had little to no training, and trust me when I tell you that they're fine with getting hit in the face. American football has also been scientifically proven to be a more violent sport than rugby.

Mr.Maelstrom and Gregoire1 like this.
  4. irezawa

irezawa White Belt

No, he's not. He might be able to beat some top 10 fighters so go ahead and compare him to them, but you can't call anyone a top 10 fighter with 1-0 record. Let's be real.

5. slimeball

slimeball Green Belt

Sigh, oh sherdog. You guys see one knock out and we are already on "best HW ever OMG OMG". Greg Hardy has speed and power and the potential to be a star, but lets cool it a bit. His opponent was compleatly out of position on that one. Tai has MUCH better fundamentals that gregs opponent, it would be at least a 50 / 50 fight. And if KO power was everything - why isnt Nganu champion right now?

Fyreborn and Hungry Joe like this.
  6. moogie101

moogie101 Green Belt

A-level athletes are great & all but MMA has so many variables & so many ways to lose that being some genetic freak doesn't automatically make you a champ.

The fact that he's in ATT is a good sign & hopefully working on his complete game, down the line we may be looking at a future star but lets not talk about chucking him in the top ten which as shallow as it is right now is an ocean by comparison of who he's fighting now.

7. moreorless87

moreorless87 First In The Phone Book

Tuivasa's rise for me is a sign of HW's decline, he's the kind of guy who would have been top 20ish in the past IMHO.

lsa and MMA MASTER like this.
  8. GordonMMARamsey

GordonMMARamsey Brown Belt

They both looked terrible. Dudes going to get starched if they put him in there with anyone in the top 20.

PopeUrbanII likes this.
  9. Melas Chasma

Melas Chasma Red Belt

I dont doubt there can be some correlation between NFL athletes and that kind of right mentality. Its just that people here in these discussions view it as a non factor, like all you need is athleticism and you have all the potential if you just train. It just doesn't work like that, MMA is a very unique sport. The ability to enjoy fighting enough that you are willing to do it for a living is far more rare than people seem to think.

Mr.Maelstrom and Matty da Ranga like this.
  10. Matty da Ranga

Matty da Ranga Banned Banned

That's a very sensible stance to take, and I agree to an extent, but keep in mind that Rumble has said that he "hated fighting", and only did it because he was a good athlete and it came to him naturally. So he basically showed up for a paycheck like most 9-5ers. GSP has also echoed similar sentiments.

Melas Chasma and Gregoire1 like this.
  11. vanzellam82

vanzellam82 Silver Belt

I don't even know who the hell Greg Hardy is, even less Trai Tuivasa. I know it's my fault but this HW division is so trash I don't even bother.

+1 post

MMA MASTER likes this.
  12. Jim Gilmore

Jim Gilmore Blue Belt

Greg Hardy will always lose to the Stipes and Frances and Jons because they possess certain athletic gifts suited to mma, combined with a lifetime more training and experience.

But he can beat everyone else.

As for what he did to that chick, if you look at the case, he obviously is guilty. But I just personally don’t care.

MMA MASTER likes this.
  13. DesiredUserName

DesiredUserName Blue Belt

Well, You could make the case that "In today's NFL you just need to be big and a little bit athletic to be a top player...". Many of these guys are not exactly all-around athletes.

MMA MASTER and Johnny_Knuckles like this.
  14. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Silver Belt

What you say is true but incomplete.

Yes only a small percentage of any group would have the mental requirements for fighting.

But EVEN less people outside the A-level Athletes would have those mental requirements.

So if you took 100 A-Level athletes and 100 people from the group that was everyone but the A Level athletes you would have far more A level Athletes cutting it as top fighters than in the other group. VASTLY more.

Mr.Maelstrom and Matty da Ranga like this.
  15. Raksas

Raksas Yellow Card Yellow Card

I'm not familiar with the NFL at all. There are actually good athletes in the UFC. Just not in the upper divisions, for the most part. HW used to be a good division 14 or so years ago and today a lot of the top HW's are still the same old guys that competed 15 years ago. That should tell you all. Something happened along the way. A guy like Mark Hunt isn't still top 10 because he evolved. He fights the same way he did 20 years ago only slower and stiffer and yet still is #6. HW division is a complete joke

MikeMcMann likes this.
  16. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Silver Belt

^this.

Not every top cross over will automatically succeed in fighting. Many of the top decorated wrestlers and top BJJ guys failed while lesser guys succeeded. And that is because not everyone has ALL of the aspects to be a great fighter but some may have a few that can make a splash.

So no one should ever judge a sports cross over ability via a few individuals. You need lots to attempt to cross over before a number of them will separate themselves as having all the elements to be great at fighting

Look at someone like Matt Hughes who was a good but not great Collage wrestler and who had far more success in MMA than other more highly decorated wrestlers. That is how it works. You need lots to find the ones.

MMA MASTER, Mr.Maelstrom and MusterX like this.
  17. SpedDaddyV

SpedDaddyV GOAT

This

Michael Chiesa can do all the jitsu he likes but put him against someone like Julio Jones and it won’t be pretty

18. 007

007 License to Kill

Lets not jump the gun. It was his pro debut. He will be a solid fighter but still lots to work on.

19. MusterX

MusterX Titanium Belt

I've seen many prospects come along over the years that look amazing until they fight UFC caliber opponents and then they don't look so amazing anymore. Maybe this guy is legit but I wouldn't judge it on a Tuesday night fight for sure.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  20. Orni

Orni Purple Belt

No MMA hardcores realize it takes much more than being a specimen to climb to the top of MMA.

Yeah Jones wouldn't be biased towards... his... brother? LOL Velasquez would smash him. You sound clueless.

MMA MASTER likes this.