• Floyd Mayweather Jr.

• Other (specify)

• Wilt Chamberlain

Results are only viewable after voting.
Easily one of the best figures in sports

151210-paige-spiranac-dubai.jpg

48F2010E00000578-5360295-image-a-9_1517959853489.jpg
paige_5.jpg

Interesting to see Jordan in a comfortable lead, I thought it would be Ali.

Interesting to see Jordan in a comfortable lead, I thought it would be Ali.
I think most people went back and forth and then picked the one that meant more to them personally. I have never cared about basketball but I still feel like I've taken in a lifetimes worth of 90's Bulls game.

I was thinking the other day that there is no iconic American food that isn't just awful for you. Burgers, fries, shakes, apple pie, hot dogs, we take pride in weird things. Delicious, weird things.

I don't think burgers and fries were US invented, it has become popular there but don't think they get the credit.

I don't think burgers and fries were US invented, it has become popular there but don't think they get the credit.
Well the hamburger is most likely German and such, but I meant "iconic" American food. It's technically incorrect, but spiritually I think it's accurate to say those foods conjure images have been co-opted by America.

If it's worldwide, probably a soccer player.. maybe Rinaldo or Messi.

In the US, it's probably Jordan, Ali or Tiger

Not 100% sure, but I think some cricket players are more popular than a bunch of the people on the list. Heck, probably even table tennis, both sports largely thanks to one country, hahaha

I'm going to throw this out there for more support for Jordan.

The Bulls/Sonics series in the mid 90s my family had some of my mom's friends from Japan and their university students stay with us for like a week and a half.

They SPECIFICALLY chose to come during the NBA Finals for a chance to watch Jordan in person.

Ali or Ruth - Tests - 1. dominated a dominant sport at a time the sport was one of two or three dominant sports in the country, 2. very strong case for being the GOAT at that sport based on statistics as well as fan and expert opinion - Ruth and Ali clearly meet this test , 3. changed the character of the sport (Ruth definitely played a big role in ushering in the home run era), 4. Had huge society-wide notoriety and respect - the "candy bar named after him" factor, 5. Arguably increased the public support for the sport after a down era - Ruth for baseball after the Black Sox scandal, Ali for boxing after the relatively boring title reigns of Patterson and Marciano.

Back