Greenhill Tiger Boxing Gloves

brucelee

The King of Nunchaku
@White
Reaction score
We have three pairs of Green Hill boxing gloves in the gyms that we lend to members who can't afford to buy their own gear. We have a couple of other brands, too. Today, I am going to write a bit about the Green Hill gloves as I saw another thread about them. We purchased three different types of Green Hill gloves about three years ago. I of each: Tiger, Gym and Panther. Two of them we trashed after about 1 years, but the pair with the 14 Oz. model descriptor Tiger is still in use after about three years of daily, commercial usage. It shows tear and wear, but the padding is still functional to about 70% and the leather holds up pretty well.

sherdog-greenhills1.jpg

The leather has various abrasions and a view bumps from on the striking area. Those bumps are nothing to worry about. The colour pigments in the leather and the sweat captured in the padding seem to produce those. I also see them at older model of Top Ten gloves. The stitching of the Tiger gloves is solid. Not as fancy as Mexican gloves, but technically well done to withstand strong stress. Durable for sure.

sherdog-greenhill2.jpg sherdog-inhands-leather.jpg
The colour comes off of the edges a bit. In regards of the heavy usage they have endured they are still pretty good. You have to remember: we didn't really apply any care products to them and in many days they didn't dry out before they were used again the next day.

sherdog-greenhills-inhand.jpg

The last picture shows about the only damage that is visible. A 1 inch tear that is well contained and has no influence on functionality.
Overall it is a great glove for a bit less than 100 bucks. They compare well to older models of Top Ten, but these days Green Hill Tiger is probably more durable in comparison.
I will sort thru some of our boxes of equipment and post another review sooner or later.

They look like generic Muay Thai gloves.

They look like generic Muay Thai gloves.

It's not a Muay Thai thing per se.
Top Ten started that design in 1986 since it was the first modern boxing glove with polyurethane pads and velcro fastening. At first it was used in kickboxing (WAKO) and not in boxing. Ever since all other companies are cloning this setup. Twins was the first Thai brand to clone TopTen around 1990. Many other brands followed and keep it that way until today.

It's not a Muay Thai thing per se.
Top Ten started that design in 1986 since it was the first modern boxing glove with polyurethane pads and velcro fastening. At first it was used in kickboxing (WAKO) and not in boxing. Ever since all other companies are cloning this setup. Twins was the first Thai brand to clone TopTen around 1990. Many other brands followed and keep it that way until today.

Are you sure about that? If you look at Muay Thai fights from the late 1970's they look near identical, Fairtex gloves from the late 70's also look identical. Not sure when Twins started up but I'm almost certain Top Ten didn't start this design, Fairtex began making gloves like that because they allow for more movement of the wrist in the clinch, the first recorded Velcro fastening gloves that I can recall were from around 1955 and a company/person branded Corti in Argentina.

When I look at Muay Thai fights from the 80ies they were wearing mostly short cuffed Windy gloves with tiny laces and padded with cotton balls. They looked more like bag gloves. I bought a pair back then and they sucked. Luckily the rules allowed to tape and wrap your hands with as much as you wanted - unlike boxing where we were limited to 2 meters. Velcros might have been around before, but they weren't really accepted on a commercial scale until TopTen was approved by AIBA in 1988 at the World Championships in Moscow. I knew the inventor of TopTen and he was a class act. Tood bad he died.

Shape of Green Hills and Top Ten gloves etc are different than Muay Thai gloves. Have some similarities but they're not the same. Green Hill's nothing luxurious but they make good stuff.

Back